Search

SPAIN FOR 2WKS

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22nd, 2015, 08:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SPAIN FOR 2WKS

My husband and I are finally fulfilling our dream vacation.
Running with the bulls is in his bucket list and getting to know my mother land with its culture is mine, so here we go.
7/3-7/5 Madrid, 7/5-7/8 Pamplona (Festival de San Fermin), 7/8-7/11 Barcelona, 7/11-7/12 Malaga, 7/12-7/14 Granada, 7/14-7/15 Ronda, 7/15-7/17 Sevilla, 7/17 back to 7/18 Madrid.
We're taking the train from Madrid, Pamplona & Barcelona then flying down to Malaga and renting a car until the end of our trip.
Your suggestions are greatly appreciated as it's my first trip to Europe. I know it will be a bit rushed but I would like to take in as much as I can. No Kids just the two of us <3
Old Jan 22nd, 2015, 08:51 AM

Have you done a trip like this before? Do you generally like this kind of pace? Like I imagine it is for many others, it is too much for me, but only you know how you will enjoy it. Consider that two nights in a place only gives you one full day--pack light because you will be moving a lot.
Do you know the area of Spain from which your family came? That might help focus if you wish to visit fewer places.
Two notes: book accommodation in San Fermin asap.
It will be very very hot in the south.
Old Jan 22nd, 2015, 09:07 AM

Much too much. Seven places in two weeks on a first trip to Europe. At that time of year, I'd leave Andalusia out, unless that's where your family came from, in which event I'd leave Barca out.

Finally, you've omitted Toledo, which was one of our favorite places.
Old Jan 22nd, 2015, 09:17 AM

Agree that you need to focus this more.

If you look at your itinerary you can see that it makes no sense - you are counting many days 3 times: you can the day as being in city 1, as traveling from city 1 to city 2 and also as being in city2.

What you need to do is list each day, then say where you wil start, what you will o - if sightseeing ORtravel, and where you will sleep that night. You just don;t really have enough time anywhere to see much.

Also - in summer Andalusia is extremely hot - as in 100 is a normal high and it can get as high as 120 degrees. We have been twice in April - and it was summer/swimming weather (highs in the 80s) then.

Agree I would find out what area your family is from and take the opportunity to visit that.
Old Jan 22nd, 2015, 09:19 AM

"I know it will be a bit rushed but I would like to take in as much as I can." Yes, a bit rushed!

Why not simply fly back from Sevilla instead of having to return to Madrid? You can make a connecting flight.

I take it you've already made your arrangements for the fiesta, which starts on a Monday this year. That means the city will be packed over the weekend.
Old Jan 22nd, 2015, 10:05 AM

While your trip may seem rushed, I do understand your wanting to see as much as possible. Not everyone has the 20 yrs we did to see all. That said, I would do a drive-by of Ronda. You can see everything in a half day. Spend those days in Seville with a day trip to Cordoba. Or, on landing pick up the car and head to Ronda to chill out. Agree that you should try to visit the town from which your family comes. It will be GREAT fun. It used to be very difficult to get accomodations in Pamplona, but a friend was there a couple of years ago and had no difficulty whatsoever. Believe they stayed in a renovated convent. Said it was terrific. I'll ask her. Her husband ran a number of days, but they didn't attend the corridas which, to us, is somewhat odd.
Old Jan 22nd, 2015, 10:09 AM

By your train tickets really early to get the limited in number deep discounted tickets - walk up fares can be so so steep - www.renfe.com is tshe official Spanish Railways site - see what's available - I believe you can book up to 3 months (may 2) early or longer. For lots of great info on Spanish trains check these superb IMO sites: www.seat61.com - great info on discounted tickets and other sites to get the discounts that may be easier to use than fickle renfe.com; www.budgeteuropetravel.com and www.ricksteves.com.

You could also take an overnight train between Barcelona and the Malaga area - save travel time even over flying and the cost of a night in a hotel.
Old Jan 22nd, 2015, 10:24 AM
Original Poster

no we haven't been to Spain before. Seville/Andalusia seems to be where my roots are from. I'd love to go where the heart of Flamenco is not so much the generic places. I understand Madrid/Barcelona are big cities but we chose to fly down to the southern part and rent a car because we also want to see the countryside. We already have Pamplona bought (hotel & balconies) currently working on all its final details. We understand it has to be done way ahead of time including some dinner reservations as restaurants get packed as well.
All hotels are pretty much booked with the exception of Barcelona & Madrid. Airfare already purchased as well. When I repeated the days I was implying checkout from one hotel to the next hotel that same day. We are booking hotels with swimming pools to ease that heat although I'm Caribbean so I can handle heat (live in Florida now).
Old Jan 22nd, 2015, 10:52 AM

The heat is totally manageable, no matter what others say here. Can't imagine what they might expect - the Spanish Tourist Office always has a sun on its posters and web pages. And then there are others who expect winter in Andalucia to be swimming weather when, in fact, it can be quite cold. Oh well.
Old Jan 22nd, 2015, 11:02 AM

I think some people may be unaware the a/c is not present everywhere and would like to be prepared.
Old Jan 22nd, 2015, 11:42 AM
Original Poster

I understand. My husbands mainly wants to run with the Bulls and I want to hang out more so with the locals in Andalucia. Were not big with museums. In our itinerary we have of course La Sagrada Familia Catedral , Park Guell, Barri Gotic, El Alhambra, the Arab baths, the Alcazar, Giralda...because is just the two of us and "we would like to see but is not set in stone to see" I think we may play it by ear and see where it takes us... I so appreciate everyone's suggestions.
Old Jan 22nd, 2015, 11:48 AM

Well, of course it's not present everywhere, but we all managed without it in "olden days.". we've all become soft (not talking about people who are sick). BTW, new laws have come into effect that those who rent out apts and houses will have to provide A/C, heating, and free wi-fi; inspections and licensing will be carried out,and taxes will have to be paid on earnings (which are now often hidden from the govt).
Old Jan 22nd, 2015, 11:49 AM

Enjoy seeing Andalucia...we were there last October and I did a Fodors report on Spain. Yes, the usual caution to not rush. It is a long way from Barcelona and then there's some time in Madrid. For me the Royal Palace and Prado Museum are musts. Yes Ronda in half a day but surely more time in Granada, Sevilla, Cordoba, Malaga (Roman ruins)...and of course a flamenco show somewhere. You'll see Fodor discussions on flamenco including one on duende.
Old Jan 22nd, 2015, 11:53 AM

Lilly, just remember to get tickets in advance for the Alhambra and the Sagrada Familia. Can't play it by ear at either place.
Old Jan 22nd, 2015, 12:13 PM
Original Poster

I'll look into those to buy in advance. Any other places? Thanks much.
Old Jan 22nd, 2015, 12:18 PM
Original Poster

Have any of you guys seen Anthony Bourdain Parts Unknown for Spain? I loved where he went to see the Flamenco in that cave. Would love to go there. Andalucia is definitely my priority. The only reason we're staying in Rhonda is because the hotel is absolutely gorgeous (Hotel Montelirio) and we reserved a suite. Romance is key in this trip so maybe this could be a stay to recharge the batteries. I have to find time for those Roman Ruins too
Old Jan 22nd, 2015, 12:43 PM

Oh, so this is a romantic trip to recharge batteries? That might be aided by relaxing with tapas and wine. Seems like Spaniards wake up late having a churros con chocolate snack and later take a siesta and then sit around late in the evening at some outdoor tapa bar. But don't pass up those Moorish cathedrals and fortresses.
Old Jan 22nd, 2015, 12:45 PM

...and as you know the flamenco dancing is very sensuous.
Old Jan 22nd, 2015, 01:05 PM

Haven't seen the Bourdain one, but there is one called "On the Road Again" with Mario Batali, Gwenyth Paltrow, and Mark Bittman from the NYT which you might enjoy - cooking and touring all over Spain. From Netflix. Flamenco in caves is usually very touristy. According to Kimhe, the flamenco maven here, La Casa de la Memoria in Seville is the very best place to see it.
Old Jan 22nd, 2015, 01:37 PM
Original Poster

Well the whole trip is not to recharge batteries but ill take any chance I have in between all the running around and rushing for some relaxing time lol. Yes we will also have to work on the 6hr difference to catch up with all those party Spaniards...Tapas, Wine & a little Dancing is definitely a must of course. Too bad we won't make it to Rioja��. Seeing all the Gothic architecture is one of my to dos. After a few glasses of vino I won't be surprised If I end up doing some Flamenco myself lol

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -