Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Novels based in Prague, Vienna, Salzburg or Budapest

Sep 3rd, 2001, 11:29 AM
Sarah

I'm getting excited about my upcoming trip to the Eastern Europe and was hoping to track down a few good novels based in this region to read before I leave. Anyone have any suggestions on a book or two that might get me even more in the mood for my upcoming adventure? Thanks for any suggestions!

Sep 3rd, 2001, 11:55 AM
Art

The Third man is based in Vienna (both the movie and the book). "Rightous Gentile", a biography of Raul Wallenberg is based in Budapest. Don't know of any offhand for Prague. Of course "The sound of Music" takes place around Salzburg.
Regards,
Art

Sep 3rd, 2001, 11:58 AM
Art

BTW all of those cities are in Central Europe, although Vienna may be considered Western Europe because it is in Austria. If you have the opportunity, go to the Opera in Budapest. The Opera house is beautiful and is is very inexpensive.
Have a great trip. All of those cities are beautiful.
Regards,
Art

Sep 3rd, 2001, 01:18 PM
Sarah

Art, Thanks for the suggestions. Oops on the Eastern vs. Central Europe slip-up. I've been doing some research this morning on an upcoming business trip to the East Coast of the US and I guess I just got caught up on the Eastern thing. Thanks again.

Sep 3rd, 2001, 01:55 PM
BTilke

Prelude to Terror by Helen MacInnes takes place in Vienna (with references to Salzburg) in the late 1970s and combines a Cold War thriller with insights into the Viennese art world. I've read it a couple of times before trips to Vienna and it does a good job of capturing the feel of the city.
BTilke

Sep 3rd, 2001, 02:36 PM
Christina

I have several books about Prague or Czech Republic but they're mainly nonfiction. I know a nice chldren's book by a Czech author/illustrator Peter Sis set in Prague, something about GOlden Keys I believe. I think your best bet for Prague would be to buy "Prague, a Traveler's LIterary Companion", Paul Wilson editor, Whereabouts Press (San Francisco). YOu can get this on Amazon easily in paperback. It's a collection of 24 short stories about Prague written over about the last 50 years. Some are by famous authors (ie, Kafka) and more obscure. It also includes a map and historical chronology of the city.

Sep 3rd, 2001, 04:36 PM
Escritora

I love this question!

The first book that comes to mind starts out in London, proceeds to Vienna and rambles about Europe a bit, but it's such a great novel (and movie) that I hope you'll allow some wiggle room. The full title is The Seven-Per-Cent Solution: Being a Reprint from the Reminiscences of John H. Watson, M.D., and the author is Nicholas Meyer.

This is a great brain teaser. I hope to be back with more!

Sep 3rd, 2001, 04:49 PM
Marc David Miller

Prague: Milan Kundera's "The Unbearable Lightness of Being" (my guide's life story reminded me of the novel--write me if interested in her contact information)

Movies!

Amadeus (for Prague, Vienna, Salzburg)

Vienna-"The Third Man"--there is a wonderful "Third Man" tour that takes you to the sites mentioned in the book/movie
-"The Night Porter"-takes place in 1960's Vienna

Budapest: "Sunshine"

Sep 3rd, 2001, 07:59 PM
Escritora

Have I been having fun with this! Your question sent me on a literary scavenger hunt through all my books. Here's another for you: Ivan Kilma, particularly his novel Love And Garbage (set in Prague). Klima makes you work at your reading, and if you really dislike sarcasm he might not be for you, but he produces beautifully written and thought-provoking works of fiction.

Sep 3rd, 2001, 08:00 PM
Escritora

Sorry--it's Ivan Klima, not Kilma. Boy, I wish Fodor's had a means of allowing you to correct a simple typo. Or for that matter, run a successful simple search...

Sep 3rd, 2001, 08:17 PM
Art

Hi again Sarah. Another book that touches on Vienna, Budapest and Prague is "The Cry and the Covenent" a biographal novel about Ignaziz Semmelweise, a doctor in the early 1800's. There is a Semmelweise Museum in the flat where he was born in Budapest about 3 blocks from the bottom of Castle hill.
Regards,
Art

Sep 4th, 2001, 05:44 PM
Carla

Romantic novelist Eva Ibbotson has written a number of novels set in Vienna, where she grew up, and a book of short stories entitled "A Glove Shop in Vienna."

Sep 4th, 2001, 09:46 PM
Lou

Are you serious? Go read anything by my favorite author, Kafka! I love his work. Unfortunately, there is just not much of it.

Sep 8th, 2001, 06:55 PM
vipsha

The Unbearable Lightness of Being, by Milan Kundera (Czech)
An Equal Music, by Vikram Seth. (set in Vienna).

Sep 8th, 2001, 08:12 PM
Dave

"The Good Soldier Svejk" by Jaroslav Hasek is about a Czech draftee in the Great War, sort of a Bohemian Gomer Pyle, although more cunning than bumbling. He wanders all over Central Europe "attempting" to reach his unit at the front.