Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

November 11th is a holiday in France, what to expect?

Old Oct 15th, 2002, 07:59 AM
maryann

I know that November 11th is a holiday in France, should I expect a lot of stores or museums to be closed that day?
I was thinking that since we want to go on a day trip to London, maybe that day will be a good day to do it.
what do you think?

Old Oct 15th, 2002, 08:08 AM
anon

You'd better check, it might also be a holiday in London. Remembrance or Armistice day ,commemorating the end of world war 1.

Old Oct 15th, 2002, 08:36 AM
kate

Whilst 11 Nov is Remembrance Day in the UK, it is NOT a public holiday so all sites/shops etc in London will be open as usual.

Old Oct 15th, 2002, 08:38 AM
St Martin

November 11 is not a real holiday in France.

Old Oct 15th, 2002, 10:59 AM
Howard

If it is anything like Liberation Day (May 8), which commemorates the end of WW2 in Europe, you'll not want for things to do. One of the best parts will be the experience of seeing French families at their leisure enjoying the city on a holiday.

Old Oct 19th, 2002, 12:06 PM
Tahl

I did notice just now that the AutoEurope office in central Rouen will be closed on November 11th, so it appears the holiday will have some effect on what's open.

Old Oct 19th, 2002, 01:21 PM
Karen

Hi! I noticed on their website that the Louvre is open on the 11th, but closed on the 1st of Novermber for All Saints day. Musee d'Orsay's website says they are open on both dates.

Old Oct 19th, 2002, 02:16 PM
Christina

That is not a big major holiday, but it is an official national holiday, so I would expect it will affect businesses much more than museums or things like that. By business, I mean banks, dept. stores, etc., not restaurants, cafes, or small shops such as groceries, and certainly not shops that depend on tourist trade a lot. I have not been there on that day, but I have on much bigger holidays and plenty of restaurants and small shops were open.