Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   November trip (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/november-trip-626884/)

firenz Jun 27th, 2006 01:59 PM

November trip

We are considering as trip to Rome and Venice from Nov. 3 - Nov. 15. What do you think about going at that time of year? Too cold? Not enough sites open?
If we want to stay near the Pantheon, what hotel would you recommend...something in the 4-5 star category.
Also..any suggestions for the breakdown of days in each place would be helful. We definitely want to go to Pompei. We're lukewarm on going back to Florence. Any suggestion for a third stop? The other choice might be to do Rome, Pompeii, and the south of Italy.
After checking out this forum before our trip to Asia, I won't go anywhere without checking in here first!
Thanks for your help.

tcreath Jun 27th, 2006 02:01 PM

I haven't been to Rome in November, but I have been there in December and it was wonderful. The weather was very temperate, especially when compared to the midwest weather during that time of year. Fewer lines, cheaper prices, less crowds. I always go to Rome during off season and have never had a complaint in regards to the weather or closing times.

Tracy

DeborahAnn Jun 27th, 2006 02:12 PM

firenz, my husband and I were in Sorrento, Naples, Pompeii and Rome last November, 1-13. With the exception of one incredible downpour our first night in Rome, we had perfect weather, mild and sunny. We spent 4 nights in Sorrento and 8 nights in Rome. In retrospect, we enjoyed the Sorrento area so much I think I would have liked to spend more of our days there.

Everything we wanted to do was open. Pompeii was still crowded but manageable. We spent very little time by the water on the Amalfi Coast where there might have been more seasonal closings.

If you have any other questions I will be happy to help, Deborah

L84SKY Jun 27th, 2006 02:14 PM

We went to Italy in Nov. The weather was okay, all of our pics have gray skies but that doesn't bother me. There were few crowds. It rained a little but not enough to slow us down.
We stopped for a night in Assisi and it was lovely.

nessundorma Jun 27th, 2006 02:16 PM

To my way of thinking it's a great time to go to both Venice and Rome, and all the sites will be open. Venice will be MUCH less crowded, and Rome will most likely be pleasantly cool, not cold. It is risky to go south of Napoli if by that you mean the Amalfi. Rainy weather could spoil that trip, although it won't spoil a trip to Venice or Rome.

You are likely to experience some rain in November during your 13 days there. So you need to come prepared with good waterproof shoes and rain protection and, if it were me, I'd budget for taxis in Rome just as an insurance policy against getting wet and irritable if it pours. Roma does not have a good public transportation system, and its streets are not enjoyable to walk in wet weather.

I would stick to two destinations, with at least 4 nights in Venice (with a day trip to Torcello) and almost the entire remainder of your time in Roma, with a day trip to Orvieto. I would suggest that if you definitely want to go to Pompeii that you overnight there or in Napoli.

The food in Roma (and Orvieto) will be fantastic in November.

The Albergo del Senato, next door to the Pantheon, is a fantastic hotel. Worthy of an extra star.

You might consider:

5 nights Venezia
6 nights Roma (rent an apartment?)
2 Napoli (fly out of Napoli)

If you end up preferring more time in Venezia, you won't run out of things to do. Even if you do, you can easily visit Padova, with its great Scrovegni chapel, or Verona, with its fabulous sites, for a day.

firenz Jul 9th, 2006 04:45 PM

Thank you to all who answered. You have convinced men that November is a fine choice for travel to Italy. I went to Paris in April and had a great time..absolutley no crowds...it was heaven.
I have never flown on Alitalia. What do you think? Any suggestions for reasonable fares? Any particular site to visit?
Thanks, again.

tuscanlifeedit Jul 9th, 2006 05:14 PM

Firenz: Alitalia from where to where?