October Vienna/Prague

Aug 27th, 2018, 09:22 AM
Original Poster

October Vienna/Prague

My husband and I are planning a (last minute) 2 week or so trip to Vienna/Prague in October. Wondering whether we need 5 days in Prague or should we spend less there and more in Vienna? We love music, museums, walking, history. We are also thinking of train one way between Vienna and Prague, plane the other. Is this a good idea? Any other suggestions would be appreciated!
Aug 27th, 2018, 10:22 AM

why not fly out of Prague - trains are all told about as fast as flying - heck www.thetrainlne.com for booking your own tickets - www.seat61.com has oodles of info on doing that yourselves online -general info trains BETS-European Rail Experts and www.ricksteves.com. I'd consider also taking in say Salzburg and some other parts of Austria.
Aug 27th, 2018, 11:35 AM

A nice routing may be Vienna-Prague then Cesky Krumlov - small Czech town that many people love - it's on the way to Salzburg and then back to Vienna or Munich is just an hour by train.
Aug 27th, 2018, 11:39 AM

I would not fly between Vienna and Prague, why do you want to do that? That's only a 4 hr train trip and there is only one airline that flies that route, so flights are not cheap. YOu can get that train for only about 50 euro, first class. Sure, the flights' only an hour and neither airport is that far out of town, but you'll spend more time flying and money.

It isn't clear to me how much time you have, it sounds like you mean you want to spend 5 days in Prague and 9 days in Vienna? And you want to know if you should spend even less time in Prague?

I wouldn't spend that much time in Vienna, I'd visit some other places.
Aug 27th, 2018, 12:37 PM

There are also buses Vienna-Prague which can be very cheap and about as fast as train - check both but trains IME are always more comfy than buses.
Aug 28th, 2018, 03:23 AM
Original Poster

oh, right, many thanks for reminding me about Cesky. great idea. do you think 4 or 5 days in prague is too much?
Aug 28th, 2018, 03:24 AM
Original Poster

prague/vienna

Many thanks, so helpful!
Best amount of time in each city?
Aug 28th, 2018, 04:59 AM

Perhaps identify all of the things you want to see and do in each city, then decide how to allocate your time? If you can spend an entire day in the KHM, for example, you'll need to plan accordingly. However you decide, taking a train between the two is definitely the wiser choice.
Aug 28th, 2018, 05:09 AM

Having been to Prague several times I think 3-4 days in the city is enough though always could spend more but nice to see other places too.

2 weeks I'd suggest:

Vienna - 4 nights
including one day trip to Melk (famous abbey) and boat ride down the gorgeous Danube thru Wachau Valley - neat wine towns like Durnstein to stop in then take bus to Krens and trains back to Vienna - outstanding day trip everyone seems to love.

Prague 4 nights

Cesky Krumlov - 1-2 nights

Salzburg - 3 nights - maybe a day trip by bus to the nearby Lake District - a k a Sound of Music Country as much of the film was filmed here

Vienna 1 night.
Aug 28th, 2018, 10:22 AM

The Wachau Valley boat ride - awesome:

https://www.google.com/search?q=wach...ih=651&dpr=1.5

Buy an all-inclusive ticket for trains and bus and entry to Melk Abbey and boat at Vienna station and just board any boat, bus or train.
Aug 28th, 2018, 11:21 AM

There are two excellent competing train services Vienna-Prague:

The railjets, operated by national operators CD & OBB, www.cd.cz from €14 in 2nd class, €29 in first class or €44 in business class (= premium first class).

And Regiojet, from €15, also with 3 or 4 classes, www.regiojet.com

In both cases, you print your own ticket.
Aug 28th, 2018, 11:26 AM

One person's 3-4 days is "enough," but it could be "scratching the surface" to someone else (including you). You really need to be the one making the tough decisions about how much time to spend anywhere (based on what you want to do/see, not what any of us likes) and whether you have the time and/or interest in adding more destinations. Some day/side trips may not be as appealing at the moment if the weather deteriorates or you're enjoying a place so much you don't want to take time away.

We usually travel in October and have learned to have a wait-and-see-the-weather attitude about some sightseeing plans. The Wachau Valley boat ride can be affected by the Danube's water level, as PalenQ noted on another thread is a problem this year, but this is probably something you could decide to do after you get to Vienna and determined whether you had a free day.

I would avoid flying into and out of the same airport to eliminate time spent/wasted backtracking. I would probably visit Prague first, hoping for good walking around weather, and then visit Vienna which has more indoor attractions. We've had some rain in both cities in October, and overnight temps in Prague that dipped below freezing.
Aug 28th, 2018, 11:27 AM

Buses actually seem to be about the same price as those train fares Man in Seat 61 gives - but those are often in short supply at that price so book ASAP. Each seem to take about 4 hours. That long give me a train any day but I'd take whatever is much cheaper if any at time of booking.

Last edited by PalenQ; Aug 28th, 2018 at 11:49 AM.
Aug 28th, 2018, 11:57 AM

I spent 5 nights in Prague and could have used more, especially if you are jet lagged. A day trip to Terezin was well worth it.

Maybe fly into Prague for x nights, go to C. Krumlov for a night, then onto Salzburg for a few nights before ending up in Vienna and fly home from there.
Aug 29th, 2018, 07:17 AM

I would spend more time in Vienna than Prague and from Salzburg back to Vienna you could easily stop for a night or two in the Lake District and or Hallstatt for a taste of the high Alps - all wondrously served by buses and trains.
Aug 30th, 2018, 03:21 AM
Original Poster

thank you, all! great thoughts...
Aug 30th, 2018, 09:02 AM

In addition to Prague, we also enjoyed Cesky Krumlov, Karlovy Vary, and Telc in the Czech Republic. Have not been to Vienna so can't comment on that.