Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Offsetting pricey airfare to Spain.. (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/offsetting-pricey-airfare-to-spain-971631/)

BumbleB6 Mar 23rd, 2013 08:48 AM

Offsetting pricey airfare to Spain..

I've been planning a trip to southern Spain - for 2 weeks in mid-June - since last September. I already have apt. rentals booked and an itinerary set.

I've been waitiing to buy airfare, hoping the fares would come down, but they haven't. Ugh. On the bright side, I have some c.c. points I can use to offset the cost of one ticket (we're a party of 3.)
Any tips on saving money on flights into southern Spain from Chicago?
Our itinerary is: 1 week in Seville, 2 nights in Ronda, then 5 nights in Granada (yes I know that's a long time in Granada, but we're slow movers and not used to heat - we need that extra time. It also allows us to fly home on a Tuesday.; (see below)
We've already booked our lodging to start on Tuesday and end on Tuesday, at the end of 2 weeks, as I know already that's the cheapest days to fly... or is it?

I'm finding it's the same price, more or less, to fly straight to Seville and out of Granada, as it is fly r/t to Madrid, from Chicago.
However, I'm willing to fly to Malaga, if train fare is priced reasonably from there to Seville and from Granada to Malaga... and it turns out to be cheaper than flying directly into Seville...

And - Aside from renting apts and having our own kitchen, which we're already planning, what are some ways we can save money on the trip to offset the high cost of getting there?
I was going to book a bus tour to Cordoba from Seville, but I think we can probably take the train there on our own.. (I do have a tour booked for the Alhambra but I'm not willing to cancel that, as I hear it's a PITA to get tickets to Alhambra, and it's probably past due to get them now on our own, so that stays.. )
We're also not renting a car, but training/busing it between destinations.

Thank you!

BumbleB6 Mar 23rd, 2013 08:55 AM

Oh and one more thing - about that 5 nights in Granada? If it is cheaper to fly out of Malaga, I was considering changing our booking in Granada to just 3 nights and going to Nerja for 2 nights, then traveling from Nerja to Malaga on our flight day, to go home. My question is - should I do this anyway? How is Nerja? It would be nice to hit the beach our last two days of the trip.. and - do I still have time to book something there?

Thanks again!

kybourbon Mar 23rd, 2013 10:56 AM

I think Delta runs seasonal flights to Malaga. I'm not sure when they start.

Egbert Mar 23rd, 2013 11:14 AM

I don't know about airline tickets but you can save money by eating the menu del dia at lunch and tapas at night (or tapas day and night like me). In Granada many places still offer a free tapa for every round like at Los Diamantes.

Robert2533 Mar 23rd, 2013 11:26 AM

I take it this will be your first adventure in Spain.

First of all, airfare will not be going down, only getting progressively more expensive as all of the cheap seats are booked. If you are a frequent flyer with one airline, then you should check with them regarding the route. If not, then you might want to talk to a travel agent who does consolidator fares. They may be able to save you some money.

5 nights in Granada is a long time for most people. 2 or 3 days should suffice unless there is something special you want to do or see outside of visiting the Alhambra.

Note that there is no direct train service between Malaga and Granada. The ALSA bus takes between 1-1/2 and 2/1/2 hours, depending on which bus you select, city or airport departure point.

jft Mar 30th, 2013 12:36 PM

Check out if vueling airlines connects with somewhere it is cheaper to fly. Or a charter out if Toronto on air transat if the days work.