Number 11 the Artist's house ?Bruges

Old May 23rd, 2003, 06:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Number 11 the Artist's house ?Bruges

Hi Fodorites,
Can anyone tell me about the Artist's house -Number 11? I found something about it a while back on this site, but now can't seem to find anything at all on this site! I've done the search and nothing comes up. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.:-\
My husband and I are going to be in Bruges in July and have quotes from Number 11 ($115E/n-for room no. 1-the vanilla room?Has anyone stayed in this room?) and Hotel Egmond (120E/n).
Which should I choose? Are they both close to the "centre" and to the attractions? What about noise levels? What are the pros and cons of these two hotels?
Thanks for your help!
Old May 23rd, 2003, 07:43 AM
Original Poster

ttt.
Anybbody???
Old May 27th, 2003, 06:21 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Old May 27th, 2003, 07:46 AM

I suggest you go with the Number 11. It's very charming, very personal, and in a quiet yet central area (no canal boats buzzing past your room all day). The central part of Brugge is very compact; you can walk from the hotel to the Burg or the Grote Markt in about 10 minutes, depending on the route (and the crowds--plan on more time for EVERYTHING if your visit is on a week-end). Number 11 is also very close to the RockFort cafe, currently the hot dining spot in Brugge. If you want to go to a nontouristy cafe nearby, stop in at Cafe 't Stokerhuis on Langestraat 7 (a few doors up from RockFort). It's small and fairly dark but the owner is an extremely nice long time resident (he considers himself a Brugge native but was born in Blankenberge, to his dismay) and has great taste in music. He also has a very amusing cat.
If you stop in the Delvaux store on the Markt and love the merchandise but can't take the prices, check out Secondo, a second hand store behind the Crowne Plaza hotel. They sell nearly new Delvaux leather goods in excellent, usually perfect, condition for about 25 percent of the cost new bags, etc.
BTilke (Brussels)
Old May 27th, 2003, 12:45 PM

I stayed in the vanilla room just 2 weeks ago, and I can't say enough about what a great experience it was!

Annie is so charming and gracious, and Bruges is a picturebook experience. Definitely have Annie make a reservation at RockFort Restaurant; the food and service are wonderful. I wish we could have stayed another day.