Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Notre Dame after the fire (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/notre-dame-after-the-fire-1667023/)

TPAYT May 14th, 2019 05:51 AM

Notre Dame after the fire

After the tragic fire......
What is the surrounding area like presently?
Are the streets around the cathedral closed off?
At night is the whole area dark?
What do people on the boats see at night, complete darkness?

As someone that loves the area, I’m wondering how the shops, restaurants overlooking ND
are doing?

kerouac May 14th, 2019 06:29 AM

Well, I have a photo report running elsewhere -- giant fire at Notre Dame | Any Port in a Storm

You can see photos from yesterday at reply #81.

TPAYT May 14th, 2019 06:47 AM

Thanks Kerouac.....somehow I knew you’d keep everyone up to date.
I looked at reply #81..... looks just as crowded as ever. I plan to read through your whole report
later today.

I’m not returning until November 1st but have friends who have asked about nighttime around ND.

kerouac May 14th, 2019 07:03 AM

On TA, it appears that a lot of people have said that Notre Dame is no longer illuminated at night. I can't confirm that because I have no reason to be in that area after dark.

walkinaround May 14th, 2019 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by kerouac (Post 16918944)
On TA, it appears that a lot of people have said that Notre Dame is no longer illuminated at night. I can't confirm that because I have no reason to be in that area after dark.

Central Paris is best avoided after dark. All that 'City of Light' crap is a bunch of nonsense.

isabel May 15th, 2019 06:27 AM

That last response is nonsense. Much of Paris is beautifully lit. I have numerous nighttime shots in this gallery . See for yourself. https://andiamo.zenfolio.com/p460980929

Belinda May 15th, 2019 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by walkinaround (Post 16919180)
Central Paris is best avoided after dark. All that 'City of Light' crap is a bunch of nonsense.

This is crazy! In my opinion Paris is most glorious after dark! (Which doesn’t happen until 10 pm these days). I haven’t been by Notre Dame this month but just a few days before the fire I walked past at about 11 pm and it was magical - and virtually empty.

Calabria62 May 15th, 2019 07:13 AM

Isabel,
Thank you for posting your gorgeous photos. It was a year ago today that we took off for our Europe visit, culminating in a week in Paris. Looking at your photos has made me nostalgic for the gorgeous architecture and ambience of this beautiful city.

kerouac May 15th, 2019 07:18 AM

Ha, I didn't even find it necessary to respond to that post. Some people are hopeless.

I'm sure it has been said before, but the original term "ville lumière" does not at all refer to Paris looking pretty at night (which of course it does -- it is spectacular), but to being the "city of enlightenment." At the time when the term was coined, Paris was just as dark at night as any other city.

MarnieWDC May 15th, 2019 07:29 AM

I am counting the minutes and the days to get back to THE CITY of LIGHTS - ville lumiere - and all the hours of the day & night I will have there. And I will be staying on Ile Saint Louis.

TPAYT May 15th, 2019 08:23 AM

Thanks for responding to that ridiculous comment. I’m glad I’m not alone in thinking Paris is
stunning after dark. And yes, it is the “city of enlightenment.”

xyz99 May 15th, 2019 04:12 PM

Thanks Kerouac for the update.
Thanks isabel for your wonderful photos - I used them extensively when planning our trip in Sept.
I'm sure Paris will be just wonderful.

StCirq May 15th, 2019 04:21 PM

Isabel's photos are always a joy to behold. walkinaround's comments always reflect a jaundiced view of everything. Que sera sra.

walkinaround May 16th, 2019 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by Belinda (Post 16919515)
This is crazy! In my opinion Paris is most glorious after dark! (Which doesn’t happen until 10 pm these days). I haven’t been by Notre Dame this month but just a few days before the fire I walked past at about 11 pm and it was magical - and virtually empty.

Originally Posted by TPAYT (Post 16919579)
Thanks for responding to that ridiculous comment. I’m glad I’m not alone in thinking Paris is
stunning after dark. And yes, it is the “city of enlightenment.”

Originally Posted by StCirq (Post 16919925)
Isabel's photos are always a joy to behold. walkinaround's comments always reflect a jaundiced view of everything. Que sera sra.

Of course Paris is an amazing city at night...not just for the beauty and lights but the life, the arts, the street scene, the bars, the restaurants, etc, etc, etc.

Come on people...I was responding to a poster who lives in Paris and apparently has no reason to be in central Paris after dark. I know irony often does not work well on the internet but it was pretty clear in the context of what I was responding to!

MarnieWDC May 16th, 2019 05:20 AM

OH, Isabel, thank you for those wonderful photos. I had missed the link and am delighted to have found those incredible reminders of Paris.

Belinda May 16th, 2019 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by walkinaround (Post 16920134)

Of course Paris is an amazing city at night...not just for the beauty and lights but the life, the arts, the street scene, the bars, the restaurants, etc, etc, etc.

Come on people...I was responding to a poster who lives in Paris and apparently has no reason to be in central Paris after dark. I know irony often does not work well on the internet but it was pretty clear in the context of what I was responding to!

Sorry, Walkinaround, I missed the sarcasm. I didn't think it sounded like you.

PalenQ May 16th, 2019 10:44 AM

I loved taking the overground metro lines that circle the inner city at night and see the neon lights on every store and yes the city of light.

TPAYT May 16th, 2019 12:16 PM

Isabel......I have hundreds of photos from Paris but that didn’t stop me from taking my time looking at yours. You surely do have a good eye and your photos are spectacular. So many familiar scenes to bring back memories. I spotted Le Grand Colbert to my delight. Your night photos prove
that Paris at night is truly fantastic.

PalenQ May 16th, 2019 12:40 PM

Sorry, Walkinaround, I missed the sarcasm.>

Sarcasm is the new irony!

kerouac May 16th, 2019 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by StCirq (Post 16919925)

I of course wonder why people would find it surprising that I don't spend time along the Seine or near Notre Dame after dark. Do any of the others of you who live in big cities spend a lot of time in the tourist areas? But misplaced sarcasm is rampant here.