short connection in Frankfurt

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15th, 2006, 03:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be flying the end of this month to Rome, with a layover and change in Frankfurt(Lufthansa.) Our layover time is only 40 minutes. I have been concerned about this short connection since the day we purchased it, but my husband has tried to reassure me that an airline wouldn't sell it if it wasn't doable. Same airline both legs. Also worried about checked luggage. What's your take on this?
Old Sep 15th, 2006, 05:48 PM

What airline? Leaving and arriving at same terminal? If not same terminal, very difficult to make the connection. What if your plane arrives late? Call your airline and see what they say. Just because they booked it, doesn't guarantee anything.
Old Sep 15th, 2006, 08:00 PM

hana
Your post implies that you're flying Lufthansa-sort of anyway. In any case, you're going to have a tough connection. This is a big airport and even the same airline, it's difficult from one finger to another.

Herman posted said that airlines don't promise guarantees. I agree with his thoughts.

I would re-change my flights to assure you'll have enough time.

Blackduff
Old Sep 15th, 2006, 08:16 PM
P_M

Find out if there will be a change of terminals. If nothing else, it might give you some peace of mind if you discover you will use the same terminal. Still not a guarantee, but it will increase your odds of success.

Now let's consider a worst-case scenario, such as missing your connection. I would call or visit Lufthansa's web page to find out when the next flight to Rome leaves. It's possible there will be another one in just a few hours. Yes, it would suck to have to sit in the airport, but at least you will know in advance how long it will be.

Now the second worst case scenario: You make it to Rome but your luggage doesn't. Having had misdirected luggage 7 times, I can tell you that they will put your bags on the next flight and deliver them straight to your hotel. So make sure you bring at least one change of clothing in your carry-on. Good luck.
Old Sep 15th, 2006, 09:56 PM

Lufthansa is notorious for short connection times. It is very questionable whether you will make that connection. Check out the Lufthansa timetable for the next flight to Rome and have it ready so that if you miss your connection you know when the next one goes. Frankfurt Airport is not an easy airport for quick connections. The best you can hope for is that the ??? to Frankfurt flight gets in a bit early.

BUt don't fret...there are several Frankfurt-Rome flights so you won't have to wait very long for the next one if you indeed miss the one you are booked on.

Checked luggage will follow you. As a safety precaution, put a change of clothes in your carry on.

Old Sep 16th, 2006, 04:14 AM

A Lufthansa/Lufthansa or United/Lufthansa connection will be in the same terminal, but it is a big terminal, so there could be some distance between gates. I'm not sure where you're flying from, but if it's the US, you'll have to go through immigration (passport control) and possibly security at FRA.

The United timetable shows a minimum connection time at FRA of 45 minutes, so I think I'd call Lufthansa and ask to verify that your connection is legal. If it is, then as others say, just be armed with information about later flights to Rome. There are transfer desks throughout the terminal in FRA if you run into problems. Good luck!
Old Sep 16th, 2006, 07:00 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the input. Not much we can do about it now, as we have a non-exchangeable ticket. But, as you say, we can arrive armed with some information. As long as I'm prepared for the worst case scenario, at least if it happens, I shouldn't get too ruffled. As least its a Lufthansa/Lufthansa connection. Thanks
Old Sep 16th, 2006, 07:26 PM

I would plan for your luggage not making the flight even if you do. Take a change of clothing in our carry on.

I think Frankfurt is the worst airport, after Heathrow, to connect.
Old Sep 17th, 2006, 01:56 PM

If your luggage doesn't make it with you, be sure they know where Rome is!

A few years ago our luggage didn't make it with us to Frankfurt. When I called from Bamberg to find out the status, the woman I spoke with said they had the suitcases, but we wouldn't get them until late the next day as it was a long way from Munich to Bamberg.

I asked why they were sending our suitcases way down to Munich. She replied that it was the nearest airport to Bamberg. I said, "Oh, I thought you flew to Nuernberg." She asked me if Bamberg was close to Nuernberg--uh, yes, less than an hour's drive north.

She checked around on her computer--She then replied that we'd have our luggage the next morning instead of the next evening.

I didn't have the heart to tell her that even Frankfurt, where our suitcases were, is also closer to Bamberg than Munich is.