Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Novels to read in Dordogne (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/novels-to-read-in-dordogne-621342/)

carrom Jun 6th, 2006 10:08 AM

Novels to read in Dordogne

Any suggestions for good fiction about or set in the Dordogne area ?
20 days to go!
Thanks!

Underhill Jun 6th, 2006 10:16 AM

Try Aaron Elkins's "Skeleton Dance."

cigalechanta Jun 6th, 2006 10:21 AM

"Deadly Slipper"- Murder in the Dordogne
by Michelle Wan.It really captures the countryside and woods.

StCirq Jun 6th, 2006 10:53 AM

Michael Crighton's Timeline

Murder in the Dordogne

The Caves of Perigord

grandmere Jun 6th, 2006 11:20 AM

Ann Barry's At Home in France; if not actually set in Dordogne, it's nearby. Whoops, see that you want fiction, and this is non-fiction. Still recommend it! :-)

carrom Jun 6th, 2006 11:24 AM

Thanks everyone - I managed to order deadly slipper, timeline and the caves - the others take too long to ship from USA.
Anyone know of any French novels set in the area?

StCirq Jun 6th, 2006 11:27 AM

carrom:

The bookstores in the Périgord are full of French fiction and non-fiction about the area. I'd just wait until you get there and pick something up.

cigalechanta Jun 7th, 2006 08:15 AM

How could we forget Georges Simenon.
"The Madman of Bergerac."

carrom Jun 7th, 2006 08:28 AM

That sounds like something I could handle in French and buy there. Thanks everybody. The books are on their way!

grandmere Jun 7th, 2006 09:57 AM

"The Orchid Shroud" by Michelle Wan.

I opened my Mystery Lovers Bookstore newsletter last night, and I was so surprised to read about this mystery, taking place in the Dordogne, having just read the post on Fodors yesterday afternoon.

cigalechanta Jun 7th, 2006 09:59 AM

no, that's not the name, it's the one I mentioned abocve "Deadly Slipper."

grandmere Jun 7th, 2006 10:06 AM

"Deadly Slipper" is her first novel; Amazon is selling "Orchid Shroud", her next, mid-July.

cigalechanta Jun 7th, 2006 10:13 AM

Oh, thanks, I will look it up.

cigalechanta Jun 7th, 2006 10:18 AM

Sue, I just read a few reviews. It's a sequel to the Deadly Slipper but they didn't like it as they did the first.

cigalechanta Jun 7th, 2006 10:27 AM

I've been reading alot of Leo Malet who started in the 30s influenced by the Raymond Chandler's he liked. His series of mysteries are based on all the arrondisements in Paris. They are hard to find in English at inexpensive prices so I'm always on the lookout. I want Mayhem in the Marais but not at the prices so far.

annieladd Jun 7th, 2006 05:15 PM

ttt

carrom Jun 8th, 2006 12:07 AM

Has anybody read "Narrow Dog to Carcassone" by Terry Darlington? I think it's set all over France as it's about a couple travelling on a canal boat from Britain. it's supposed to be funny and gives an insight "into the France nobody knows". I am starting it as soon as I finish the new Ian McEwan which isn't funny at all but an interesting read for anyone travelling to london.

annieladd Jun 8th, 2006 05:00 PM

I know you asked for fiction, but I'm reading Eleanor of Aquitane right now, and it is absolutly fascinating. annieladd

moolyn Nov 22nd, 2006 10:59 AM

I missed this thread when it first appeared because we were in the Dordogne at the time. But I read "Deadly Slipper" before we went and was very excited to actually stumble across some wild orchids when we were walking back down from Font de Gaume.

Last week I was fortunate to attend a reading from the sequel by Michelle Wan. I wrote about this experience and posted it at the end of my Dordogne trip report. My report is quite lengthy but you can just go right to the bottom.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34839073

Michael Nov 22nd, 2006 04:03 PM

If you can read French, any novel of Eugène Le Roy will fit the bill. He was born in Hautefort and was one of those 19th century regional writers.