Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   NY hotel - urgent - please can you help? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/ny-hotel-urgent-please-can-you-help-568269/)

Kavey Nov 2nd, 2005 02:15 AM

NY hotel - urgent - please can you help?

My sister and friends are due to depart on Friday morning for New York. One of them is running the NYC marathon this Sunday to raise money for an MS charity hence their presence on such a busy weekend.

Yesterday they were called by the apartment they had reserved and told that the last set of guests have trashed the place so badly it cannot be rented at all until it's fixed. Sounds slightly dodgy and they are worried about getting their deposit back but that's another issue.

One of the girls spent 10 hours yesterday and finally found a replacement apartment; it's twice the price and actually too small for their numbers but they've booked it and will make the best of it.

Unfortunately my cousin will be visiting over the marathon weekend to see my sister. She was originally going to stay in the apartment but the new one is too small so my sister is looking for a hotel room as near to the apartment as possible but that isn't too expensive.

New apartment is at 427 EAST 82ND STREET (between 1st Avenue and York Avenue).

PLEASE can anyone help find a hotel in this area that has availability for a twin or double room for the nights of 5th and 6th November? We're looking to book something in the next few hours so I'll come back to the thread and post once this thread is obsolete. THANKS

PS I know this is the Europe forum but this is where I more often post so I'm posting this here incase any of my Europe-board friends spot it and can help. I have posted in US forum too. THANK YOU!

SiobhanP Nov 2nd, 2005 03:01 AM

Kavey I looked up late rooms.com with no luch but how about priceline? I don't think from what I remember working in NY there are lots of hotels near this area as its more residential but priceline may get you somewhere. It may be difficult due to the Marathon.

Kavey Nov 2nd, 2005 03:04 AM

Siobhan
I checked priceline and expedia, no real luck but she may have to compromise on location, which would be a bit of a nightmare.
Thanks for looking...
Yes the prob is the marathon...

SiobhanP Nov 2nd, 2005 03:31 AM

Well to be honest there are always taxi's around in NY and she would probably get something mid town and could hop a taxi or train quickly to them or on 5th Ave which may be closer to them. Did you post on the U.S. board as they may have some contacts from living there and I am sure somone may have an idea or contact for you there. Best of Luck!

Margie Nov 2nd, 2005 04:00 AM

Considering occupancy this weekend you should probably widen your search and your cousin can use public transportation or cabs to meet up with her friends. Applecorehotels.com has several of their hotels available (overpriced due to a popular weekend, but at least they HAVE rooms) The Times Square Super 8 is $250 for the 5th and $109 for the 6th (Queen Room) or you can get a room with 2 double beds for $259 on the 5th and $119 for the 6th. The hotel is at 46th St. between Fifth and Sixth Avenues, not near the apartment, but a decent mid-town location and convenient to transporation. Let us know how you do with your search - good luck!

Kavey Nov 2nd, 2005 04:06 AM

Thanks so much folks... will follow these up.

Currently best one I can find nearest the apt is Bentley hotel which is coming to $280 a night which is more than she'd like but in a good location so she may compromise on price...

Carta_Pisana Nov 2nd, 2005 04:15 AM

you may want to try
http://newyork.craigslist.org/

under housing there is vacation rentals - you might be able to find something there.

Kavey Nov 2nd, 2005 04:31 AM

Thanks everyone for the help.
The nearest we could find was the Bentley hotel which she has just booked via expedia. More than she wanted to spend but a priority was to be as close to the apartment as possible. Rate was $647 for the two nights including taxes. Steep but... it is a bad weekend to be looking for a bargain in NY especially when location is restricted.
THANKS FOR YOUR HELP

Grandma Nov 2nd, 2005 03:15 PM

Sorry I came late to this... since I live in the area. (I was going to suggest the Gracie Inn a B&B type on East 81 just off York.) However, we've had several friends stay at the Bentley.. with no real complaints. It's easy to catch a bus just outside on York Ave.& 61 to join the group up on 82nd Street. (or for marathoners it's an easy sprint!) Tell your sister et al to head West at night to Second Avenue. That's where all the restaurants, etc. are. 82nd between York and First is a nice, safe area.... don't worry.