Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   off the beaten path (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/off-the-beaten-path-496078/)

fsurenae Jan 17th, 2005 10:39 AM

off the beaten path

Hi..My husband and I are honeymooning in April and will be in Prague, Vienna, and Venice. Are there any interesting towns in between these cities where we can stay a night or so (maybe a castle?)? We are willing to rent a car if it is worth it to experience some of the countryside.

bobthenavigator Jan 17th, 2005 10:44 AM

There are dozens. Your problem will be fees for car drops in other countries.
If you have as much as 4 nites in Austria I would consider it.

fsurenae Jan 17th, 2005 10:47 AM

Thanks! Any idea where I can find some information?

bobthenavigator Jan 17th, 2005 10:55 AM

The car thing is complex--you can check autoeurope.com but that will not give you drop charges until you book. What do you want to do ?

ben_haines_london Jan 17th, 2005 11:00 AM

Between Prague and Vienna I choose for a one night stop Cesky Krumlov, but for a few days Ceske Budejovice, with drives of an hour or less to old towns, monasteries, castles, and even medieval carp lakes. Between Vienna and Venice probably Klagenfurt, but there are many nice places. You need no car for any of these, as there are good busses to Cesky Krumlov, and public transport around Ceske Budejovice and Klagenfurt is good, cheap and frequent.

[email protected]

Patrick Jan 17th, 2005 11:07 AM

Bob, I know what you meant, but I think what you said could be misinterpreted. Some might think you won't find out what the charges for drop off will be until after you book. Actually when you give AutoEurope exact dates and establish pick up and drop off locations, they will give you a firm quote including those fees. Then it is up to you if you want to go ahead and confirm or not.

sylviam Jan 18th, 2005 08:33 AM

Regarding car drop off charges; we are picking up a car in Vienna and dropping it off in Prague. We got a quote through AutoEurope which included a $100 drop off charge in Prague. This was part of the quote before we booked.

jasoncholt Jan 26th, 2005 09:38 AM

Best company I know for international one way drop offs FROM Prague is www.czechocar.cz. If anybody knows a better deal then I'd be happy to hear about that offer.

Jason
www.livingprague.com

mweiner Feb 12th, 2005 12:10 PM

Just got a decent deal with autoeurope.com to drive from Prague to Budapest to Salzburg. One way drop off charge in Salzburg was about $110. Not bad since we are driving through Hungary. This was for an automatic.

Use your AAA card for 5% discount!

ira Feb 12th, 2005 12:17 PM

Hi fs,

>My husband and I are honeymooning in April and will be in Prague, Vienna, and Venice. <

How long is the trip?

((I))

fsurenae Feb 13th, 2005 09:10 PM

The trip is 10 days total....not a long time, but we plan to get from Vienna to Venice by train or car, so if we travel by car, we'd like some idea of where to stop. There is also the option of a sleeper car in an overnight train. Hmmm.