Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Oct. 2005 Trip To Italy (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/oct-2005-trip-to-italy-467530/)

islandbeachangel Aug 16th, 2004 01:29 PM

Oct. 2005 Trip To Italy

We're planning our first trip to Italy for early October 2005 (probably 4/5 days Rome, 7 days villa rental in Tuscany, 4/5 days Venice). My first question (of many more to come, I'm sure) is how far out do I need to make the hotel reservations and villa rental reservations? I have a few places in mind but I know it's too early now -- can I wait until the Spring or should I book later on this Fall?

When planning on Caribbean trips I generally make the reservations pretty far out -- not sure if this is necessary for Europe.

Thanks so much!!

M&M

elaine Aug 16th, 2004 01:36 PM

sorry, but all I can say is, it depends.
Some popular small hotels book up a year in advance, others will only take reservations a month or two or three in advance. If you have a place in mind, I"d book it as soon as they allow you to do so. If you're interested in a particular place, especially a villa, other people are likely to be as well, and some people are regulars every year.
Just find out how much deposit you have to pay, and what the cancellation policies are. Confirm everything by fax or email.
good luck

tdyls Aug 16th, 2004 02:23 PM

For October, there probably won't be that much of a problem getting reservations for hotels within a month or two of 10/05. The villa, however, is a whole 'nother story! Each property/rental company has a different policy as to how far out reservations are required, how much deposit must be paid and by when, etc. That being said, I don't think that you'd need to reserve the villa a year-plus in advance for an October arrival, since October is shoulder season bordering on low season.

bobthenavigator Aug 16th, 2004 04:14 PM

Many rentals may not have 2005 pricing until Jan. That is soon enough. I like to do hotels 6 months out if you know what you want.
Interesting screen name !

islandbeachangel Aug 17th, 2004 07:52 AM

Hi - thanks for your input! Looks like I'll make the villa decision & reservations later this Fall and then the hotels in early 2005. Can't decide whether to spend 4 or 5 nights in Rome & 4 or 5 nights in Venice... whether to fly into Rome first or Venice first...(will do an open-jaw ticket).

Time to start playing Lotto so I can 3 months instead of 17/18 days!!!

(screen name comes from my love of doing nothing on beaches... it's time for me to get a little culture in my life!! :) )

bobthenavigator Aug 17th, 2004 10:07 AM

Hmmm ! I live on the beach on an island but am seldom called an angel.

amy_zena Aug 17th, 2004 10:19 AM

I understand the peace of mind thing but....

I have always found that it is much better to book hotels 2 weeks to 1 month in advance. You get much better rates. If you can wait 1 week prior, even better.

I understand that there are certain hotels that do fill up far in advance as one poster stated, and I understand booking those hotels far in advance.

However I have only had 1 time where I could not get the hotel I wanted (the Pierre in Florence)--it was easter break and I called them the morning of the day I wanted the room (I had a change of plans at the last minute). Wasn't a huge problem I just booked my second favorite hotel in florence and got right in for a good rate.

Anyway, I personally never book a hotel in Italy more than 1 month in advance...I find you will pay a much higher rate.

casinadirosa Aug 18th, 2004 02:17 AM

That is not always necessarily true. To my great surprise, last year when I started renting my greatgranmother's house the first month to go was October! People were booking one year in advance.

As for special offers, you are likely to find very good deals in advance as well. Visit the properties' website proper instead of confining your search to portals. Many owners decide to make special offers only on their websites.

Good luck!

Gloria
---
http://www.casinadirosa.it/