Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   "Oh I just can't WAIT to be Queen" (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/oh-i-just-cant-wait-to-be-queen-514739/)

KidsToLondon Mar 22nd, 2005 04:46 AM

"Oh I just can't WAIT to be Queen"

I know some of the regulars on the UK forum want to weigh in on the latest from the Windsors

(what? you thought I was posting about the "Lion King"?)

Intrepid1 Mar 22nd, 2005 04:50 AM

Yes, time for another food fight. And there seem to be no royalists who can equal the "royals" on this board...

I hear HRH The Queen has said she will not attend the ceremony..is this true?

Scarlett Mar 22nd, 2005 04:55 AM

Hi David!
So- if the original plan was a "civil" ceremony because she would not be Queen, now can they have a big wedding in a cathedral?
I too, wonder if Queen E will be there now?
Did they know this all along and were they just trying to avoid more public furor over this?
Queen Camilla? Then are her children Princes and Princess?
It is so complicated...whatever happened to the good ole days of "Off with her head"? :D

Intrepid1 Mar 22nd, 2005 05:16 AM

Somehow I suspect THE Queen is wondering that very thing. According to the papers today the Queen has supposedly said something about not attending the wedding even if it is held in the "town hall" and not the castle.

I've always felt the Windsors, like Madonna, are the masters/mistresses of re-inventing themselves and here we are again. Poor David and Wallis..undoubtedly turning over in their graves.

jody Mar 22nd, 2005 05:20 AM

She's 57 ! I don't imagine there witll be any princes or princeses to worry about

wren Mar 22nd, 2005 05:30 AM

Scarlett..you are too funny! Off with her head was solve a multitude of problems, eh?

Intrepid1 Mar 22nd, 2005 05:45 AM

"she's 57..." well, probably no legitimate princes or princesses anyway which recalls another "tried and true" mode of "solving" problems formerly employed by some of these folks.

ira Mar 22nd, 2005 05:46 AM

> ..HRH The Queen.. <

Shouldn't that be HM?

Glitterball Mar 22nd, 2005 06:56 AM

Will be interesting to have a horse as Queen - don't know what all the fuss is about.

She will cost us taxpayers less money - I mean all she needs is a stable and some hay, rather than keeping Clarence House.

:-)

fanah Mar 22nd, 2005 06:59 AM

Bad, bad Glitterball...
(Neeeeeigh.....)

Glitterball Mar 22nd, 2005 07:14 AM

I know - hope old Queenie isn't reading this or it'll be off to the tower for me....

smueller Mar 22nd, 2005 07:20 AM

I propose that Camilla be allowed to be queen on the condition that her children with Mr. Bowles be executed first so that they cannot claim any rights to the throne.

On second thought, maybe they should be allowed to succeed Charles instead of his own children. Could they be any worse than the current lot of princes and princesses?

Calamari Mar 22nd, 2005 07:22 AM

Jody - I think the other poster was refering to the children she already has.

Glitterball Mar 22nd, 2005 07:23 AM

Now that's just harsh.

:-)

Patrick Mar 22nd, 2005 07:26 AM

I understand the conservative element of the UK has decreed Camilla can't be Queen. Seems they feel there are too many queens in the UK already.

Glitterball Mar 22nd, 2005 07:29 AM

LOL - maybe that's what we need. No sons and heirs but we would all dress fabulously. :-)

USNR Mar 22nd, 2005 07:49 AM

I can hardly wait until our Australian commentator chimes in. Neil? Where are you when we need you most?

semiramis Mar 22nd, 2005 09:37 AM

Personally I could care less whether Camilla becomes Queen or not but in the interests of clarity:
Her children from her first marriage are not in any way in line for the throne. Only the children of the royal marital partner are in line for the throne - i.e. Prince Charles' kids, his siblings kids, his cousins 9on his mother's side)' kids etc. It would be like if Prince Philip (Duke of Edinburgh) had been married before he married Elizabeth II. (He WASN'T by the way) ONLY the children he had with Elizabeth (Prince Charles, Prince Andrew, Prince Edward and Princess Anne) would be in line for the throne. BTW Camilla will not be the same "type" of Queen as Elizabeth II. Camilla will only be the Queen Consort (like Prince Philip is the Prince Consort) - it's just a courtesy title you get for being married to the reigning monarch. Elizabeth II inherited the throne from her father King George - she was a REIGNING monarch and Queen.

Scarlett Mar 22nd, 2005 10:01 AM

I did realize that Camilla was a bit long in the tooth (LOL) to have more children with Charles. I was wondering about the children she already has, do they get an Honorary Title..like Rex or Rover or ...sorry, I could not help it...
The whole thing sounds like the beginning of the end of the Monarchy that it seems most British dislike..
What will happen next?
Will Buckingham Palace be broken into Condos? Will those Princelings all have to go to work? Ahem, aside from dressing innappropriately at parties, what can they do for a living?
It was all much easier when it was Off with her head, wasn't it?

I ((L)) England no matter who rules :D

Madison Mar 22nd, 2005 10:29 AM

Since Prince Phillips is married to Queen Elizabeth how come he isn't King Consort?

It's all so confusing. I wouldn't be surprised if Prince Charles turned over the crown to Prince William when the time comes. Doesn't look like the queen is going anywhere any time soon.