Search

Number Sixteen Hotel, London: Rave Review

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15th, 2003, 04:58 PM
SRS
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Number Sixteen Hotel, London: Rave Review

My husband and I stayed at Number Sixteen in South Kensington (www.firmdale.com) 28 August through 1 September 2003 and could not have been happier with our choice!

The entire stay was absolutely perfect! We arrived around noon, found that our room was ready for us and as an added bonus found out that the hotel had upgraded us! When we stepped into our room, we could not believe our good fortune. The room (which was a good size, but that would be due to the upgrade, of course) had a view to the garden behind the hotel, along with a private patio with a table and chairs where we could have eaten breakfast.

Everything about our room was like a dream - it was decorated in what they call Modern English style, there were luxurious sheets, towels thicker than home (and I have pretty good towels), excellent water pressure, big bathtub and great toiletries. All the little details which we hadn't expected were in this room - heated floor in the bathroom, an umbrella to borrow, a full size hair dryer, complimentary spring water each night at turn down. Additionally, the hotel had recently put a/c into our rooms and I think their plan is to put a/c into all of the rooms. Continental breakfast was included with the price of the room - it was delicious and got us off to a good start.

Basically, the hotel exceeded our expectations in every manner. We booked at Number Sixteen thinking that it would be a pretty good hotel in a good neighborhood with good tube connections (South Kensington tube is about 4 blocks away), but we certainly didn't expect luxury and we definitely even expect it to be as nice as it was. Although I think that part of our experience was due to our upgrade, I'd like to think we would have had the same sheets, towels and toiletries in any room.

Anyway, it was a great trip and a great hotel - thank you to all of you who encouraged us to stay there!!
Old Sep 16th, 2003, 07:06 AM

may I suggest that you cut and paste this review into the Rants and Raves comments elsewhere here at Fodors.com?
Just click at the top of this screen on Hotels. You'll be making sure this great review shows up in all the right places. Tripadvisor.com is another great website with customer reviews.
Old Sep 16th, 2003, 07:12 AM

You neglected to mention what the room rate was. I think a lot of readers like to know that info as well as what the room was like. I'm glad you had a good room, sometimes that can really "make" a trip - I know it shouldn't, but who among use does not like a little luxury?
Old Sep 16th, 2003, 07:14 AM
SRS
Original Poster

Thanks Elaine! I don't know why I didn't think of posting it on the rants and raves, but it's there now.
Old Sep 16th, 2003, 07:17 AM
SRS
Original Poster

Lori, Oops, I didn't mean to forget that! The price was 125 pounds. So with VAT and after converting into dollars, it was about $235 a night.
Old Sep 16th, 2003, 07:44 AM

SRS, I know hotel prices in London are high, but for $235 I would certainly EXPECT luxury. Last year we stayed at the 4* Rubens Hotel across from the Royal Mews. The room was air conditioned and also had many nice (free) amenities. However, instead of $235 per night we paid 99 pounds including VAT and a full English breakfast or about $145 thru londontown.com.
Old Sep 16th, 2003, 08:31 AM

I can't speak to the Ruben, but I have long been interested in Number Sixteen. Years ago I stayed across the street. I loved the South Kensington neighborhood (still do) and Number Sixteen has had a reputation as a luxury "inn" kind of place, more than a B&B, but not a run-of-the mill hotel.

Someone will always have gotten a better deal, at least perhaps a better deal on air fare, hotel, upgrades, etc.
I'm pleased to hear that your experience was so enjoyable.