Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Off to Italy - what do you wish you had brought back home - but didn't?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18th, 1998, 05:29 AM
Shelly

We're going to Italy from the US and are interested in things(food products, souveniers, etc.) that you wish you'd had brought back - but didn't. Maybe you had brought them, but would really love more! We're always looking for terrific gifts for friends and collectibles and would like to know about some of the best from those of you who have been to Italy - specifically, Rome, Venice, and Florence. Thanks!

Old Jun 18th, 1998, 12:25 PM
Lori

My husband and I were in Rome and Florence in March. We are still kicking ourselves for not bringing home more wine. We brought back the allowable 2 bottles, but wish we had brought at least a case and paid the duty. The wine we drink is a white, Santa Margherita Pinot Grigio, goes for about 14.00 a bottle here in NY in stores, double that or more in restaurants. It was $9 in restaurants, and $6 in a liquor store we found in Rome. We expected to be able to buy it at the airport, however, beware, there are no comprehensive liquor stores there. Oh well, my advice is if you see it and you like it, buy it!!!!!

Old Jun 18th, 1998, 01:29 PM
dimi

For Venice - Lace and Venetian glass (go to the Murano factory) <BR>For Florence - Leather leather leather! ry their market it's a fabulous find! <BR>Rome - I agree on the wine theory and foods. There's also a liquor called Sireanuese. It's lemony and delicious and hard to find here. Shoes are also great for both men and women. <BR> <BR>Hope this helps and have a great trip!

Old Jun 18th, 1998, 02:13 PM
Jen Z

Definitely a good, authentic Italian cookbook, perhaps one from each region I visited. And on the simple side, I wish I'd kept up with my journal keeping the last time I was there. My journal from my first trip to Europe was the best souvenir I brought home, and I regret not taking more time with the one I took on my last trip.

Old Jun 18th, 1998, 02:30 PM
Marty

These are great ideas. I am leaving Saturday for Venice, Florence, and Rome, so I wanted this at the top to attract attention!! Are Venetian masks worth looking for? How expensive?

Old Jun 18th, 1998, 05:45 PM
anne

We brought back alot on our last trip - and would have loved to have brought back more from : <BR>Venice - Orecchini Veneziani - in San Polo just over the Rialto bridge by the open air market - lovely earrings that I brought back for family and friends and would've loved more!! <BR>Florence - leather goods, cameo jewelry, any foodstuffs from the wonderful Mercato Centrale (and it's great fun to eat lunch there standing up with the workmen from the town). 2 "don't miss" places are Passamaneria Toscana on Piazza San Lorenzo, 12r - a treasure trove of gorgeous interior design accessories, and the Farmacia Santa Maria Novella, Via della Scala, 16. This lovely place is an experience in itself, and their body care products are unmatched. I especially like the Idrasol moisturizing lotion. <BR>Have fun!

Old Jun 18th, 1998, 07:02 PM
Dayle

When we were in Italy, our time was very short, so we really didn't spend any time shopping. In Praiano, on the Amalfi Coast, I fell in love with Italian ceramics with a lemon design! The shop was closed and we had no time to return later. I have looked for similar ceramic dishes here and have been horrified at the price! Does anyone know what the hand painted ceramics cost in Italy? I still wonder if I missed my only chance. <BR>

Old Jun 19th, 1998, 08:25 AM
Cheryl Z.

<BR>Have to agree with Lori - if you see it and want it, buy it! We also couldn't believe the inexpensive wine in little trattorias we'd find compared to what we pay here. And I too wish I'd bought more pottery in Florence - but I didn't want to carry it, we still had Rome to go to and I thought I'd find more of what I liked later in trip, but didn't. Oh well, just have to back again!

Old Jun 19th, 1998, 11:09 AM
Laura

I wish we had brought back more tassels and unusual fabrics and tapestries from Florence. I immediately used what I bought last year and wish I had some in reserve! <BR>I also cherish the mask I bought in Venice years ago. The prices in the summer are very high but what can you do?

Old Jun 19th, 1998, 11:27 AM
Monica

Returned from two weeks in Italy in May and enjoyed my shopping. I wish I had bought more glassware from Venice, especially the round pendants (the ones I bought were the size of a quarter). They were L20,000 each (approx. $12.00). Should have bought more gold too! Bought the Italian pepper pendant and would have like to buy the Venice symbol, the Lion with book. Around the Amalfi coast, especially Vietri sul Mare, I wish I had picked up more ceramics! as Dayle says, the lemon designs were beautiful and I picked up only two pieces (blue background with bright lemons). Lemoncello is the specialty drink along the Amalfi coast and Naples. Pick up a bottle of that! It's a lemon liquor drink. Saw a bottle here in the U.S. (I was surprised) and it was very expensive. Ditto to the other two above that said, "IF YOU LIKE IT, BUY IT!!!" Take 2 empty duffle bags to fill along with bubble wrap.

Old Jun 20th, 1998, 05:50 PM
Shelly

Thanks to all for your great ideas! Any suggestions for buying gold?

Old Jun 21st, 1998, 07:03 AM
Monica

Shelly, shop around here at home to get an idea of prices. Remember that in Italy and other places in Europe they sell 18k gold. In Venice we bought a diamond anniversary band, 18k, for a very good price. Also remember that if you spend over a certain dollar amount (over L300,000 in Italy) in one location, you can get your VAT tax back. For Italy, that was 20%! So shop around for a store that has lots of variety if you plan to buy several pieces.

Old Jun 21st, 1998, 04:20 PM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

I just love these shopping conversations. I have <BR>traveled Europe a dozen times, mostly in Italy, <BR>and most of the time you can get better value at <BR>Pottery Barn on sale. If you want to shop, go to <BR>the outlets in North Jersey. If you want to enjoy <BR>Europe do not waste your time in shops--there is <BR>some culture, history, and fabulous scenery to <BR>be seen. The only good value is wine, and who wants <BR>to get tennis elbow from lugging back a load just <BR>to save $17.

Old Jun 21st, 1998, 04:57 PM
Al

I don't always agree with Bob the Navigator, however, this time I second his comments with enthusiasm!!!

Old Jun 21st, 1998, 06:34 PM
Joanna White

Like Dayle above, I fell in love with the gorgeous ceramics. The shops around the Amalfi coast area and on Ischia were full of fabulous designs - ones we don't see here in Australia (and if we do at vastly inflated prices). My friend and I wished we had bought some of the huge ceramic planters and the mosaic table tops - we could have had them shipped home, but didn't. Also in Assisi I resisted a gorgeous bird motif plate. Next time I won't resist! <BR>

Old Jun 22nd, 1998, 06:52 AM
Monica

The POINT of bringing back things from a trip is to enjoy them and use them for the great memories of ones trip. Just for a savings of $17? Hell yes!

Old Jun 22nd, 1998, 10:47 AM
Cheryl Z.

<BR>Bob and Al - my husband would agree with you but HE's the one who loved sharing the wine (and memories) we brought home a couple years ago from a Swiss friend's vineyard, with some local friends for New Years Eve. I also enjoy going into little out of the way stores in the less touristy areas or local neighborhoods to find fun things. I've found unusual things this way that I would never have elsewhere.

Old Jun 22nd, 1998, 03:54 PM
Eileen

We just got back a few weeks ago from Rome, and I could kick myself for not buying more than one leather purse and one pair of shoes. The quality over there is superior to that found here in the U.S., & I have gotten more compliments from people (not knowing where I got these items!) on them. I also regret not buying the biggest bottle I have ever seen of Amaretto Di Saronno at Da Vinci airport. I believe it was around $12 to $15, unbelievable considering a much smaller bottle here costs around $50. We also brought back a case of Italian Frascati, a great & cheap white wine from the town of Frascati, right outside of Rome. The folks at customs back home never even glanced at it! Have fun..

Old Jun 22nd, 1998, 05:46 PM
Terry

Just want to thank you for your refreshing comment re. forget the shopping and enjoy the sights-my family and I are leaving for Austria, Slovenia and northern Italy in a week and all those shopping suggestions were making me nervous! I don't even like wine or lace or ceramics but I was starting to feel like I better stock up- You put things back in perspective!

Old Jun 22nd, 1998, 06:39 PM
Joanna

Terry, I can't understand why the suggestions on shopping make you nervous. Shopping is a personal thing - you don't have to shop if you don't want to.... <BR>Don't just do something because "its the done thing" - do it because you want to. <BR>

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -