Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

October 4 and 5 in Venice (need to plan 2 days)

Sep 12th, 2009, 11:08 AM
Original Poster

1 week until we leave for Greece/Italy from Canada

I really need to plan these 2 days, I really didn't not plan Venice enough compared to the other places (Rome/Athens/Mykonos/Santorini)

Based on my limited research, I was thinking doing the following (we arrive Saturday evening and leave Tuesday am, so we have full day Sunday and full day Monday)

morning and afternoon walking around and taking pictures and having dinner in St. Mark's Square (Piazza San Marco).....we would spend the rest of the evening there....
1) any restaurant advice (30-50 EUR each max)
2) for our walking around in the am and afternoon....any ideas (we are staying at the hilton)

the other day, I thought Burano and Murano....can these be done on the same day (i.e. are they close?)....how does it work, I just grab and "water taxi" from the hilton and i ask them to drop be to one of these islands...walk around...then grab a water taxi for Murano...walk around and grab another water taxi to go back to Hilton area...? Any lunch advice/diner advice for these areas?

Which of these 2 days would be better for the Monday and which would be better for the Sunday?

thanks so much!
Sep 12th, 2009, 12:38 PM

Yes, you can do Murano and Burano on the same day. NO--don't grab a "water taxi" unless you want to pay loads of money. You want to take a "water bus"--called a vaporetto, which will cost much less. Allow at least half your day to visit the two. Murano is only 10 minutes from the main island of Venice, but Burano is about 30 minutes further away. Since you'll have gone that far, you might as well visit Torcello as well, which is quite near Burano, and makes an interesting contrast to the other two.

Since you are staying at the Hilton which is on a separate island from the main part of Venice, you will probably need to take the water bus a lot. I suggest you get a vaporetto pass for the time you will be in Venice to save money.
Sep 12th, 2009, 01:01 PM

What I love to do most in Venice is to just wander.
Early morning is great when boats are unloading.

I wouldnt miss St Marks. The mosaics are absolutely amazing. I could look at them for hours. The floor and the ceiling is spectacular. Look what they did before there was TV

Rialto bridge is fun with endless shops and stands.

Have Ombre y Cichetti at Cantina Do Mori.

Vaporetto rides are fun. Get a 2 day pass and hop on and off anytime. Water taxis are dumb. Always empty and way too $$$$.

Have fun in MY Venezia...It is heaven on earth.
Sep 12th, 2009, 01:56 PM
Original Poster

So Vaporetto passes are likely sold at the train station?

If I arrive around 9-10pm on a train, will I be able to take a Vaporetto to the Hilton? I guess I need to know exactly which one to take and exactly which stop to take...?

Are these water buses easy to take, i.e. if I walk out of the hilton and want to go to Murano/Burano, do I need to plan a specific time, or I just walk out jump on any water bus and will end up getting there?

Do these "water bus" do the grand canal...a lot of people are recommending to take a ride on the grand canal up to st. marks...but where exactly should I take the water bus to do this?
Sep 12th, 2009, 02:14 PM

No...you cannot just get on any bus...there are different routes they take. You can get info here:

http://www.actv.it/english/home.php

Here's a site with a map and routes: http://www.venice-rentals.com/info/routes.html

You can purchase the passes online prior to your trip at http://www.veniceconnected.com/

Have a wonderful trip...we absolutely love Venice and Rome. My husband is a Venice convert...he didn't want to go - we're going back in the spring!
Sep 12th, 2009, 02:29 PM

If you purchase your pass ahead of time, you can get a discount.

From the Hilton on Giudecca, you can take the 41 or 42 to Murano. From Murano, you must take the LN vaporetto from the Faro stop to reach Burano. The full route map is here.

http://www.hellovenezia.com/jsp/en/muoversi/index.jsp
Sep 12th, 2009, 03:04 PM
Original Poster

Let's say we are stuck and don't want to wait for a bus....how much would a taxi cost from the train station to the hilton (approx) and from hilton to Burano?

let's say we leave for Burano/Murano at around 9am....likely 1-2 hours per island just to walk around should be ok right?

Should we start with burano or murano? Any lunch ideas for either places?

Does it matter what day we do these islands i.e. Sunday vs. Monday......

Are a lot of stores closed on Sundays in Venice?

For the "grand canal", where is a good place to take it "i.e. the recommended grand canal water bus or water tour ride"

Any dinner ideas for the square with an orchestra view?

For the other evening, is there another "fun spot" similar to the San Marks that would be a good place to have dinner?
Sep 12th, 2009, 03:15 PM
Original Poster

Would the Rialto bridge area be a good place for the second night dinner? how far is this from st. marks square?

by the way, the hilton has a free shuttle to the st. marks so do I still need a vaporetto pass?
Sep 12th, 2009, 03:16 PM

I'd expect 40-50 euros for train station to Hilton. I'd expect way more than 100 euros for Hilton to Burano. (Airport to main part of Venice is 95 euros one way--Burano is further away than the airport, plus there may be a premium if they can't get return fare.) Water bus tickets are 6.50 each, less if you purchase an unlimited pass.

Venice is tourist central, so many stores are open.

Do the fll length of the Grand Canal: begin at the train station/Piazzal Roma and end at San Marco (or the opposite).

I wouldn't dine in the piazza--too few choices. Drinks are enough . . . and pricey enough.

Another fun piazza that has more dining is Campo Santa Margherita.
Sep 12th, 2009, 03:17 PM

Piazzale Roma (bus station)
Sep 12th, 2009, 03:42 PM

You haven't said how you are arriving or departing from Venice (cruise, train, airplane), but I'll make an approximation of vaporetto trips.

1 - arrival to reach hotel
1 - full length of Grand Canal
1 - trip to Murano
1- trip to Burano
1 - trip back to main area of Venice
1 - departing from hotel

6 - minimum trips over your visit (6 x 6.50 = 39.00 euros)

A 72-hour pass is 33 euros at full price.
Sep 12th, 2009, 04:02 PM

Do you have a guidebook? It would be a great investment for your 2 day visit.

Also, I feel you should skip the islands of Burano and Murano this time and focus on seeing more of Venice.

Your hotel website has transportation to/from information.
Sep 12th, 2009, 04:20 PM

I disagree with zoecat on this occasion, no offence zoecat! We caught the vaporetto to Burano and absolutely loved it. We spent an hour or two wandering around, stopped for a beer and a glass of something bubbly and people watched for a little while. We bought my mother in law a gift from one of the little shops. We skipped Murano as we read so many reports that it's a tourist rip off, but I know others love it.
If money isn't a problem for you - use a water taxi if you can afford it. It would be a fun way to get to either island, very James Bond!!.

If you search the 'destinations' tab here on Fodors, and find Venice, you will probably find a 1 day itinerary which will give you a good idea of what you can achieve on the first day, then take it slowly on the 2nd day and just wander. You may not find a restaurant that can feed you for your budget close to St Marks, you may have to move away from there a little.

I hope you have a lovely trip.
Sep 12th, 2009, 04:59 PM
Original Poster

Thanks!

We will be arriving by train around 10PM....so I guess, I need to research if there are any waterbus that will bring us to the hilton that late? Anyone have that information?

We will be leaving by plane....really don't want to pay $100 EUR if I can avoid it.....so how would I do it?
Sep 12th, 2009, 05:14 PM

The website posted earlier

http://www.actv.it/english/home.php

has schedules
Sep 12th, 2009, 05:16 PM

For your departure to the airport, you can

- take the vaporetto to the bus station and take a land bus to the airport. (cheapest)

- take the Alilaguna boat directly to the airport

- take a private water taxi
Sep 13th, 2009, 05:15 AM
Original Poster

What about lunch ideas for Burano or Murano?

Dinner ideas near St. Mark's and is Rialto Bridge a good area to have dinner?
Sep 13th, 2009, 05:16 AM
Original Poster

What do I put as departure and arrival for the Airport to the Hilton (i.e. website)?

For the train station to the hilton?
Sep 13th, 2009, 06:25 AM

sorry to disagree but if i only had 2 days i wouldnt go to other islands. way too much to see right in Venice.

vaporetto #1 is good to just cruise grand canal.

there is a place called du Champs on Campo Santa Margherita
that has the best spritz/aperol...

the main train station is Stazione Ferroviaría Santa Lucia.

once you are thee it wont seem so complicated.
Sep 13th, 2009, 06:31 AM

Please look at a map of Venice. You will see that the Hilton is on Giudecca. Then study the vaporetto route map at the HelloVenezia link listed earlier.

Here is the Alilaguna site so you can compare:

http://www.alilaguna.it/index.en.html

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO