NYC family looking for mellow but upscale European beach village

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13th, 2016, 10:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone -- We are a small family from NYC looking to rent a European villa for two weeks in August, and we are trying to identify some beach towns that meet our criteria.

We are looking in places like Greece, Portugal, Croatia and Spain for a small village, but there are so many options. Hoping someone can narrow down some specific villages for us to consider. We are willing to consider any countries -- things like the Stockholm archipelago have always interested me.

We want:
* Active outdoor beach-y vacation: swimming, riding bikes instead of driving a car, boating, going to the town pool, etc.
* Casual elegance (we do not want flashy nightclubs and the whole Ibiza / St. Tropez / etc type of party towns)
* Walk / bike to village with shops, yummy restaurants, etc.
* Established vacation area that has attracted travelers for years (not looking for a purpose built resort)
* FAMILY FRIENDLY - we have a 3 year old boy. Needs to be the type of town where a kid will be tolerated.

We have crazy high stress jobs in the city and vacation is a time for us to be together as a family. So we prefer things like cooking breakfast at home together as a family; we aren't looking to dine at 5 star restaurants (we have enough of those at home).

We typically go to Nantucket. Basically I am looking for some "Nantucket-like" options in Europe. Does not need to be as high end. Just looking for laid-back casual but still upscale.

Before we had a kid, we have previously rented villas in Italy (Positano, Tuscany, Rome), Switzerland (Wengen, Zermatt), and France (St. Tropez, Provence) and we have had amazing experiences.

As an example of something I enjoy: if I took another trip to the South of France, I would prefer the more serene St. Jean Cap Ferrat (still very upscale) over St. Tropez or Monaco.

We usually rent a 1-2 bedroom villa on the cheap and pretend we are locals for a week.
Old Jan 13th, 2016, 10:33 AM

Ile de Ré.
Old Jan 13th, 2016, 10:47 AM

An upscale club like the french 'club Med' ?
Old Jan 13th, 2016, 10:58 AM

If you like Nantucket (I'm partial to the Vinyud) You might really enjoy San Sebastian or a smaller town like Lekeitio, Getaria or Zumaia.
Old Jan 13th, 2016, 11:07 AM

There are some beautiful places on the Greek island of Corfu. It is also large enough to rent a car and go exploring. Your little son will most definitely be tolerated.

http://realcorfu.com/
Old Jan 13th, 2016, 11:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses! Really appreciate it. I will start looking.
Old Jan 13th, 2016, 01:40 PM

Second Egbert's <You might really enjoy San Sebastian or a smaller town like Lekeitio, Getaria or Zumaia.>

And you could add Hondarribia: http://www.euskoguide.com/places-bas...ribia-tourism/

Here's a little more about San Sebastian a 20 min drive from Hondarribia, some of the finest city beaches on the continent, fabulous food, children everywhere etc. etc. http://www.euskoguide.com/places-bas...stian-tourism/

San Sebastian celebrates Aste Nagusia/Semana grande/Big week in mid August: http://www.euskoguide.com/basque-cul...semana-grande/
Old Jan 13th, 2016, 01:44 PM

In Greece be prepared for a challenging search -- what you want is what everybody wants! Good Beach, but not jammed with people... lovely established village with lots of options but of course not packed .. Casual elegance (of course! no one wants to be in midst of downscale crowds)

Problem is, the whole of Northern Europe wants this -- and everybody gets holiday the same time -- August!! -- and jumbo charter jets all day long dump 500 vacationers at places with lovely beaches (and airports big enough for big planes). Your best bet would be islands that are harder & more expensive to reach, and limited accommodations.

When you think about it, that's why Nantucket is still pleasant and reasonably low-key in mid-summer .. not easy/quick to reach, not huge hotels. I'm old enough to remember when Martha's Vineyard was like that, from the 50s thru mid-70s. Then the Kennedy Crowd, the NY Times Gang, all the liberals I love discovered it. But I have my memories.

In the Eastern Aegean I can name some isles you would like, but not upscale enough. In the Cyclades I would suggest Sifnos. No Airport. Ferry 1x a day, skips some days. Limited lodgings, but some that are upscale. I would suggest looking at Vathy Beach. There's a 5* hotel right on beach Eliles Resort, only 5* on Island (thank god). But also a number of villas: http://www.thesaurus.gr/sifnos_vathi_accommodation.htm Thesaurus is the best agency to find what u want, founded on Sifnos, knows many pvt villas rented only thru them, villas owned by Greek-speakers.

This website http://sifnos.e-sifnos.com/index.htm gives excellent comprehensive picture of island's highlights and activities.
Old Jan 13th, 2016, 03:07 PM

We also spent summers on Nantucket. You might want to investigate
(since you mentioned Sweden) Visby on Gotland Island.
http://www.swedenroadtrip.com/gotland-visby/
We stopped there on a small ship cruise… and it is lovely.
Sailing through the archipelago is a fascinating experience.
Old Jan 13th, 2016, 04:15 PM

kortula?
Old Jan 13th, 2016, 06:26 PM

Another vote for San Sebastian/Donostia but take a look at Santander, where few Americans go.
Old Jan 13th, 2016, 09:34 PM

Santander is great. Went recently to Oviedo and the region - opposite west on Atlantic coast. Very nice too.
Old Jan 13th, 2016, 09:59 PM

Have a look at Bastad, in Sweden. It's some years since we were there, but it looked like a great place for a low-key familie beach holiday.
Old Jan 14th, 2016, 01:09 AM

I think Tulip's suggestion is a very interesting one. Skåne was named by the NYT as one of the 52 places to visit in 2016. You could rent a stuga (one of those cute red wooden cottages) and bikes. It is close enough to Denmark to go there for some day trips on the ferry. Arild and Kullen are beautiful areas.

If you want somewhere hotter and more established as a tourist destination, I could recommend a quiet(ish) corner of Cyprus, around the Akamas and Latchi which is a fishing village with several restaurants/cafes around a harbour. You can rent a villa, rent bikes but it would be too hot in August for cycling around IMO. The island is big and has loads to do. It is not a Nantucket-like option though. There are upscale hotels and villas but it's no St Tropez. Locals adore kids, almost all speak English and see few American tourists.
Old Jan 14th, 2016, 01:30 AM

IMHO Cascais feels all the criteria.
Old Jan 14th, 2016, 10:02 AM

After having had trips to Cape Cod and a 100 odd coastal trips to Europe two places stand out.

il de Re as StCirq suggests : stylish but not flashy. Lots of cycling and great restaurants, La Rochelle has a great vibe and the coast is very Cape Cod like.

Sandhalm in the Swedish archipelago. Again very stylish but the Swedes are anything but flashy. The island isn't big but there are beautiful beaches and forest
tracks for cycling. From here it's very easy to island hop around the archipelago using the ferry system.

I'd suggest Sweden, for one main reason. The Swedes are generally very comfortable in their skins. By a long measure, we found it to be the most relaxing break we've ever had. The logistics, food, restaurants and most importantly the demeanour of the Swedes hugely helps.

Go to Sicily and you'll need another week to the recover.

Going to Sweden is like relaxing on a sofa.

To be honest from your description, I'd actually stay in The States : go the One of the Low Country sea islands , rent a house with a dock, fish , crab, kayak with dolphins and experience the incredible food scene in Charleston. You avoid the jet lag.

We rent this place .

It's epic.
Old Jan 14th, 2016, 10:05 AM

Sorry missed the link

https://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p171417
Old Jan 14th, 2016, 01:11 PM

I think the Greek island of Hydra is exactly what you are looking for.

The town of Hydra is a picture-perfect settlement, dotted with old mansions and churches. Traditionally a wealthy island, many of the Greek shipping magnates come from here, and always popular with the high Athenian society, Hydra is defined by its elegance. Yet, it is quite laid-back. Cars are forbidden in the island, as part of the protection of the cultural and natural landscape of the island, and the only way of transportation is the donkey.
There are boutique jewelry shops, seaside tavernas, trendy restaurants and bars, mansions-turned-museums, churches and monasteries to explore. But exploring the picturesque alleys and squares of the town, is the best thing you can do.
There is a beach in front of the town with great emerald water, but there also are some great beaches that you can visit by taking the daily sailing ship and touring the beaches of the island, or even some neighboring islets.
Now you mentioned you want to stay in a villa. Hydra has that in abundance, as old captain mansions are renovated and transformed to modern villas. I did a quick research myself (in Airbnb) and found villas with sea-view, swimming pools, private gardens etc. And beautifuly renovated combining modernity with local tradition.

I have personally have been to the French Riviera, Italian Riviera, Amalfi Coast and Capri, but I did not find any place nearly close to the beauty and serenity of Hydra.

(bonus: the Sophia Loren film "Boy on a dolphin" was shot in Hydra in 1957, making it the new celebrity and artist hotspot. Many celebrities have houses in Hydra, and in the Summer you can see their yachts in the port)

Here is a panoramic view of the town:
http://mustseeplaces.eu/wp-content/u...ort-greece.jpg
And an artice of the NYT for Hydra:
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/14/tr...t-circuit.html
Old Jan 14th, 2016, 11:28 PM

Wow Britishcaicos, what an amazing house to rent for a holiday!
Old Jan 17th, 2016, 05:53 AM

<i> NYC family looking for mellow but upscale European beach village
Posted by: ABCDEFG on Jan 13, 16 at 2:16pm
Posted in: Europe
Tagged: Croatia , Greece , Portugal , Spain </i>

Two options if you are willing to look north:
La Baule, France
Katwijk and Noordwijk, Netherlands

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -