Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Off topic----what movie could you watch over and over on the plane?

Old Apr 7th, 2006, 07:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, so even though the movie choices are usually pretty good on the flights to europe, sometimes familiarity is more comforting than watching three brand new films.

What movie(s) would you choose to watch on a long planeride?

For me, I think I would pick movies that I can watch over and over again...Silence of the Lambs, Carlito's Way....Heat...
Old Apr 7th, 2006, 07:12 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Jules and Jim
Gigi
Beauty and the beast
and the little known Catherine Deneurve(sp?) fairy tale, The Donkey's Skin.
Old Apr 7th, 2006, 07:17 PM

Good list cigale!
I second Beauty and the Beast (Cocteau, right? )
and add French Kiss..might as well laugh for a couple of hours on the plane.
I loved Diane Keaton in Baby Boom, maybe that again..The Maltese Falcon for the Yankee..Maybe the Godfather Part 1 & 2..
Old Apr 7th, 2006, 07:26 PM

I'll play since I'm waiting for my laundry to dry so I can pack to go to Chicago!

Singing in the Rain
To Kill A Mocking Bird
Europa Europa
Au Revoir Les Enfants
Gregory's Girl
Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
The Commitments

If you're looking for something new, Good Night, and Good Luck is terrific and the new Pride & Prejudice was good too.
Old Apr 7th, 2006, 07:31 PM

Hate watching movies over and over..how boring. I would rather read a good book, one I have never read before.

400 Blows and Breathless, I never tire of.
Obvious you can tell I'm a New Wave fan, so all on Truffaut, Rhomer, Goddard, Chabrol and the rest of that magnificent film period.

The Rocky Horror Picture show! It's astounding!
Old Apr 7th, 2006, 07:35 PM
Original Poster

LoveItaly---good movies are a lot like good books, for some people they have a bonding with the movie or book or gain a sort of a sense of relaxation when reading or watching the characters actions....it can be somewhat comforting and reassuring. So, though we may know the ending of a story or a movie, it is the comfort in knowing the ride that makes it enjoyable.

Learning and having new adventures is always desireable as well. Sometimes we just like a bit of the familiar is all....
Old Apr 7th, 2006, 08:01 PM

Hi ilovetotravel, I don't need the comfort of watching movies over and over again. Actually I don't enjoy watching movies during a flight.

And I don't enjoy reading the same book several times, although there are a few books I have read again, years after I first read them.

I like the fun of not knowing "what is going to happen next", the adventure of not knowing the end of the story. But that is me. Adventure and the unknown is what makes life interesting to me. Which is why I love to travel, it is never the same even when I go back to a familiar place. But we are all so different and thank goodness for that.
Old Apr 7th, 2006, 08:19 PM

Oh boy, Love, if I ever need to torture you to get information from you, I will force you to watch old movies, over and over and ..... LOL
Old Apr 7th, 2006, 08:25 PM

There are some films that hook me each time they're on television. I stop and look for a minute, and the next thing I know it's THE END.

"The Hunt for Red October"
"Moonstruck"
"Peter's Friends"
"Henry V" with Kenneth Brannagh
"Gigi"
"The Dinner Game"
"Chocolat"

So I'd settle for any of those, at least until I remember what the others are.
Old Apr 7th, 2006, 08:25 PM

SO WILL I !!!
"Seven beauties" over and over again, one of the best Italian films!!!!
Old Apr 7th, 2006, 08:37 PM

I could watch The Godfather and The Godfather 2.
Old Apr 7th, 2006, 09:11 PM

I'm with LoveItaly on this one. I'd much rather read than watch a movie. I do a pretty good job of falling asleep to movies, but a book in hand, and somehow it makes it harder for me to sleep.

Anyway, while on a plane, I'd rather sleep or read something about my upcoming destination so I can pick out places to visit. More often than not, I'm exhausted from not sleeping the night before, so falling into slumber is easy for me.
Old Apr 7th, 2006, 09:13 PM

Hey dear Scarlett, you know my Achilles heel, LOL!!! That is going to cost you a glass of wine when I am in Portland.

A funny side note, the last time I was in the Amsterdam airport I purchased "
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn" a book I first read when I was about 14 and have probably read four times since then. But for some reason wanted to read it again..so did.

Candice dear, why you are torturing me with repeat movies would you mind serving me a glass of wine every hour on the hour? It would be most appreciated. Mille grazie!!
Old Apr 7th, 2006, 09:17 PM

OMG! The Third Man, starring Orson Welles, Joseph Cotton, and Trevor Howard.

Here's a link if you want to hear that unforgetable theme:

http://auschwitz.dk/Orson.htm

"British cinema's most successful attempt at a Hollywood-style noir masterpiece. A lucky mix of exactly the right people at the right time, with Orson Welles still riding high on his film success and notoriety in the States, and seasoned professional like Trevor Howard, Carol Reed & Graham Greene discreetly turning in flawless performances in their respective fields."

I love noire! You've made up my mind for me. That film is going with me on DVD for our trip to Europe in May, when we'll visit the site of the film, Vienna.

Maybe I won't watch it over and over, but I think I could. It's such a beautiful and enigmatic movie.
Old Apr 7th, 2006, 09:19 PM

hubby and I always bring our portable DVD player on long flights (I know, I know...we all just have to pass the time however we can!)
my favs are....
How to lose a guy in 10 days
Fever Pitch (we love baseball-GO GIANTS!)
American President
First Daughter
Pride and Prejudice
Love Stinks (FUNNY FLICK!)
Okay, so totally mind candy, but we are trying to entertain ourselves, and flights are reserved BTW, as a not-so-unspoken-rule for MY chick-flicks!
Old Apr 8th, 2006, 12:42 AM

I can't watch a "deep" movie on a plane--I'm too distracted by even slight turbulence. So I prefer to watch something amusing and diverting:
Toy Story (and Toy Story 2)
Annie Hall
Defending Your Life

or two films for their French mood--Diva and Frantic.

The one DVD that I did watch over and over a few years ago on an AA flight from Frankfurt to Chicago was the Brian Setzer Orchestra Live in Tokyo. It was GREAT. The music was terrific, it was entertaining to watch, and I liked it so much I bought the DVD when I got back.
Old Apr 8th, 2006, 01:41 AM

I'll take any of those old Bette Davis, Joan Crawford or Susan Hayward flicks where they chew up the scenery/go blind/die/give up the man they love with barely a quiver of their upper lip.

Or maybe a classic Hitchcock.
Old Apr 8th, 2006, 02:14 AM

movies from the 90's:
reality bites
before sunrise

before sunset

comedy:
Office Space
Zoolander

(could add more to the list, but this is what I can think of right now)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -