Observer's Best of the Best

Aug 13th, 1999, 10:32 AM
Lilith

Observer's Best of the Best

My very local newspaper recently picked up a list of the Observer's "best of the best of Europe" via the London News Service.

It lists such things as favorite garden, best brews, most exotic movie theater, tastiest ice cream, strangest hotel, most moving rain journey, most beautiful sunset, coolest club scene, dreamiest breakfast, and so forth.

I tried to find a site for either the Observer or the News Service, to cite for the amusement of the forum members, but was unable to do so.

Can anyone locate it, or has anyone seen the list in their own papers and can cut+paste it here?

Aug 14th, 1999, 05:41 AM
Grandy

Okay, I'll bite: what was the strangest hotel and the most exotic movie theater?

Aug 14th, 1999, 08:14 AM
Robin

Found a website the appears to be an offshoot of the Guardian in London, http://www.observer.co.uk/. Is this the same folks you are seeking?

Aug 15th, 1999, 08:42 AM
Lilith

Thank you, Robin -- a little hunting around the Observer archives at that site got me what I wanted, but unfortunately it's way too long to post here.

A few samples, though (for Grandy): Strangest hotel: Ice Hotel in northern Sweden -- built entirely of ice.
Most exotic movie theater: La Pagode in Paris.
Tastiest ice cream: from Il Gelatauro, in Bologna.
Most moving train journey (an un-self-conscious pun, I hope): from Bergen to Geilo in Norway.
Most beautiful sunset: Cape St. Vincent, Portugal.
Coolest club scene: Ibiza
Dreamiest breakfast: Hotel de Crillon, Paris.
Best airport (architecturally speaking): Kloten, Zurich.
Best restaurant: Alain Ducasse's on Avenue R Poincare, Paris.

... and there are many more. For those interested -- and I'd love to see a discussion here of the choices -- go to the Observer site: (http://www.observer.co.uk/ -- thanks, again, Robin) -- and search on "Europe's finest" -- or get to the 11 July issue of the Observer.

Aug 15th, 1999, 07:49 PM
Ron

Lilith, it is good that you did not post the whole article, since that would have contravened clause 5C of the Fodor's Subscribers Agreement, which I am sure we all review regularly.

Aug 16th, 1999, 04:38 AM
Lilith

Ron, I try to avoid contravening things whenever possible.

And of course I had just finished my weekly review of the Subscriber's Agreement when I decided only to refer others to the website (having been duly chastened by the firestorm created by USA Forum poster who lifted an entire travel narrative and presented it as his own -- I'd hate to have been only the second person in history to have breached copyright on the internet).