Search

November in France

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6th, 2016, 06:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
November in France

I'd love some advice.
I have spent a few summers in France, my husband has not. He is joining me on his first trip to France in November. We will be in Paris for 4 nights for a working holiday, then have 6 nights to spare before returning home. I adore the South of France. I have been to Antibes, St Tropez, Aix, Avignon, Marseille and Gordes. I loved them all. Always gravitate onwards the Old town in each place. I'm struggling to decide whether I should should try a new region, or stick with the areas I know I love. We don't really rush off to see monuments, but prefer to take in the history, culture and sights. I know November is not the best time to travel to France, but would like to make the most of a wonderful opportunity. I was thinking about Loire or Normandy region if we don't return to Provence. Weather-wise, which would be the best region to visit in November?
Ps. When I have travelled to Provence previously, I have not rented a car, we will rent one on this trip.
Old Sep 6th, 2016, 07:27 AM

Loire or Normandy - doesn't make any difference weather-wise. Both have lots to see and do. If you rent a car, you could spend 3 nights in Normandy and 3 in the Loire.
We visited both areas late October 2 years ago, and the weather was great. Warm enough to have lunch outside some days. Amboise is a nice base for the Loire.
Old Sep 6th, 2016, 07:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Tulips. I will look at Amboise.
Old Sep 6th, 2016, 07:54 AM

November in Loire and Normandy will have bad weather, possibily even miserable weather. You may ahve good weather but it is a real bet.

In the south you'll most probably have good weather.
Meaning T-shirts from 10 am to 4 pm, light vest before and after. Usually no rain - but it can pour down too.

My experience is mostly good to very good weather, sometimes 1-2 days of bad weather, very unusual : stormy weather.
But when the weather is bad in the south it is usually horrible in the north.

look at averages sun / rain / temp on wikipedia :
Caen gives and average low temp of 5C and average high of 11C
Orléans gives an average low temp of 4C and average high of 10C
Nice gives an average low temp of 9C and average high of 16C

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caen
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orl%C3%A9ans
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nice
Old Sep 6th, 2016, 08:04 AM

Why not split the difference and visit the Dordogne? I wouldn't head to the Côte d'Azur in November, because the coastline tends to shut down and your options for dining and outdoor activities are limited. Inland Provence is OK, but certainly lacking the things Provence is most famous for.

Normandy and the Loire can be OK in November, but can also be miserable because of bad weather. Plus, they just look so bleak, in general.

The Dordogne isn't brilliant in November, either, but it has better weather than Normandy and the Loire, and even though some things shut down (frankly, the things you probably don't want to do, anyway, like visit tacky tourist shops), all the main sites (and there are many, many of them!) are open all year. So you can have your fill of uncrowded museums and prehistoric sites, winter concerts and plays, and beautiful villages. Not to mention good food.
Old Sep 6th, 2016, 08:31 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Whathello. I worried Loire and Normandy would not have great weather.

Thanks StCirq. Could you please recommend a town to use as a base in the Dordogne. I'm completely unfamiliar with the region.
Old Sep 6th, 2016, 08:48 AM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
I'd be inclined to stay right in Paris and take day trips on days the weather is good. I doubt very many visitors have run out of things to see in Paris and there are any number of fascinating places to visit within an hour's train ride. Get yourself a Navigo pass and transportation to many will be included.

You might vary the experience by scoping out other parts of the city and changing accommodations to one you find while you're there. There's nothing like seeing a place in person to know for sure if it's one you'll enjoy and just moving across town is like being in a different city with only a short taxi ride to get there.
Old Sep 6th, 2016, 08:52 AM

Another option is Nice as a base, it will be delightfully quiet in November and because it's a large city, very little is closed apart from some of the restaurants roght on the beach.

Great small museums, interesting old town and market plus easy access to Antibes, Cannes, Monte Carlo, Eze, etc. I'd rent a car for a couple of days to see Grasse, St. Paul de Vence, Vence although those villages and towns as well as the coast towns are easily reached by very reasonable trains and buses.
Old Sep 6th, 2016, 09:35 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I always recommend northern and eastern France as the year comes to an end. The weather is generally not terrible yet and cities like Lille, Metz, Nancy, Strasbourg, etc. have so much to offer. There are lots of festivals and events to compensate for the imminent arrival of winter.

I find the south of France sort of boring at the end of the year because a lot of the ambience is fuelled by tourism, and there are just too many things closed for my taste, except in the big cities like Marseille or Nice.
Old Sep 6th, 2016, 10:17 AM

What about Languedoc? The weather is usually very nice in early November (we have the equivalent of your Indian Summer around November 11). Montpellier, a vibrant university town or Narbonne, well located for visiting the Cathar castles, Perpignan for day trips to the Pyrenees and the coast ..... 11 million people live in Languedoc/midi Pyrenées and Côte d'Azur and the area does not close down in winter!
Old Sep 6th, 2016, 10:32 AM

Sarlat-la-Canéda is the market hub town of the Dordogne region and a good base for exploring the region. It won't be jammed in November the way it is in summer, and it will still have its wonderful Wednesday and Saturday markets. Restaurants and shops will be open (not all of them, but the ones that are closed wouldn't be great choices anyway), and parking won't be the major hassle it is in high season.
Old Sep 6th, 2016, 10:47 AM

In November, I would stick to a city with many indoor attractions, in case the weather doesm't cooperate. Normandy will be very cold.

To quote Audrey Hepburn, Paris is always a good idea or maybe Lyon if you haven't been. Montpellier, Nimes, Arles, Kenton...

The Loire and Normandy are all about enjoying the scenery. Better left for spring or summer.

Or you can embrace the cold and hit the Christmas markets in Strasbourg in late November/early December.
Old Sep 6th, 2016, 10:51 AM

Sorry I meant to say Menton.
Old Sep 6th, 2016, 12:03 PM

Twice now I've spent the first two weeks of November exploring Provence from my base in Lourmarin. I've enjoyed my trips. I like visiting villages and driving the countryside. It's nice that the majority of tourists have left. The weather has been fine (not too hot/cold, little rain) but maybe I've been lucky. I rent a car, which I highly recommend.
Old Sep 7th, 2016, 01:19 AM

I suggest the eastern Cote d'Azur. You could use Menton as a base. Unlike some writers, the outdoor activities are widely opened in view of the mild weather.
Villefranche-sur-Mer, Saint-Jean-Cap-Ferrat (http://www.villa-ephrussi.com/en/home) Eze-Village (https://www.google.fr/search?q=eze-v...pxBoUQ_AUIBygC), Roquebrune-Cap-Martin, Monaco... then the Cote d'Azur countryside : Peille, Peillon, Sainte-Agnès, Saorge, Tende... perhaps with the Train of Wonders (http://www.tendemerveilles.com/train...erveilles.html).
Old Sep 7th, 2016, 01:31 AM

Peuchère, Toulonnais, you forgot to mention Hyères, which was the place the royal (english) family came to.

From there la presqu'île de Giens is superb, or some villages (keep forgetting the names looking at each other above the highway) or further east towards St Trop or inland or or or. or West towards Cassi, Bandol and the calanques.

Thanks for the link for le train des merveilles. I may take it next time I Go to Cuneao, which is a beautiful idea for a day or better 2 days trip.
(I recommend the palazzo Lovera in the center to feel like a priviledge traveler in the early 20th century).
Old Sep 7th, 2016, 01:43 AM

You also might consider Bordeaux. We have a home near there at the beach, and in general, this area has pretty good weather in the late fall. If you go to Bordeaux you can take the tgv and not bother with renting a car since there is a nice tram system and is small enough to walk around most of the core city area.
Old Sep 7th, 2016, 04:01 AM

Hello What ;-)

The Var region is one of the most beautiful area of France, you're right.
Especially Bandol, Sanary-sur-Mer, Le Castellet, Hyères, Porquerolles Island, Bormes-les-Mimosas, etc. And further the Verdon canyon, many hilltop villages (Ramatuelle, Gassin, Grimaud, Seillans, Cotignac...), Port-Grimaud, the vineyards (rosé !), the Corniche de l'Esterel, and so much more...
Old Sep 7th, 2016, 05:06 AM

Rick Steves says Bordeaux must mean boredom in French. I dunno, I've never been, but I usually trust the guy.
Old Sep 7th, 2016, 05:40 AM

Rick Steves said that years ago, long before it was transformed into a UNESCO World Heritage city by Alain Juppé in 2007. Apparently Rick hasn't been back, which is fine with those of use who now extol the virtues of Bordeaux.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -