Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Notre Dame - lines not passable w/Museum Pass?

Jan 23rd, 2002, 07:20 PM
Anne

I've searched the boards, but came across conflicting information. I've read that the Paris Museum Pass gets you into Notre Dame, but doesn't get you pass the lines at the towers - is this true?

I also read that it gets you through the entrance line, and it also lets you bypass the lines for the towers?? Which is true?

Jan 23rd, 2002, 11:33 PM
Anne

Topping

Jan 24th, 2002, 02:51 AM
Ruth

Notre Dame cathedral is free to visit, and there are no lines - only the towers charge a fee. When we were there recently the line seemed short for the tower but we didn't join it. I don't know whether the Museums Pass is valid for that but as far as I could see there was just one small entrance, so probably everyone joins the same line.

Jan 24th, 2002, 05:31 AM
Liz

The museum pass got us in free, but it didn't let us jump the line for the tower. That said, it was worth the wait in line to get up to the gargoyle level. Try getting there when they open. The main problem, we found, was tour groups with reservations that got to jump the line.

Jan 24th, 2002, 06:19 AM
Bob

Last year when we were in Paris, we bypassed the tower line by using the Pass. There was a small line to the left of the long line that was for people with Passes.

Jan 24th, 2002, 06:33 AM
Al Godon

Nice you got in ND free with the pass.
I got in free with my driver's license and my wife used a picture of her grandson. No one asked to see either!!

Jan 24th, 2002, 07:22 AM
xx

Gee Al, congratulations on your successfull cheating incident! I'm impressed..... that's not ugly american or anything.

Jan 24th, 2002, 07:55 AM
hmmm

xx - I don't think Al was "cheating" (ignore urge to say "For God's sake" here ...Notre Dame is a church first and foremost...they let everybody in for free!!!!! (I think Al was being facetious?)

The line is to get up to the towers, which is where the museum pass comes in. I think the two are getting a bit jumbled for some.

Jan 24th, 2002, 08:11 AM
Amy

There must be an inconsistant policy at the Notre Dame Towers. We asked last year if we our passes would allow us to avoid the line and were told by a very fluent and gracious guard that the "go to the head of the line" was not applicable at the Towers. Yet a friend of mine told me she had been able to move right to the front on another day.

It's not the only place where the "go to the head of the line" is not applicable. At the Arc de Triomphe, we were told we had to stand in the ticketing line to get free tickets to go to the top.

At the Picasso, we have to get the kids, who are free, a ticket at the sales desk and then may re-enter the building.

I hope that none of these experiences talks a first-time visitor out of buying a Carte Musee, though. The hour or two it can save you in a line at the Musee D'Orsay or the Louvre makes it a sensible "splurge."