Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

OH MY, What do ya'll think of this great looking info on airfare to Italy and other countries

OH MY, What do ya'll think of this great looking info on airfare to Italy and other countries

Old May 28th, 2004, 03:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good morning everyone.

I was playing around on the web and found the following:

I found this site: (LetsGo Travel)
http://www.letsgo.com/ITA/02-Essentials-258

Which had this VERY informative link: (Airline Ticket Consolidators & Bucket Shop FAQ)

http://www.travel-library.com/air-tr...olidators.html

Which led me to this site: (OneTravel.com)

http://www.airtreks.com/airtreksanda...roundTrip.html

I tried to use the link that the author works for and it seems my trip is not complicated enough for their company. However, I was directed to the third link here and I really like the site! It was easy as pie to use AND the fare shown shows ALL fees PLUS a GREAT quote for travel insurance as an option. Based on the two days of research I just did on travel insurance, unless I am totally overlooking something, this is an unbelievable (sp?) value!!

Please, tell me your opinions ao all this.
Old May 28th, 2004, 03:39 AM
Original Poster

PLUS...

When I did my search I was able to input a radius for other airports (I know there are other sites that do this but they are always more expensive for me), and this is the first time I have seen that I can fly out of the city right where I live instead of further away for LESS than it usually costs to do so.
Old May 28th, 2004, 03:44 AM

Well, I just tried it for a trip to France this summer and it was $300 more than my consolidator is offering.
Old May 28th, 2004, 03:48 AM
Original Poster

StCirq,

I am sorry it didn't work for you. It sure gave me the best prices yet for my trip. However, when I searched other sites that I was told I should check out my trip always came up more.

I am not a seasoned traveler though and I'm sure I don't know all the best sites. Is your consolidator online? Perhaps I could get a quote too?

The article I gave link to does say that a person will probably not get the best fare on-line and does need to speak directly with consolidators/bucket shops.
Old May 28th, 2004, 04:23 AM
Original Poster

Really everyone.

Does anyone have the web site or phone number to a consolidator or bucket shop that I could speak with? (I know it is a bit early to book a ticket, well maybe not according to the advice from the link I posted).

I am awaiting reply from Artisan in San Francisco which was suggested. But I would like to have something to compare it to once I receive the details today.

I really appreciate ya'll helping me out.
Old May 28th, 2004, 04:59 AM
ira

Hi PLMN,

I have used onetravel.com.

I usually link to it through
http://airtravelcenter.com/onetrav.htm

However, you shouldn't rely on only one site. On any given day this broker can be higher or lower than any other.

Other sites that might help you are:

https://www.1800flyeurope.com/

http://www.bookingbuddy.com/?source=...=BBSearch_Home

Old May 28th, 2004, 05:03 AM
Original Poster

Thank you ira.

I will check them out.

About how many companies does the "normal" person check with? I know I am SORT of early in booking but I want to be prepared....and you never know what you might find out there.
Old May 28th, 2004, 05:06 AM

Hi, PLMN:

The consolidator I use is Fare Deals at 1-800-347-7006. I like to deal with Lewis Katz there at extension 109.

I usually spend a fair amount of time online searching fares and then give up and call the consolidator. Nine times out of ten, he gets me a better price.

Good luck!
Old May 28th, 2004, 05:10 AM
Original Poster

Thank yo so much Stcirq.

I was starting to think I was getting to be OCD about this

Should I tell companies I am checking with other companies? I don't like to make extra work for others. Just for myself
Old May 28th, 2004, 05:17 AM

PLMN:

I usually start off by telling Lewis the best fare I've found. Maybe that gives him some extra incentive to do better. I don't know, but it seems to work!
Old May 28th, 2004, 07:04 AM
rex

I would find it valuable for you to quote some actual numbers you have found - - would make it easier for others to compare whether this[these] source[s] you have found are indeed better than the usual sources that some of "us" use.

I have posted the names of these two consolidators here before:

The Joy of Travel - - 1-888-AIR-TIXX and they have a website, I think (but not interactive - - essentially just gives you their phone number). All of my dealings there have been with the owner, Gur (yes, that is her name, not a mis-spelling)

and

www.affordablepoland.com - - not just for Poland, but does not offer tickets from all US cities. I have/had a favorable opinion about this company based on trying to locate fares for a group in 2000, speaking directly to the owner (whose name I have forgotten); ultimately, my purchase was for a city they could not offer service from.

You may have seen this, but last night, I posted info on oanother thread about fares I found, pertinent to your trip on the flyeurope,com website (also posted above, and cited by someone else on another thread).

Best wishes,

Rex
Old May 29th, 2004, 05:07 AM
DAJ

Forgive me if this question sounds ignorant, but can "refundable" tickets be purchased through a consolidator?

Thanks to the experienced.

DAJ
Old May 29th, 2004, 05:18 AM
ira

Hi Daj,

>...can "refundable" tickets be purchased through a consolidator?<

Probably, but they won't be discounted.

Often you can change your tickets for a fairly stiff fee.
Old May 29th, 2004, 11:21 AM

Good work, Phoebe--you are learning.
Old May 30th, 2004, 03:26 AM
Original Poster

Good Morning ya'll.

I like this website. No one has been rude or nasty.

Here is a response from a consolidator ?that was suggested or I found, I can't remember.

New York-Rome-/Florence-New York Air France via Paris $ 892.00
San Francisco-Rome-/Florence-San Francisco Delta Airlines $ 985.00
Orlando-Rome-/Florence-Orlando Delta Airlines $ 945.00

These are from Artisan Travel. I filled out a request form and they researched it and got back to me.

This is for weekend travel Oct 3 and Oct 16.

I also asked for car rental info and they came back with a quote that was just at or under what I had been finding.
Car rental, with pick up in city of Rome, drop off Florence airport, midsize car, Nissan Primera or similar, 4door, automatic shift, A/C, with insurance, unlimited kilometers would run approx $953.86....they have a special if paid for at time of reservation they give a 12% discount total would be approx $839.40.

I wish we could go ahead and make our reservations but with my sister possibly being ill I guess we have to wait a little.
Old May 30th, 2004, 06:54 AM
ira

Hi PLMN,

You might want to check prices at http://www.novarentacar.com/

I think that you can do better.