October trip to Athens and Santorini

Old Aug 19th, 2007, 06:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
October trip to Athens and Santorini

Our son will be in Athens in college this Fall. We will be traveling there to visit him and want to spend a few days in Athens and go to Santorini during the midweek. We would appreciate advice regarding how to get to Santorini by boat, and also scheduling hotels in both cities. Are we ok to schedule the Santorini hotel when in Athens, and what are good mid price hotels in both cities? Also appreciate any other comments.
Old Aug 19th, 2007, 06:24 PM

Do you like to hike. If so then you should plan to walk the path from Fira to Oia in Santorini. It is so beautiful. Not sure on the pricing in October but we stayed at the El Greco which I would not recommend. Im sure there is a better place. Go at least four star if you can. There is a high speed ferry from Athens.
Old Aug 19th, 2007, 08:14 PM

Adrian Hotel in the tourist Plaka section of Athens is a nice mid-range hotel. Rates start around 140 Euro for a double, IIRC.

Rooms on highest floors facing _away_ from the street will have nice Acropolis views.

Adrian has an excellent, central Plaka location ... it's an easy walk to many of the main tourist attractions and restaurants.

http://www.douros-hotels.com
Old Aug 19th, 2007, 09:38 PM

You can go to www.openseas.gr and www.gtp.gr to see what ferries are going to Santorini from Athens/Piraeus on your travel dates.

The most beautiful village on Santorini is Oia; I recommend you stay there. I don't know what your definition of "mid price hotels" is, but check Strogili Houses, Nostos Apartments, La Perla Suites, Lava Oia's, Aspaki, Oia Castle, Chelidonia Villas, Delfini Hotel, Atrina Houses, Aris Caves, Old Oia Houses, Oia Mare, Esperas, Oia Castle and Nikos Villas.

As far as waiting until you're in Athens to book your Santorini hotel, you can certainly do that, but if you have a certain hotel in mind you might be disappointed if you don't get it.

In Athens check the Attalos Hotel, Cecil Hotel, St. George Lycabettus Hotel, Pan Hotel, Magna Grecia Hotel, Acropolis View Hotel, Amazon Hotel and the Hermes Hotel.
Old Aug 19th, 2007, 11:14 PM

Are you only going to Santorini for a couple of days? If so I would consider flying - it's not expensive and could save a lot of time.
Old Aug 19th, 2007, 11:36 PM

The Blue Star Paros timetable can be found at http://tinyurl.com/y4gsfk. You can see that it takes over seven hours to get to and from Santorini by ferry. Hellenic Seaways hasn't released their timetable for October yet, so I don't know when the faster highspeeds will be running.

I wholeheartedly agree with littlejane about flying to Santorini. Flights take about 45 min.
Old Aug 20th, 2007, 02:58 AM

ttt