Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Nova vs. AutoEurope: Why bother w/ price match?

Jan 18th, 2006, 08:35 PM
Original Poster

Nova offered a much cheaper rate (nearly half) of Auto Europe for our 4 day rental to tour Amalfi. I did go ahead and submit a 'price match guarantee' to AutoEurope but my question is this: Why bother? Is AutoEurope better? Is Nova bad? What's the scoop fodorites??
Jan 18th, 2006, 08:42 PM
rex

Because taxes and insurance are mandatory in Italy, make sure that the quotes are apples vs apples. Quoting a "bare-bones" rate for Italy would be downright deceptive (though I don't know that Nova is doing that, in your case).

The 24 hour telephone service/support from AutoEurope is an attractive plus - - in the event that the price do end up the same. But I have no direct experience with Nova, and others seem to report positive rentals.

Best wishes,

Rex
Jan 18th, 2006, 08:47 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your speedy reply Rex. I did just go back and search the forum to see what people had to say about each of these companies and yes... it is apples & apples... CDW, unlimited mileage, ect. So we'll see if they match and/or beat the price. I'll keep you posted.
Jan 18th, 2006, 09:48 PM

I've used both and both went well. But I also had no problems that required roadside assistance. Both are brokers so my only contact was at the counter of the agencies-like Europcar- themselves.

Do check for dents or dings when you pick up the car and make sure they're noted. Sometimes they can be fussy when you drop off the car. Other times they don't seem to even look.
Jan 19th, 2006, 08:39 AM
ira

Hi K,

They are both good companies.

I have found that AE will give me about 5% better rate than Nova when I query about a price match.

Jan 19th, 2006, 09:09 AM
Original Poster

To answer my own question and keep all interested updated... Autoeurope did come back and match the offer. They did not beat the price, just matched however they did explain to me that they had a $0 deductible if something were to happen where Nova has a deductible of $1200. AE it is!