October weather in Athens/Mykonos

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2nd, 2003, 06:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife,seven month old and I will be vacationing in Athens Oct. 13 - 19th and in Mykonos the following week. What can we typically expect for weather conditions? Any advice or thoughts on traveling with an infant?
Old Oct 2nd, 2003, 06:31 PM

By mid October life has slowed a lot on the islands and ferries are more rare. Personally, I wouldn't spend a whole week in Athens--even though I love it for the museums and city life, I wouldn't think it would be perfect for an infant. And Mykonos is the party island in the summer and kinda like a hangover by October. Have you considered Crete? Lots of variety, warmer because it is farther south. Can get there by plane. People in Greece, particularly in the villages, love children, so yours will make you instant friends.

Vera
Old Oct 2nd, 2003, 07:10 PM

The weather is fine 20/25 C during the day,...and it is colder after 18h.
Lots of people are on the beaches and one idea ,is to spend your lunchtime in Vouliagmeni,why not for a picnic on the beach.

Bring a light jaket/raincoat and appropriate clothes for the kid.

In any case there are a lot of shops to buy any special clothe you may need.

Its a family freindly culture/country and a kid is the best PR manager:

You will notice how everyone will take care of you with better service/priority and lot of special attention from greek 'mama's' and local kids.

And the most important detail when travelling with a kid:
in case of a medic emergency there are a few pediatric clinics like:

Iatrikon kentron in Maroussi
Eurocliniki for children in Patissia.

and the free and public, no-frills...., Aglaia Kyriakou where you find the most specialized and skilled pediatricians of the country.
Old Oct 3rd, 2003, 06:00 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the advice and information. We have already made all of our arrangements, so we will have to make the best of Athens.Any advice on our best bet for accomadations in Athens for around $100.00 US?

Old Oct 9th, 2003, 09:41 AM

I haven't searched for Athens hotels for awhile, but there should be no problem getting something in the Plaka or Syntagma Square area for $100 or less that time of year. There are a few good web sites with Athens hotels, and you could search past notes here for suggestions, too. I liked Acropolis View, a family run place walking distance to the Acropolis. Very plain and simple, as most Greek hotels are, but I wouldn't want to stay in an American style hotel in Greece. Might as well stay home!
Vera
Old Oct 10th, 2003, 09:52 AM

Be prepared for some windy conditions in Mykonos - we were there the third week in Sept. and we had a few days that were quite windy, which I understand is the norm for this time of year.

We stayed at the Divanis Acropolis in Athens and liked it very much. Walking distance to the Acropolis and Plaka, nice rooms and an excellent breakfast buffet. It may be slightly higher than $100 though.

Have a great trip!