Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Oct. accomodations in Wengen (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/oct-accomodations-in-wengen-751831/)

BarbAnn Dec 5th, 2007 07:42 AM

Oct. accomodations in Wengen

I am planning a trip to Switzerland the third week in October 2008. I wanted to stay in Wengen, but all the hotels I have contacted are closed. Does anyone know of a hotel that is open in Wegen, Murren or Grindelwald at that time. I have previously stayed in Interlaken and Wegen. I prefer to stay in the mountains. Any ideas?

Thanks!

swandav2000 Dec 5th, 2007 12:47 PM

Hi BarbAnn,

I just checked the www.hrs.de site, and it shows one hotel in Muerren and about six in Grindelwald for the 3d week in Oct (I used the dates 20-26 Oct). I would check it out!

I had known about that site for some time, but I've begun using it more on the advice of a poster on another forum. It's really great -- it can cover a whole area and still gives great rates.

Good luck!

s

enzian Dec 5th, 2007 01:04 PM

And I just ran similar dates (actually 20 to 24 October 2008) through the search at www.wengen-muerren.ch and came up with 3 hotels in Wengen: Tte Regina, Eiger, and Alpenruhe Kulm, and 2 in Lauterbrunnen: Silberhorn and Staubbach.

BarbAnn Dec 5th, 2007 04:00 PM

Thank you for the replies. I have already contacted the Regina and Eiger in Wegen. I have also contacted the Staubbach, Oberland and Siberhorn. All have replied that they will be closed Oct. 24 & 25. I am waiting for a reply from Alpenruhe.

I will try www.hrs.de.

Barb

LilRicky Dec 5th, 2007 04:15 PM

Good that the Regina is closed; you might have been disappointed.

Did you try hotel Berghaus? Simple but wonderful!

tinlizzy2 Dec 5th, 2007 06:39 PM

I would highly recommend the Beausite Park Hotel. Make sure to get half board at this hotel. Meals are excellent.

Even if you do not secure a room, remember there is a tourist board at the train stop in Wengen showing room availabilities. Just pick up the phone and push one of the hotel buttons that shows available rooms. The actual tourist office is across the street down a bit. Has this changed?

Is there a lot going on in Oct. that is making this difficult?

BarbAnn Dec 5th, 2007 08:09 PM

I guess it is "in-between" seasons in the BO. I have found out that the ONLY hotel open in Wengen is the Alpenruhe. We may rethink where we go in the BO. Grindelwald has a few more hotels open. I know it is not car free, but we are also going to our beloved Zermatt...favorite hotel, favorite room. Thanks for all your suggestions.

Barb

enzian Dec 5th, 2007 08:12 PM

The hypothetical dates I entered had you leaving on the 24th. It's strange that everyone would be closing just as the weekend starts.
How long do you want to stay? What about an apartment or self-catered chalet? There are several on VRBO, and lots of them on www.wengen.com.