OBB NightJet Rome to Salzburg?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2017, 07:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know if the OBB NightJet from Rome to Salzburg requires a train change? From the website it's hard for me to know.

For anyone who has taken this train, how did it work for you? Taking the night train will give us almost a full extra day in Salzburg since the other option is to fly to Munich, then train to Salzburg during the day.

Thanks in advance!

Bret
Old May 1st, 2017, 08:29 PM

Hi txdad2002,

I'm not super comfortable at the ÖBB site as I am the DB site. Even if you aren't going to buy from the DB site, its scheduler shows pretty much all connections in Europe. If you want to take a look, go to

www.bahn.com

and enter

From Rome
To Salzburg

and use your date and the time of 19.00

You'll see a selection of connections, and the one leaving at 19.04 shows a "0" in the "Changes" column -- so it does not require a change.

If you click on "Show Details," you'll see the train number (EN 294 or whatever it's called for your dates); if you click on the train number, you'll get all the stops so you can see its route.

This is the night train I took from Orvieto to Munich, as I think I told you on your other thread. It was a lot of fun! I like to get a private cabin, and to me it's well worth it.

Have fun as you plan!

s
Old May 2nd, 2017, 12:42 AM

Direct train along the old railway line (in Italy). Web fares for random date June 7th:
seat: 39 EUR/pax
supplements for couchette or sleeper cabin
http://www.oebb.at/en/
Old May 2nd, 2017, 01:25 PM

I don't know why people think the Bahn.de is the be-all-and-end-all of train sites. You can get the exact same information on the Obb.at site. And also buy the ticket!

And you can see it and buy the ticket on the Trenitalia site as well. Trenitalia gives you the helpful additional information that you can also leave Rome 45 minutes later and catch up with the Nightjet in Florence, by taking the fast train to Florence.

https://www.lefrecce.it/B2CWeb/searc...D=BHPJGvAXL0m4

Bahn.de is a decent website, but for many things I prefer the other websites. But I really don't see using Bahn.de for trips that have nothing to do with Germany, since you'll just end up on a different web site to buy the tickets.
Old May 2nd, 2017, 02:46 PM

I find bahn.de/en easy to use - for any schedule question like this - I get used to one site and its many features rather than navigate an unfamiliar site that is not always easy to use and always find it infallible. For lots on trains and night trains - what to expect- check www.seat61.com -sage advice on discounted ticketing- www.ricksteves.com and www.budgeteuropetravel.com.

the cheapest fares are probably in multi-person with strangers in a couchette - often unisex - I'd pay extra for a private double -no worrying about theft if someone leaves the door unlocked (all compartments have doors that lock from the inside and not even a conductor can get in) - in couchettes folks may go out to WC at night and not lock it upon return. Plus in couchettes it is a crap shoot who you are traveling with - the loud snorer or people who talk loud late at night, etc.
Old May 2nd, 2017, 09:05 PM

Lol, I also find the bahn.com site much easier to use, as I said.

I've used the ÖBB site a bunch of times, of course, when I travel to/through Austria, particularly to Switzerland. I've always found it cumbersome, having to click through too many pages just to get timetable information, then having to start again when choosing to buy. It also doesn't include a great density of timetable information for trips that don't include Austria, which the DB site does for trips that don't include Germany.

It's just a personal preference. I wouldn't denigrate those who find the ÖBB site more intuitive -- also no need to denigrate those who prefer the DB site.

s
Old May 3rd, 2017, 09:14 AM

Yes bahn.de/en is so so quick to get needed info. But yes mainly only books trains involving Germany destinations from abroad. But for schedule info a snap.
Old May 4th, 2017, 01:43 AM
Original Poster

Sorry this reply took so long - thanks to EVERYONE for taking the time to give great feedback. I guess favorite sites are a bit like religion, everyone has their favorite. I'll try them all then figure out which works best for me. It's just great getting the feedback so I have some idea of the differences.

Thanks again to all!
Old May 4th, 2017, 10:50 AM

. I guess favorite sites are a bit like religion, everyone has their favorite>

Like moi it may be a case of finding one that is simple to use and then not investigating the plethora of other sites, which may be just as good. Find one you like and is easy and quickly gives you lots of info besides just times.