Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   November in Southern Spain (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/november-in-southern-spain-379874/)

newyorkais35 Jun 16th, 2008 09:55 AM

November in Southern Spain

Hello everyone.

I am interested in planning a trip to southern Spain during the month of November. I'd be using my frequent flyer miles and am considering visiting Malaga, Cadiz, Valencia, etc...I'd prefer some fairly decent warm weather if possible that's why I thought to visit this part of Spain at the time. I've already visited Madrid, Barcelona, Seville, Cordoba and San Sebastian in the past. Due to the weakness of the US dollar, I am trying to keep the cost of this trip as inexpensive as possible. Any thoughts about weather, cities, accomodations, etc...would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Ross

newyorkais35 Jun 19th, 2008 11:50 AM

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Ross

annhig Jun 19th, 2008 02:12 PM

Hi Ross,

a couple of years ago we went to Malaga and granada for a few days in november. the shops in granada were full of winter furs, but we were happy during the day in t-shirts [we ARE british so have low standards where weather is concerned].

it rained one night in Granada but that was the only bad weather we had. the last day we ate lunch at a beach cafe in the sunshine.

in granada we stayed at the hotel guadelupe right opposite the alhambra. we had a big double room with a full bathroom for E60 per night. Maribel has some other mostly more expensive suggestions [www.maribelsguides.com].

you should have a great time, so long as you're not expecting a heat-wave.

regards, ann

eliza3 Jun 20th, 2008 09:16 AM

Southern Spain will be warmer than the rest of Europe at that time of the year. We now live not too far from Malaga and spent several weeks Xmas 06 in Seville. Most evenings we ate outside without being heavy coats on etc. It was quite mild during the day so November would be milder still.

You donīt mention Granada but we stayed in the Albyzin area which is lovely - we stayed in an apartment so have no hotel recommendations. If you plan to go to the Alhambra book tickets in advance over the internet and still get there 30 mins before the collection time as you still have to queue to collect.

I have not been to Cadiz or Valencia and not stayed in Malaga given we live near it. Ronda is lovely as is Grazalema not too far from it,although the latter is smaller. Jerez is lovely - we spent several days there recently.

It is a lovely time of the year in Spain. And aside from fuel prices, you can eat and drink very cheaply here - we usually have the house red wine in a restaurant for around 7 euros a bottle. Pork and chicken are cheap, veal and beef expensive by comparison. Menu del dia is a great buy Mon- Friday where you will get 3 courses and wine for between 7 and 9 euros per person.

If you have already been probably not necessary - but southern spain is huge by european standards and people often under estimate the drivng times or think they can see a lot more than is easy to do in a short space of time.

Finally - and may not be an issue for you - but the new terminal at Malaga airport is finally open, which handles all non EU flights so the options in and out of Malaga are likely better than other cities.

WTnow Jun 20th, 2008 10:45 AM

We have spent the last two winters in southern Spain near Malaga. The first November it was HOT...roasting hot, too hot for t-shirts kind of weather.

The second year it was a little cooler but mostly very sunny. Different areas of Andaucia get MUCH more rain fall so check that out if you want to aid your chances in skipping rain. We winter in a micro climate that tends to get little rain.

Cadis area is lovely, but a good distance from Malaga. If you could stay for a longer time, you could get a monthly rental easily and they are quite cheap and very available.

You would pay less for a month in November than you would for a week in high season ( when it is hot as hell). Go figure.