Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Oberammergau Passion Play Tickets (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/oberammergau-passion-play-tickets-1664307/)

NE Mar 2nd, 2019 06:59 PM

Oberammergau Passion Play Tickets

We are planning a trip to Bavaria and would love to take in the passion play in Oberammergau next year . What is best way to get tickets ? Do it ourselves or go through a tour operator? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

milaedg Mar 2nd, 2019 09:25 PM

We reserved a 2-day package (tickets, accommodation, and meals) directly through the Passion Play website https://www.passionsspiele-oberammer...s-arrangements. Tickets for performance only go on sale March 6,

Dukey1 Mar 3rd, 2019 01:59 AM

We reserved our package almost one year ago. You can get tickets through tour operators but the problem with that method can be the necessity of having to take an entire tour, also. We've done the Passion Play twice before. This time around we were required to wire the funds for the package to the bank in Germany. If you can get tickets for the play itself only I would do so but be aware that a lot of tickets are allotted to tour operators and the best seats go to people who have taken hotel/ticket packages. Basically the site lines in the theatre are good, however. Also be aware that the play takes place in two parts, each is about 3 hours in length. There will be either a lunch break or a dinner break depending on next year's start time. The town will be jammed on play days. With a ticket you get a program but it is impossible to read it in the dark of the theatre and the play is performed and sung entirely in German. It is, IMO, a worthwhile experience but you need to be fully aware of what and how it takes place.

Macross Mar 3rd, 2019 06:03 AM

Dukey, for your lunch or dinner break do you go to the home, guest house or hotel and they provide? We have been there so many times but never for the Passion play.

NE Mar 3rd, 2019 06:29 AM

Thank you - I wonder if it may be better to get the play and a night at a local hotel package .

Dukey1 Mar 3rd, 2019 07:41 AM

Macross, on the two previous occasions the break meal was provided in the booked accommodation and we have walked to those and then back to the theatre for the second segment.

NE, I wish I could answer your question. As I said above, you may have to get on some sort of tour which has the Play as part of the itinerary and then again you may not. My sense is that a lot of the audience members simply get performance tickets.

Trophywife007 Mar 3rd, 2019 10:42 AM

Hi Dukey: I always appreciate your hotel recommendations, so, what hotel(s) do you recommend for a Passion Play visit? TIA.

Trophywife007 Mar 3rd, 2019 04:13 PM

So after looking at the link, at this point I'll be lucky to just find a place in Oberammergau that summer, never mind booking a certain hotel. NE, I hope things work out the way you wish.

Macross Mar 3rd, 2019 04:46 PM

My husband had TDY there twice at the NATO School and it was always interesting to hear how the whole town participates in pulling this off. Those in the play start growing their beards and hair on Ash Wed. You could also look at places like Murnau to stay. Thanks, Dukey for the reply. That is what I remember them saying because to find a place to eat is nearly impossible so having your hotel or host in guesthouse is the way to go.

Dukey1 Mar 3rd, 2019 05:37 PM

Trophy, we have stayed in several different hotels in Ober but we have also done daytrips there and surrounds from Munich. For the Play in 2020 our package hotel assignment is for the Park Hotel Sonnenhof and we were in the same hotel back in 2000. Frankly, I think the hotel recs on TripAdvisor are as accurate as any others.

Besides Murnau you could also look at places like Unterammergau or Ettal, especially if you have the use of a car. Murnau and Unter have relatively frequent rail connections to Oberammergau as well as Munich. The Play basically seems to hog about everything accommodation-wise on certain days during the 5-6 months or whatever the season is now and, of course it generates a massive amount of revenue for the town. AFAIK the theatre basically sits unused for 9.5 years at a time although the place surely must try to use it for other things in the intervening time period you would think.