Search this Thread

Old Nov 5th, 2005, 07:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Now the NY Times weighs in on limoncello, with recipe

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/11/06/magazine/06food.html
Old Nov 5th, 2005, 07:09 PM

My DH just came home with a bottle as a surprise. I first learned about Limoncello on Fodors, but only recently enjoyed it at a cooking class with my husband. Then again at the NJ/NY GTG - now the bottle awaits Thanksgiving where it will be used in a recipe as well as an after dinner delight.
Old Nov 5th, 2005, 07:19 PM
Original Poster

see also
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34699218
Old Nov 5th, 2005, 07:39 PM

I have copied the recipe for future use. It doesn’t seem too hard to make. It uses a small amount of sugar, which is even better.

I’m also going to give that chicken with coke and lemon recipe. I never heard of anything like that but I bet it tastes really good.

Thanks.
Old Nov 5th, 2005, 11:00 PM

Thr secret of good Limoncello is (a) the lemons must be from the Capri and Sorrento area and (b) the alcohol must be 100% proof. The best limoncello is "Limoncello di Capri" from Capri. It must be served ice cold from the freezer with the alcohol making sure the bottle won't break in the freezer.
Old Nov 6th, 2005, 08:01 AM
ira

Although I agree that the secret to limoncello is the lemons, I fera I must take issue with

>...It must be served ice cold from the freezer <

I find that the very low temperature hides the taste of poorly made limoncello that might be made with synthetic flavors.

I much prefer it from the refrigerator.

Old Nov 6th, 2005, 08:05 AM
Original Poster

yes ira I agree.
Even the best ice cream improves in flavor if it sits out for a few minutes. Unlike pure vodka which is good from the freezer, limoncello has flavor to savor.
Old Nov 6th, 2005, 08:43 AM

Thanks Elaine, we are waiting for our first batch to finish (recipe from Brandi - branball77). I believe we will try several different recipes to find which we prefer.
Old Nov 6th, 2005, 02:56 PM

Every friend that I have in Italy keeps their Limoncello in the freezer. But since they have the Limoncello from the Amalfi Coast maybe that makes a difference? I agree with DownUnder. It is not possible IMO to make Limoncello unless one has the proper ingredients. At least in my area it is possible to buy the Italian Limoncello..but imagine it is fun to make it yourself also. CinCin!!
Old Nov 6th, 2005, 05:31 PM

Hello...

my name is Melodie and I'm a Limoncello Addict.

Well, not yet, but I COULD become one,because I have THREE bottles of it from our Italy trip.

Before I head off to the Betty Ford Center, let me explain:

We were in Southern Italy (Capri to be exact) and of course, we found more limoncello than you could shake a stick at! My friend Rose (of Italian descent) makes her own, so I was to pick up a bottle so we could do a taste test....her's vs. the "real thing".

While there, we found a "cream" version..well this was an unexpected find! But we were tired and never made it back to the Cream version shop (like we could find it), so we got the one bottle of the "regular".

Fast forward...we're in Amalfi, and not only do we see the cream version, but both have "Melodie di Amalfi" on them! Trust me, I do not see my name on alot of things, so of COURSE I had to buy both bottles!

A blind tasting is coming (I will blindfold Rose) stay tuned!

Melodie
(now known as Melodie di Amalfi)
Old Nov 6th, 2005, 08:46 PM

The New York Times also had an article on blood oranges from Sicily, and included a recipe for a blood orange liqueur. That sounded very tempting also.

When I came back from Spain, I bought some licora de crema in both orange and lemon flavors at the airport. This was the Teichenne brand. I wonder if this is fairly similar (the lemon anyway) to limoncello. Both are really good, particularly considering each was only 8 Euros per bottle.