Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Oct 20- Nov 3 2007 in Munich, what to see where to go, what to pack!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12th, 2007, 12:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Aloha from Hawaii! I am making my first trip. I will be traveling solo, but will be meeting someone there who has a car. I will be in Munich from October 20th to November 3rd 2007. I will be staying at the Hotel Vier Jahreszeiten Kempinski Munchen, Is this a nice and well located hotel to walk around the city? As I am from Hawaii anything below 70 degrees is cold so I expect I will need to wear more. How cold does it get during that time of year? What are some must see things? I will be going to Fussen for a short trip. I would love to see some old world stuff. All I see is Water & Mountains (not that I am complaining mind you) but taking a trip up to see some snow on the mountains would be nice as I have never seen snow (will there be any at this time of year?). I am young enough to get around without any limitations so I am open to all your great Munich insight. I love to Spa, Shop, Dining, Night Life, Art, Architecture. Any itinirary input would be great! Not much of a beer drinker but cocktails are always nice! Love the coffee as well! Mahalo in advance for all of your travel advise. I hope I am now posting this to the correct area of the message board!
Mahalo,
Jeanne
Old Jan 12th, 2007, 01:09 PM

What is 70°F in Celsius? Sorry, I'm not familiar with Fahrenheit. Probably much more than you'll find in Southern Germany in late autumn. So prepare for cold. Temperatures below zero (Celsius) are possible at night. More important, prepare for rain. Detailed predictions are impossible for more than a couple of days in advance, though.

The best way of coping with chilly weather is the so-called Zwiebelsystem (onion system), i.e. wearing several layers of clothing that can be put on or peeled off accroding to the conditions.

The Vier Jahreszeiten is situated in the city's most elegant street, just round the corner from the Residenz palace and a few minutes walk from Marienplatz and town center. Excellent location. I cannot tell you more about the hotel itself, as staying there would be far above my budget.

Snow: The only place that can guarantee snow is on the Zugspitze, the highest German mountain. So I'd suggest this daytrip: Go to Garmisch-Partenkirchen, by car or train, and take the cable car or the cog railway up to the top of the mountain. Wear all your clothes as it will be freeeezing cold up there. Go on a sunny day - if you are lucky you'll catch one of those clear autumn days with a view of 150 kms or more. The landscape and the views are amazing, and the small town of Garmisch-Partenkirchen with its painted old houses is worth a visit, too.

My favourite Bavarian-style restaurant: Spöckmeyer, in Sendlinger Straße, just round the corner from Marienplatz, next to the Kaufhof department store.

What to see in Munich: Use the city's official website for detailed information: http://www.muenchen.de/home/60093/Homepage.html
Old Jan 12th, 2007, 01:38 PM

Hi escrowmanager, i read your posts (man, they are all over the place so you gotta search!) so I should correct myself. sounds like you will need the thermies.

I've not had a cocktail in Germany, nor would I know how to order one, but you might try the different flavored Schnapps that they have there. Very fruity!

I also don't like beer, but will do wine, so the beer gardens are wasted on me. I like Pfalzer Weinstube for wine and sausages.

If you can ride a bike, you might want to go on a biking tour (if offered at that time). I did a walking tour of "Hitler's Germany." It was super interesting, and I still think about it from time to time. This one is complemented by a second tour to Dachau, if you're interested in seeing the camps. I did not take that second tour as I was afraid I'd get too emotional.
Old Jan 12th, 2007, 02:28 PM
Original Poster

Aloha quokka & Melissa, I went to the Web site quokka mentioned and have it bookmarked it looks like great info. I will meet a german speaking cousin (she speaks no english this should be a blast!!)and she has a car so we will be able to drive and visit the places mentioned to hopefully see some snow. Some have said it may be the time to see the leaves change color if no snow yet? either way it sounds beautiful.Melissa do you think a bike tour would be better than just walking the city? or do you suggest driving? How far spread out is the town? (Like Kailua you can walk anywhere) I will stock up on the thermies sounds like I may need an umbrella as well. Would love some tips on the night life in Munich!
Mahalo
Old Jan 12th, 2007, 04:11 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Hi,
We've been to Bavaria three times in late October. We experienced temps. in the daytime ranging from mid 50's to 70's and night temps. in the 30's and 40's. Of course every year can be different. Just some suggestions...
on the way to/from Fussen stop by the Wieskirche (wieskirche.de), it is magnificent inside!! I agree that to see snow, go to the top of the Zugspitze (www.zugspitze.de).
I don't like beer myself, but in Bavaria and Austria, try a Radler beer. It's a mix of beer and lemon-lime soda I believe and is very good.

Paul
Old Jan 12th, 2007, 09:17 PM

There's loads to see in Munich. It's fun to walk around the Old City (Altstadt) and pop in to various churches--the Asamkirche, Theatinerkirche, etc. The Victualen Markt is an open air market in the middle of town.

Especially memorable for me when I was in Munich this summer was the gorgeous, bejeweled statue of St. George in the Residenz.

The summer palace of the Wittelsbachs, Nymphenburg, is quite interesting. We especially liked the Marstallmuseum, with all the wonderful coaches and sleighs. If the weather is good, the gardens are pleasant for a walk.

If you're going to be in the neighborhood of Oberammergau, the Wieskirche, etc., I'd suggest visiting the Kloster Ettal, which is a stunning example of Bavarian rococo.

Don't forget that Munich has some great museums, the Neue Pinakothek, the Alte Pinakothek, etc.
Do be prepared for some rain, but you may also have quite nice weather--for fall, anyway. I agree with the idea of layering.
Old Jan 13th, 2007, 12:43 AM

Yes, this is the season when the leaves change colour. A drive round the countryside will be beautiful.
Old Jan 13th, 2007, 11:33 AM

I have stayed in hotel many times and you will love the location. It is a lovely hotel in the most exclusive part of the city on the Maximillian Strasse. I love staying there--afternoon tea is very elegant there in the lovely lobby. Try to catch a performance at the Opera House--a very short walk from your hotel. The other posters have outlined some of the other things that I too would have suggested. Munich is such a lovely city---I could live there happily, alas I am here in Washington, DC.
Old Jan 13th, 2007, 11:40 AM

>I could live there happily
You'd have to pay the bills and the rent as anywhere, but up to now I havn't found a better place. Still searching though ;-)