Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Not too thrilled with Electra Palace, any other Athen hotel recommendations?

Apr 2nd, 2002, 12:02 PM
janelle

We're happy to hear the Electra Palace is going through major renovations--it needs it. While views of the Acropolis are beautiful indeed, the place is in major need of refurbishment. Can you recommend other hotels in Athens near the Plaka of about the same price range? This is for a two night stay in May. Thanks!

Apr 2nd, 2002, 12:19 PM
XXX

I stayed at the Hotel Erectheon (sp?) near the base of the acropolis in 1998. A/C, ensuite, balcony for about $60 canadian. A bit of a walk to the Plaka.

Apr 2nd, 2002, 12:25 PM
Grasshopper

Janelle, I'm surprised that you found the Electra Palace lacking. We really liked it and found it to be quite nice (views aside), clean, friendly, airconditioned and comfortable. Compared to other places I've been in Athens it was a veritable palace! Whatever you do, don't go to the Olympic Palace Hotel. It's about 2 blocks away from the EP and the same price and horrible by comparison.

Apr 2nd, 2002, 12:50 PM
janelle

Thanks for your recommendation of the Hotel Erectheon. We'll do an internet search to find out more.
Grasshopper: We'll stay away from the Olympic Palace Hotel, thanks! I agree, there are far worse hotels out there and this might have been just our room but the bathroom was bad. I barely fit in the tub for a shower (I'm pretty small), the tub overflowed twice (these were short showers), the towels were threadbare and all but one light was out. While the balcony was a nice feature (great for enjoying wine and snacks), the lock on the sliding glass door was broken and the actual door was shattered (this was beyond a large chip, it was spread high and wide) and the carpet was threadbare. I agree, under better cirumstances it could be a great place but after everything we read about it we were a bit let down. Again, I've stayed at worse and for the same money and I don't let these things bother me but I just want some other choices for our stay in Athens. One thing I will say about the Electra Palace, the breakfast was bountiful (one of the best we've had in Europe as far as assortment and quantity) and the staff was very pleasant. Glad they're renovating though.

Apr 2nd, 2002, 12:54 PM
Grasshopper

Wow! Ours was NOTHING like that! We had a great room with a discount because the door wouldn't unlock and the bellman had to come up with us all the time. No big deal. Didn't you love the orange juice machine? I had forgotten about the breakfast. I think Greek breakfasts in general are very generous.

Apr 2nd, 2002, 01:02 PM
janelle

Loved that oj machine! Yeah, it could have been our room but it just left a bad taste in my mouth. Another hotel we stayed at on the return end of our trip was the Plaka Hotel (great location on the, you guessed it, Plaka). It was about $50 less than the Electra and was much cheerier. We had a room (half the size of the Electra) with an Acropolis view and the bathroom was great. They also have the rooftop terrace where you can have drinks in the evening. I had read form other postings that this place wasn't too good but I guess they've renovated because it was nothing like the postings. However, the breakfast was sad. I did long for the Electra at that point. Yummy breakfasts all right. Maybe we'll just stay there again if there are not other recommendations. Will look into teh Erectheon but don't know if we want to be too far from the Plaka. Has anyone stayed or seen the Hotel Adrian?

Apr 2nd, 2002, 01:07 PM
Grasshopper

Janelle, Have you see Matt Barrett's website? www.greektravels.com He has a link for Athens hotels.

Apr 2nd, 2002, 01:17 PM
Surlok

Check this link out. Many hotels in Athens are listed, and some pictures posted. The rates are good, too. However, reservations are pre-paid.

http://www.travel-designers.gr/hotels/hotels.asp?location_ch=Athens

Regards,

S

Apr 2nd, 2002, 04:41 PM
CJ

I too have to say that we really enjoyed the Electra Palace when we stayed there in August - September 1999. We had a good size room with a view of the Acropolis. My brother had a single that was also very nice. The staff was always very courteous, and extremely helpful in securing restaurant reservations and cabs. I'm pretty sure we paid about $150 per night for a double. I would stay there again in a heartbeat. I'm glad you are looking in the Plaka district -- that is definitely the area to stay in. I should also add that this was the cheapest hotel on our trip since I am pretty picky, and I really liked it.

Apr 3rd, 2002, 01:00 AM
marko

Try the Hotel Astor, part way between Syntagma and the Plaka, Roof top restaurant with view of the Acropolis.

Apr 3rd, 2002, 02:34 PM
Rob McCoist

I can also recommend the Astor. Have lodged there every time I visit the city. My reason for doing this is due to an unfortunate travel-related problem that happened to a group of us on our first visit to the hotel. The staff there were fantastic and went out of their way to help us. If anyone is interested there is a consumer web site where folks can post messages about hotels they have stayed and I remember the Astor being listed. I'll post the address when I find it! The hotel's website is atBR>
http://www.astorhotel.gr/

Rob

Apr 3rd, 2002, 03:48 PM
sue

Hi,

Go to Dilos.com and that web site has a list of hotels in different price ranges. They are a good resource for booking Greek hotels, flights, cars, etc.

Have fun.