Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   November Europe itinerary (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/november-europe-itinerary-739018/)

calico1 Sep 26th, 2007 06:10 AM

November Europe itinerary

Hi Fodorites,
Love, love, love this forum. I'm learning so much from you guys.

What do you think of my plan?
Day 1 - Leave US
Days 2,3,4 - London
Day 5 - London to Paris via Eurostar arriving at 2:30 PM
Days 6,7,8 - Paris
Day 9 - Paris to Rome via Easyjet arr. at 9:00 AM
Day 10,11,12,13 - Rome
Day 14 - Back to US

I'll be staying in hostels in London & Paris, then maybe in a convent in Rome.

When in Rome, I'm thinking of a day trip to either Pisa or Pompeii. If that's doable, which one is better?

Is it possible to insert another country (maybe Switzerland)?

Also, since my flight back to US is at 6:35 AM, that means I have to be out by 3:00 AM. So I was thinking of staying in the airport on Day 13 evening. Sounds silly?

Thanks!

TuckH Sep 26th, 2007 06:18 AM

Pisa or Pompeii? No - they're too far.

Switzerland? No - its glory are its mountains and you'd have devote time and effort to reach the scenery. If you did that, it'd be more than just an 'insert'.

Your plan is a good one, so stick with it. Yes, stay at the airport the last night.

ira Sep 26th, 2007 06:23 AM

Hi C,

Good plan.

I would switch the number of days in Paris and Rome (but I like Paris).

Don't add anything.

Are you planning on sleeping in FCO the last night?

((I))

Michel_Paris Sep 26th, 2007 06:26 AM

Looks good. You'll be covering a lot of terrain.

When I look at itineraries, I look at actual time available for seeing the city. For London, half of day 2 will be landing and getting to hostel, plus will be jetlagged. Day 5 will be a half day also. So time in London will be 2 full days, one half day, one jet lagged half day. Not a lot of time, but you can get a feel for the city. Paris...3 full days, one partial day. Rome ~4.5 days.

So you don't have a lot of time in each city, but it's not bad. I might say just do 2 cities...really get to spend time in each and not be running around too much...with some "lounging time", but if you really want to see the three..

In my opinion, when you go to a major city for the first time, and you only have 4/5 days there, I'd not do any side trips.

calico1 Sep 26th, 2007 06:30 AM

Hi ira,

Yes, I'm planning on staying at FCO on the evening prior to my flight back to US.

Thanks!

cheryllj Sep 26th, 2007 07:05 AM

I think that's enough to get a good "taste" of London, Paris, Rome, but there is no way you have time for Switzerland. And I wouldn't advise a trip to Pompeii either.

I'm also with Ira: I would switch a day to Paris from Rome. But I love Paris.

Suspaul Sep 26th, 2007 07:16 AM

Hi calico1 - if you have time my vote would be Pompeii. Pisa is OK but doesn't take much time to visit, besides the Tower and the Duomo just lots of tacky souvenier shops, however Pompeii is incredible. Just my opinion. Have a wonderful trip.
Susan

calico1 Sep 26th, 2007 11:22 AM

Thanks a bunch everyone!