Oberried? Soglio? Ardez? Gersau?

Aug 8th, 2001, 07:48 AM
jw

Oberried? Soglio? Ardez? Gersau?

This summer I have enjoyed reading all of the postings from travelers who have fallen under the spell of Switzerland. Presently I am landlocked and I'm suffering from Swiss-withdrawal (for want of a better word). The only cure at times like this is to begin researching and planning and dreaming of the next time, and in that regard you all have been a delightful resource. May I presume to ask if you've had any experience with the towns I've listed above? (Oberried on Brienzersee, Soglio southwest of St. Moritz, Ardez in the Engandine, and Gersau on Lucerne's lake) They've long been on my list of possible places to settle in for 4 or 5 nights. I travel via the remarkable Swiss Pass, usually in June, my priorities lean toward the aesthetic (landscape, regional architecture, art, crafts, and foods, town life and traditions), and my budget is 2-star or B&B. My most treasured memories are of the generous hospitality of the Swiss people, several of whom I am now pleased to call my friends. If you've got any comments to share, I'd love to read them. jw

Aug 8th, 2001, 08:53 AM
Ed

I can speak a bit to Oberreid and Gersau.

I'd feel a bit constrained in Oberreid with a SwissPass. Lovely setting on the lake, but little place, conveniently, to go. So near the mountains, yet ...

By the way, if you're checking schedules it'Oberried am Brienzersee.

Same concern, though more so, at Gersau. Probably the fastest way to Luzern is a bus to Brunnen, then train to Luzern. Else a slowish boat to Luzern. We've spent a couple of weeks based at Vitznau just to the west on the lake and enjoyed ourselves immensely ... albeit with a car. We've also been in Weggis for a few days with equal delight, but again, with a car.

We're big fans of the Swiss Pass. But we carefully position ourselves with an eye to schedules and where we easily can reach on day trips. Oberried and Gersau wouldn't work at all for us with a Swiss Pass.

On the other hand, if you just want to settle into a village for a stay, then the Swiss Pass may be an unnecessary expense, instead just buying point to point tickets as needed.

twenj

Aug 11th, 2001, 06:17 AM
jw

Hasn't anyone actually stayed in any of these places? Surely there are some off-the-beaten-track sort of posters out there. No?

Aug 11th, 2001, 07:52 PM
Karen

I visited Soglio long ago (1984) and really liked it. The scenery was incredible and we took hikes in the mountains. The narrow street were charming. I wish I could have spent more time there and I would like to return again. I don't remember where I stayed. We arrived late without reservations and found something but it wasn't memorable.

Aug 12th, 2001, 06:48 AM
jw

Thanks Ed and Karen! Oberried and Gersau sound perfect! I love Swiss buses and slow boats and --it goes w/o saying--the trains. Oberried seems to have a couple of trains each hour and then there are those wonderful lake boats. I always stay in places with no high-rise apartment buildings (thus have scratched Vitznau and Weggis from my list)(perhaps I exaggerate, 'low-rise apartment buildings'?). Karen, Soglio sounds like my kind of place. Isn't it wonderful that we continue to add lovely towns to return to? I hope I live long enough to settle once more into lovely places like Rivaz and St. Saphorin on Lac Leman, Leissigen on Thunersee, Rapperswil on Zurich's lake, and little Gerra-Gambarogno on Lago Maggiore. Does anyone have any more hidden treasures they'd like to share?

Aug 26th, 2001, 07:16 AM
cy

Can't contribute, but I'm also looking for out-of-the-way places.

Oct 9th, 2002, 05:31 AM
ttt

topping for small places