Reload this Page >

Now OUR long anticipated trip to Europe is in jeopardy

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5th, 2001, 06:02 AM
Lisa

We may have to cancel our much anticipated Med. cruise and trip in Europe if my son's medical condition does not make a dramatic improvement. We leave 2 weeks from tomorrow <BR>(He had a flare of a chronic condition he has and now has a allergic reaction to the medication he is on for that condition). <BR> <BR>We have cancellation insurance on the cruise part. Air is mostly ff miles. My question is this, We still have to book our Europe rail flexi passes. We leave in 2 weeks from tomorrow. How late can I leave booking these passes before leaving? <BR> <BR>What other insurance should I be looking at? I know I have to check with BC/BS about procedures for expenses incurred overseas. We have Personal Choice. Anyone have any experiences like this? <BR> <BR>And hold thumbs for us that he gets over this quickly and that I don't have to send my Fodor's pin to Art (or is it Al who never received his pin). <BR> <BR>I did joke with my sweet, good natured son who never complains no matter how sick he feels, while he was in the hospital that he had better get better soon or he would be dragging his IV machine around the desert on a camel. (You have to laugh through the tears). <BR> <BR>We have canceled trips to Tuscany and Mexico in the past when he has gotten sick so if we have to cancel, so be it. The pyramids have been there for 5000 years, another year won't matter. (You can tell I am trying to psyche myself up for that possibility.) <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Jun 5th, 2001, 06:08 AM
Laura

Hi Lisa, <BR>I don't have the answer you need, but I want to say I'm pulling for you and your family. I hope your son feels better soon and I think you are a great mom for trying to show him the world.

Old Jun 5th, 2001, 08:18 AM
Art

Hi Lisa, hope that your son recovers enough for you all to be able to take your trip. <BR>Cheers <BR>Art <BR>

Old Jun 5th, 2001, 09:33 AM
Christina

As far as I know, you don't have to buy your Eurail passes ahead of time at all, just whatever time it takes to get them delivered to you (or in person if you happen to live in a city with a travel agent that has them). I wouldn't buy them until a few days before leaving; Raileurope will deliver thru an overnight delivery service if you pay the fee.

Old Jun 5th, 2001, 09:36 AM
Christina

BTW BCBS is not a national product, it is an association but each state's BCBS assn is independent and has their own rules, programs, policies, etc., so you have to ask your own policyholder about their rules.

Old Jun 5th, 2001, 09:37 AM
Thyra

Hi Lisa, <BR> <BR>I found the following on the official Eurail website, so I guess you could wait to purchase your Eurail Pass until you actually GET to Europe: <BR> <BR> <BR>"When not in a position to buy a Select pass prior to your departure for Europe buy your pass at a Eurail Aid Office in one of the 17 member countries. <BR>Do realize, however, that the price is 10 % higher than at the regular sales outlets outside Europe. " <BR> <BR>Plus I did a search and found that many vendors of Eurail passes offer insurance, one website I checked had you pay an additional $10.00 USD for insurance in the event of a cancellation etc, but you will need to check with an authorised Eurail pass distributor or travel agent... <BR> <BR>In the meantime... we are all sending you positive energy and good thoughts... I hope your son gets well soon. <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Jun 5th, 2001, 12:13 PM
nancy

Oh Lisa! <BR>I am so sorry to hear about your son! <BR>We each are dealing with things, but it would be like comparing apples to oranges!! <BR>I am continually grateful for what we sometimes take for granted, <BR>"Good health" <BR>I hope your son responds favorably soon, (hopefully in time for your trip, but if not... there will be a next time) <BR>I am thinking of you and your family. <BR>

Old Jun 5th, 2001, 12:49 PM
Gerry K

You're a great mom, Lisa. <BR> <BR>And you're right, it'll be <BR>there next year just the same. <BR> <BR>Best of Luck & health to your son. <BR> <BR>Gerry K

Old Jun 5th, 2001, 02:44 PM
a regular

Lisa, your family will be in my prayers.

Old Jun 5th, 2001, 03:24 PM
Lisa

Thanks for all the good wishes. Keep us in your thoughts. <BR> <BR>Christina and Thyra, thanks for the information on the trains. I will wait a few more days before I book. I find the train information so confusing. I still don't know where is the best site to purchase the tickets. The insurance definitely is worth it. Thanks for looking up the sites for me. And thanks also for the positive energy and good thoughts. <BR> <BR>Art, Laura, Gerry, Nancy, Good boy ( is that who I think it is?) your good thoughts really go a long way to lifting the spirits. <BR> <BR>Actually I tell my kids all the time how lucky they are to do all the traveling, but the truth of the matter is that we are really lucky too. They are great travelers(and good kids) and very interested in sightseeing. It must be all those 18 hour flights they did as infants and toddlers. <BR>Keep those good thoughts and positive energy coming. <BR> <BR>While composing this answer, I just took a call from his doctor and he is hoping that we will still be able to go armed with a supply of prescription medications. Just hope that I don't run into any trouble with all these medicines in Turkey! Do you think they'll have computers in a Turkish prison (and I don't mean the Four Seasons in Istanbul) so I can access the Fodors website? <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Jun 5th, 2001, 03:32 PM
Ivan

<BR>Isnt it time that all you well meaning numb-nuts realized that this is a troll? <BR> <BR>Ivan (Petrograd)

Old Jun 5th, 2001, 04:57 PM
nancy

A Big Bronx Cheer for you , Ivan! <BR>Lisa does not troll.

Old Jun 5th, 2001, 05:13 PM
Rex

I hope this all works out for the best, Lisa. <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex <BR>

Old Jun 5th, 2001, 07:43 PM
Lisa

Thanks again for the support. And we can just ignore the vermin that always seem to come crawling out of the woodwork.

Old Jun 5th, 2001, 07:55 PM
Susan

Lisa: Hope you can go! Keep in mind that you need to have any prescriptions in the bottle they came in with the sticker on front showing the prescription. If it were me, I would also get a letter from the doctor, on his letterhead, certifying that these were necessary medications for your son's condition. Never hurts to be prepared! Good luck! <BR>

Old Jun 5th, 2001, 08:18 PM
Alice

<BR> <BR>Lisa, I am unfamiliar with obtaining or using rail passes. But, the first thing I thought of after reading your request was Rick Steves. His office is in Seattle and does have these kinds of passes available. It might not be a bad idea to call their office and explain your situation to them and see if they can work with you (phone 425-771-8303 fax 425-771-0833). <BR>Well, I for one think that you and your son could provide us with a lot of tips on traveling with wheelchair and drip IV! Certainly don't think THAT topic has been covered (or did I miss it?). <BR> <BR>My best to your son and you and your family and hope he will soon be dabbling in the Mediterranean and exploring all its wonders. <BR> <BR>With Warmest Regards, Alice

Old Jun 7th, 2001, 02:53 AM
LIsa

Thanks also to Susan, Alice and Rex. BTW, Alice, your trip notes on Egypt are wonderful and I admire how you have sent so may reports out. <BR> <BR>Susan, that is a good idea about the letter for the medications. <BR> <BR>Rex, thanks also for the kind words. <BR> <BR>Nancy, maybe we'll see you in Herculaneum or Pompeii. We'll be the ones dragging the IV machine around. God forbid! <BR> <BR>Things seem to be looking up. He is feeling a lot better. Allergic reaction getting under control and now I have to figure out these railway tickets. <BR> <BR>Thanks everybody.

Old Jun 7th, 2001, 04:48 AM
Stuart

From way down here in Aussie land from a Kiwi,I hope everything works out.Life is always surprising.

Old Jun 7th, 2001, 09:26 AM
joy

I would have believed this story if you hadn't joked about your Fodors pin. <BR>After all, WHO would give away their much sought after pin for anything!!