I am in the very early stages of planning a trip to Italy either next year or the year after in the peak season of summer to accommodate school schedules. We will be two adults and a teenager. We are thinking of 14 touring days and want to cover a huge area. I need help narrowing it down and having it make sense without exhausting ourselves in the process.This will be the first trip to Italy for all of us.
Idea is to fly into Venice and out of Rome. We want to cover Venice-Florence-Tuscany-Amalfi Coast-Rome-in that 14 day time frame. Is it too much to cover? Is it doable?
I know this question has been asked so many times but how many days is good for Venice?
Venice 2 or 3 nights?
Florence 2 nights
Tuscany--Siena? 2 nights
either train from Florence to Sorrento or Salerno or drive from Siena to Sorrento or Salerno--what do you recommend?
Sorrento or Salerno as base for Amalfi--3 or 4 nights?
Rome 4 or 5 nights--which do you recommend for a first time visit?
In Tuscany--would like to visit Lucca, Pisa, San Gimignano, Siena, Montepucliano. Can Lucca and Pisa both be done in one day? Should we skip one of these? Which one?
In Amalfi--want to visit Pompeii and Herculeneum, Ravello and Positano, maybe boat to Capri? Paestum? how many nights needed? Where is the better base?
I heard many negative reports about Venice--smells of the canal in summer, expensive, crowds, pigeons etc. However, the architecture looks stunning.
I appreciate your feedback as I go through this process
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 YAHOO 1~888~260:2909 Password Reset Contact YAHOO Tec*h care
- 2 Santa Maria Novella products??
- 3 Lisbon stay - Olissippo Lapa Palace vs NH Collection Lisboa Liberdade
- 4 Mid-May stay in Lauterbrunnen or Murren
- 5 Help with Country House Hotel Christmas 2018
- 6 Airport Transfer
- 7 2 week May trip with kids
- 8 Paris November 2017
- 9 15 days honeymoon trip to Europe in February end and March
- 10 Cotswold - great food & ambience for lunch!
- 11 Moscow Hotels
- 12 9 day trip to France
- 13 First time italy, 12 nights. What to do
- 14 Again, onboard robbery attempts on trains leaving Milano Centrale station
- 15 New Years in France
- 16 Barcelona tour option help please
- 17 Help me get excited about a week in Portugal
- 18 Easter Week in Italy
- 19 Looking for Paris Rental Apt.
- 20 1st Birthday Party in Italy questions
- 21 Order of Amalfi visit in October
- 22 10 Days in May: Switzerland Itinerary Help
- 23 Planning a Trip from DC to Anywhere in Europe (Budget Friendly)
- 24 5 nights in Spain, need help!
- 25 Drive from Paris to Mont St Michael