Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Now really, do the canals in Venice really stink?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20th, 1999, 06:50 PM
Stephen

Hi, I have heard this and I'm sure you have too. Do they?

Old Mar 20th, 1999, 07:22 PM
Rod Hoots

During July and August there will be days when there is a smell in places where the current is stagnant. It isn't overwhelming but can be unpleasant. In any event Venice is quite hot and humid during those months and I advise people to visit, if possible, in the spring and fall. <BR>

Old Mar 20th, 1999, 08:41 PM
Dayle

There were no smells, trash or crowds when I was there in March.

Old Mar 21st, 1999, 01:12 AM
Danny B.

<BR>Been to Venice six times now ranging from 1978 to just this Fall. Stayed for a week or more each time. I have *never* smelled the canals and I have a sensative nose to smells too.

Old Mar 21st, 1999, 01:58 AM
Maira

I was there in May. Never smelled any unpleasant odors from the canals, and I was forewarned about it. Not a second of it.

Old Mar 21st, 1999, 04:27 AM
Marty

I was in Venice last June. I had only one experience with a smelly canal. We had read so much about a restaurant called the All 'Antica Mola in the Jewish Ghetto. We hunted it down, but were disappointed to find that the canal in front of it smelled so bad that we couldn't eat there. A few days later we passed it again (but not at mealtime), and the smell was gone. So, I guess sometimes they do smell, but not ALL the time. The beauty of Venice far outweighs any smell, and I am very odor sensitive!

Old Mar 21st, 1999, 06:36 AM
Monica

Stephen, <BR> <BR>I was in Venice last May and did not experience any smelly canals, with the exception of one: Workers had blocked off a small portion of a very small canal to fix the brige. Because water had been drained, that portion smelled a little. <BR> <BR>Venice is a lovely place. You'll enjoy it very much!

Old Mar 21st, 1999, 05:40 PM
Cheryl Z

<BR>Stephen, we were there in July two years ago, and I honestly don't recall any smell or stench of any kind. It was hot and humid though, and fairly crowded. We just stayed one night, and possibly it was the right night, but there was no problem for us.

Old Mar 22nd, 1999, 06:45 AM
Lori

We were in Venice in April. Canals ranged from unbearably smelly, to only slightly so. But I thought it smelled bad anytime one was near the water, which is pretty much everywhere in Venice.

Old Mar 22nd, 1999, 09:13 AM
JC

I have been to Venice twice, both during autumn. My wife and I are very sensitive to odors, and although we too had heard about the canals being smelly, we absolutely did not encounter any smell in any canal (and we covered a lot of the city by foot!). Also, we experienced 'acqua alta' and had to walk through streets which were flood with about a foot of canal water. Even then, we noticed no odor of any kind, even on our soggy shoes.

Old Mar 22nd, 1999, 03:38 PM
Rich Gunzy

We just returned from Venice and did "not" experience any smelly parts of the city. We stayed on the island of Lido and used the water busses considerably. Traveled the Grand Canal and smaller 'streets', both by boat and by foot. "We are going to do this again." <BR>Hope this helps.

Old Mar 23rd, 1999, 02:40 PM
Donatello

We were in Venice for five days last October and, except for a couple of canals that were drained for repairs, the only thing I smelled were my armpits.

Old Mar 25th, 1999, 12:26 AM
Denise

Having been in Venice last October , I agree with the last poster, (including the armpits).

Old Mar 25th, 1999, 12:27 AM
Denise

Having been in Venice last October , I agree with the last poster's comments about the canals and his armpits.

Old Mar 26th, 1999, 12:12 AM
Luke

i think lori above is a loonie tune. never have i smelled any bad smells from canals in many years of trips to venice. dog poop on the sidewalks yes at times but the canals plain old do NOT SMELL <BR>

Old Mar 26th, 1999, 04:44 AM
lennie

I have been there in May, and out of the whole city of canals, only one was smelly. I thought the water looked foul in all the canals. If you dared plunge your hand in up to the wrist, you would'nt see as far as your fingers. I'd hate to fall into one. If I did, I'd insist on the hospital to get every vaccine known to mankind. I think if the water were stagnant it would smell very bad very fast. <BR>

Old Mar 26th, 1999, 03:08 PM
Steve

Stephen, <BR>Monica is right. I was in Venice at the end of last summer. It was 96 degrees F. The only canals I smelled were where workmen had bulkheaded off the flow for repairs and the water in between the bulkheads became stagnant. Enjoy your trip. Venice is absolutely a must see.

Old Mar 26th, 1999, 08:43 PM
Dayle

On stinking: I live near the Newport Beach "Back Bay" and in the summer when the tide is out -- it stinks. Rotting vegetation. It's a protected nature preserve on a migratory route. I'm no marine biologist, but it seems logical that when the tide is out (or a canal is being dredged) the "stuff" and little critters on the bottom might smell. Again, I have a good nose and encountered no smells in March.

Old Mar 30th, 1999, 12:08 AM
Tia

I have never been to Venice yet, but I have 2 friend who have....One went in July and said the canals did smell, the other went in October and said it didn't. <BR>