Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Oh no - thought I was set with our Paris pick but now questioning? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/oh-no-thought-i-was-set-with-our-paris-pick-but-now-questioning-675809/)

NY2005 Feb 1st, 2007 12:33 PM

Oh no - thought I was set with our Paris pick but now questioning?

Please help! I thought I was all set with staying in the 7th for my husband and my first trip to Paris due to the central location and proximity to the Eiffel. However, pouring through these threads, it sounds like the 7th is more residential, and that there is not much night life or activity there? Is getting around so easy that we could be out late anywhere and get back to our hotel in the 7th with ease, or would you suggest we stay in a different area to ensure some night time bustle? If so, which arrondisment?

Weadles Feb 1st, 2007 12:41 PM

I think the 6th is much more lively at night, and very central for exploring Paris. I'm not sure why you need the proximity to the Eiffel Tower, anyway, unless you were booking a hotel room with a view of it.

Leely Feb 1st, 2007 12:43 PM

Well, if it's your first trip, and you really want that yowza view, I don't think you'll be disappointed in the 7th. It's a bit sedate and well-heeled feeling for me, but that may be very appealing to you. Just a matter of taste, really, and there are good restaurants in the 7th.

Other to-die-for views would be more general rooftop/cityscapes. A view across the Seine would be wonderful. Hmm, Notre Dame's not too shabby either. I could go on and on...

If it makes you feel any better, I've been to Paris a number of times and still agonize over the hotel! But it's an incredible city with much to do and see all over the place. If you have a hotel that you find comfortable and charming, I think you'll be quite happy.

tuscanlifeedit Feb 1st, 2007 12:44 PM

The Metro closes somewhat early, but never so early that I missed the last train. However, I notice that you mention being "out late." Out late for me is pretty much after dark :-d but I understand that is largely not the case for the rest of humanity. So, what do you consider late? After midnight? Then you'll need to walk or use taxis.

We like the 7th, but prefer being east of Invalides, or closer to the 6th. The Eiffel Tower is pretty far west, and I avoid staying that far west, simply because our time is always limited, and I don't want to spend the extra time getting to the rest of Paris.

The seventh is somewhat residential, but it's not like you want find plenty of restaurants or food shops there. It isn't a suburb or anything like that. It is considered one of the central arrondisements.

Have you looked at a map? Again, the ET isn't really central to the rest of the major sights in Paris. How far west is your hotel?

eric502 Feb 1st, 2007 01:00 PM

Don't worry, the 7th is fine.

Michel_Paris Feb 1st, 2007 01:16 PM

Hi NY

6 of one...etc..

The 7th will be somewhat more sedate, with some good restaurants, rue Cler, Seine nearby, Invalides. It would be a long walk to get to Notre Dame, Louvre, St Germain,etc..Looking at a Metro map, depending on where you are, 5 stops to the Arch de Triomphe, 10 stops to St Michel.,etc. So it's not that you are out in 'cow country' but rather that you may have to use the Metro more often and for longer to get around. My last time in Paris I stayed in the 16th, further west than you. I liked being in a non-touristy neighborhood, I had my local cafe, cineman, found a very nice restaurant in the area...but..I've been to Paris 7/8 times before, wanted a bit cheaper accomodations, and wanted to try something more 'sedate'. Have to say, the Metro rides were a long near the end.

So..for a first timer, I would consider the 4th, 5th or 6th. Not that there is anything wrong with the 7th, but assuming you will be going to the main tourist sites, they are closer to these areas. I've stayed in the 4th/5th anfd 6th. I stayed at one place in the 6th where I looked out of my window and there was an unobstructed view of Notre Dame and the Seine...so it was a 5 minute walk to it, 5 min walk to St Chapelle, 10-15 min walk to Ile St Louis, cross the street to get to the RER to the airport, 5 mins from Seine boat cruise...another hotel was right on Ile St Louis so I was in a nice neighbourhood,good restaurants, bit quieter at night, but one bridge away from Left Bank, one from Right Bank, etc.. If I have the preference, I would like to be able to walk most places, then have choice to metro back to hotel before dinner or walk...and at the end of the night never really be too far from my hotel.

Hope this helps,

Mike

Robespierre Feb 1st, 2007 01:45 PM

"I don't want to spend the extra time getting to the rest of Paris."

How are you traveling, by yak cart? Invalides is a 6-minute RER ride from Notre Dame. Champ de Mars is 10.

tuscanlifeedit Feb 1st, 2007 01:54 PM

I'm sorry, I thought I was clear in saying that I prefer being east of Invalides. However, staying near the tower is still too far for me.

It was unclear to me just how far west, or close to the Eiffel Tower, NY2005 was planning on staying. I recently ruled out several apartment rentals that were around the Champ de Mars because I think it too far for my own preferences.

I do move slowly, and would appreciate a yak cart if you can find me one.

Robespierre Feb 1st, 2007 02:07 PM

Forgive my density, but what does your pace have to do with the speed of the train? Or is the extra six minutes the issue? I honestly don't get it.

ira Feb 1st, 2007 02:35 PM

Hi NY,

If you have a view of the tower, I suggest keeping your hotel.

If not, you might want to stay in the 6th.

>Is getting around so easy that we could be out late anywhere and get back to our hotel...<

How late?

((I))

nbujic Feb 1st, 2007 02:36 PM

the 7th IS more residential, 6th is the place to be at night.
What is so great about being near the Eiffel?
You can see it from most spots in Paris.

Leburta Feb 1st, 2007 04:35 PM

If you've got a room with a view of the Eiffel Tower, I say keep that reservation. I've stayed at two hotels with that view, and despite having been to Paris many times, this view was still enchanting at night.

In my opinion, it is more important to be close to transportation or within walking distance to a lot of sights. So if you don't have a view of the Eiffel Tower, you might want to be more central. We enjoy staying in the 6th in the Saint Germaine de Pres area because there is lots of activity from morning to night. There are lots of restaurants from casual to elegant. And best of all, you can walk to a lot of things quickly.

shellio Feb 1st, 2007 06:47 PM

It's hard to give you an answer without knowing where in the 7th you are staying. A number of responses have urged you to stay in the 6th instead, but people tend to forget that the eastern edge of the 7th arr. runs along rue des Saints-Pères and includes the western part of St-Germain-des-Prés, the Musée d'Orsay and the area around the Bon Marché. Walk 2 blocks east from that border and you are having coffee at Deux Magots.

DAX Feb 2nd, 2007 05:26 AM

IMHO, the Paris experience is very much affected by where you stay. I'vs stayed at the left bank or around the Place de Republique just to be different, but my favorite places to stay seems to be along Rue de La Paix or Champs Elysees. You can't beat the experience of being in the heart of Paris. You can get a nice view of the Eifel tower from the hotels facing Place de La Concorde. The Westin in particular is a bargain being so close to the Tulleries and have rooms facing the Eifel tower, granted it's not "on your face" view as it would be from the Hilton.

Suzanne2 Feb 2nd, 2007 07:17 AM

We've stayed in the 7th a few times. We liked it because it is quiet at night. I like the 1st and 2nd for the central location but I am a light sleeper and the street noise woke me in both locations. On our last visit we stayed in the 5TH in an apartment. I must say it was my favorite location so far. We were at the boTtom of a pedestiran market street We had the best time ever.

T

tod Feb 2nd, 2007 07:47 AM

NY2005 - I understand your concerns.
I've stayed in the 7th twice. The first time in Blvd. de la Tour Maurbourg
and then on the corner of Avenue Duquesne & Lowendal. The first time no Eiffel Tower view, second time a beautiful view BUT inspite of that I found the area just too quiet.
Maybe some people like it that way, I prefer to be within walking distance (2min) from a busy street like Blvd.St.Germain. I also love being near the Seine and Ile de La Cite & Ile St.Louis especially at night. That doesn't mean you have to stay right there. Getting around Paris is so easy you could stay anywhere and take the metro to busier areas.
I am seriously considering staying at a hotel in the 16th right behind Place du Trocadero (cnr.Raymond Poincare) for my next visit. It's not as busy as 5th &6th but the rooms do offer spectacular views of Lady Eiffel - and how I love that gal!

Art_Vandelay Feb 2nd, 2007 09:08 AM

People, FYI, there are other arrondissements in central Paris than 5 to 7 or, if you are really, really bold, the 4th. This discussion is a bit surreal, since no Parisian in his/her right mind would consider the 6th as "place to be at night" (unless you are over 55 or come from the provinces / suburbs). The hip night life is currently taking place in the Eastern parts of town, and definitely not in Disneyland like Left Bank.

tod Feb 3rd, 2007 02:04 AM

Yeah, Art - well over 55! I get excited just by watching the floodlights from the Bateaux-Mouches swathing the buildings and trees in an eerie glow as they sweep past. The people in the boats love it when you wave back from the bridges overhead!
Art, please enlighten me - what is considered 'hip nightlife' in Paris?
And be more specific - what eastern part?

ira Feb 3rd, 2007 03:05 AM

Hey Art,

>The hip night life is currently taking place in the Eastern parts of town, ..

Any particular places?

((I))

Travelnut Feb 3rd, 2007 06:32 AM

"In Paris - Eleventh Heaven"
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...110400570.html

"Oberkampf Scene"
http://tinyurl.com/2h9nch