Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   not too hot destination in EU? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/not-too-hot-destination-in-eu-708580/)

LGGB May 28th, 2007 10:20 AM

not too hot destination in EU?

Hi, everyone, do you have any suggestions for a vacation destination in Europe, for Aug, which is warm (about 30 degrees), but not sweaty hot?

nytraveler May 28th, 2007 10:27 AM

Well - to me that's already well into the sweaty hot range - I don;t like things much above 70.

And I don;t know anyplace where you can get temps of 30 - but can be guaranteed that you won;t get temps of 35/36 - or 22/23. Weather is just to uncertain.

You can head for Scandinavia and be pretty sure of pleasantly cool at night - or go to southern Spain and be sure of hot as hell. Other than that - you take your chances.

suze May 28th, 2007 10:37 AM

Switzerland or France on a lake somewhere?

sheila May 28th, 2007 12:44 PM

South West France.

altamiro May 28th, 2007 12:55 PM

>do you have any suggestions for a vacation destination in Europe, for Aug, which is warm (about 30 degrees), but not sweaty hot?

Up in the mountains?

Valais, upper Engadine valley...

OK, it is in Switzerland, not in the EU, but should fit the description :-)

kerouac May 28th, 2007 01:05 PM

August was quite cool in Paris last year (July was hot). But there was also that August a few years ago that killed 30,000 people in France.

At the moment, all bets are open. April was hot, and May has been a rainy catastrophe for the most part. It is snowing in the mountains, and tomorrow Paris will hit a high of 15°C (overnight lows of 7°C). I chuckle at the thought of the visitors who paid extra for air-con this month; some of my colleagues have even been turning on the heat in their residences.

kenav May 28th, 2007 01:32 PM

Switzerland is great, but just know that the parts of Switzerland that are not in the mountains can be just as hot as other Western European countries.

annhig May 28th, 2007 02:21 PM

hi, LGGB,

you could try Holland or the Belgian coast, or what about the coasts of northumberland and yorkshire - rarely gets too hot there.

also here in Cornwall you shouldn't get too hot.

nowhere can guarentee you 30%, but the further north you go, the better chance you have of avoiding perspiration.

regards, ann

weelynnie May 28th, 2007 02:23 PM

Scotland? Ha ha :)

alanRow May 28th, 2007 02:32 PM

It was a lot nearer to 30F than 30C in Scotland today

weelynnie May 28th, 2007 02:36 PM

Aye! And to think i got sunburned here in May :(

sheila May 29th, 2007 01:08 AM

It's starvation here right now. We haven't seen 30 degrees in Aberdeen in my life time.

kerouac May 29th, 2007 02:54 AM

It snowed in the Vosges mountains as well as in the Black Forest just across the Rhine yesterday.

There was frost on the ground in a lot of France last night.

Today the tourists are all bundled up as they walk on the Champs Elysées, but at least it is partly sunny. Yesterday in the non-stop cold rain, they all looked totally depressed.

BettyB May 29th, 2007 04:02 AM

Sheila - I love that term "It's starvation" - my mother used it all the time when I was growing up in Dalwhinnie - where it usually was "starvation".