Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Obtaining TESOL degree: in Mallorca, Barcelona or Valencia? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/obtaining-tesol-degree-in-mallorca-barcelona-or-valencia-793971/)

Happyfella Jul 5th, 2009 02:53 PM

Obtaining TESOL degree: in Mallorca, Barcelona or Valencia?

I am undecided in which of three Spanish places (Palma in Mallorca, Barcelona or Valencia) to spend September or October obtaining a TESOL (Teaching English as a Second Language) certificate. Yes, I'm aware I can obtain a TESOl certificate in the USA, but I want to get away, and I enjoy Spain. I have spent vacations in Madrid, in Astoria and the south, so I would like to experience a new part of the country. I'm 55 and single, thus I assume will be older than most of the people taking the one-month course.
Besides soaking in the ambience of whichever city I select, I would also use the time to improve my Spanish, which I speak at the intermediate level. I have no desire to learn or speak Catalonian, having enough trouble learning and speaking Castillan. Excuse my ignorance, but what Spanish do people speak in the three places in question? Will I find native speakers with whom to speak Castillan Spanish?
Most of my days during the month will be taken up with the intensive English-language coursework, but there are nights and weekends free. What appeals to me about Mallorca is its size--it won't be as hectic as a larger city (but, maybe, it also won't be as interesting). I don't know if I'll be bored spending a month in Mallorca (though I could always fly, if it doesn't cost too much, to Barcelona for a weekend).
I never liked the club scene even when I was in my 30s. I like to spend my time meeting people other ways--it has always been easy for me to strike up conversations. I also like reading, visiting bookstores, restaurants, museums, etc. I like being outdoors and taking trips to interesting towns or villages, but am not into hiking or boating.
After my one-month course I'll spend another two-three weeks in Spain touring. As a retired businessman/author, I will not be on a student budget, I am happy to report. I don't like places really warm--like Madrid in August, for example. Which of the three will have the most pleasant September climate and is it worth waiting until October or November, if it will be too hot in any of them in September?
Granted, any of the three--Palma, Valencia or Barcelona-- will be wonderful to spend a month in. Any thoughts where I might spend it? Thanks. Robert in USA

nancicita Jul 5th, 2009 04:34 PM

Just so you know, TESOL teachers make barely enough money to sustain a vacation/holiday lifestyle in Europe. If you're considering the TESOL certificate, hopefully it's for fun and not for actual employment prospects.

And there are plenty of TESOL teachers in Spain.
There are more teachers looking for work than the number of jobs offered by the language schools.

Bushranger Jul 5th, 2009 04:56 PM

Half your luck Happyfella as we'd say downunder.
Valencia [supposed home of Paella] was my first stop in Spain many yaers ago and then Barcelona next [where on a later trip I bought a huge Paella Pan to take back to Switzerland on back of backpack with Ninja turtle look - cooked up enough for about 100 people].

Can't help re lingo though http://www.spainexpat.com/spain/forum/viewthread/2382/ has post right at top giving a good explanation.
I'd reckon you could not go too far wrong with Barcelona and wouldn't reckon on it being too uncomfortable in September/October.
Quite a large city but also an interesting place.

And nanci, I think Happyfella is just looking to do the course in Spain, not look for work there.

Though to give yourself some teaching exposure Hf, I read once of a place, either Spain or France where they had a live in arrangement for english speaking people to come for something like a summer school where english students could get a total english language immersion by having a number of english speaking residents about - whole place was english only, but outside of english hours, in return the english speakers could get a few hours tutoring in the spainish/french - something like that and sounded a good idea.

Happyfella Jul 7th, 2009 10:42 AM

Thanks, Nancicita and Bushranger for your replies. Fortunately, I would not have to depend on any money I earn teaching to live on. Nor am I necessarily looking for work in Spain. Sorry to hear they're so many TESOL teachers. If I go to Spain--I'm now thinking about taking the course in Chile--I've decided on Mallorca and probably in November, when there will be less tourists and chaper, though I imagine never really cheap, apartments to rent. Bushranger, the Spainexpat site is helpful. I'm new to this blog. How do I respond to each individual or is that not possible? I enjoy the site, for I can see that the well-travellled (in the good sense of that expression) participate in the site.

nancicita Jul 7th, 2009 01:42 PM

>> How do I respond to each individual or is that not possible?

Unfortunately, it's not possible.

Enjoy your TESOL course. You'll be attending class 5-8 hours a day and doing homework/practice teaching about 2 hours a day. Total length of an intro TESOL course is one month.