Not this again!? Jules Verne in Paris?

Sep 5th, 2001, 10:58 AM
Rod

Not this again!? Jules Verne in Paris?

I know what you're thinking. "How many times do we have to see a posting like this!? My God! This was just on here recently!!!"

Believe me, I have tried to use the search function but to no avail (it didn't even pull up 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea!). What I'd really like to know is this: most restaurants with great views have mediocre to awful food; is Jules Verne an exception to this rule? On a scale from 1 - 10, how would you rate the food?

Thanks for bearing with me on this much covered ground.

Sep 5th, 2001, 11:05 AM
Rex

I think it is an exception - - an 8 or a 9, though I only ate there once - - in 1992. But reports give about the same favorable press now as they did then.

Best wishes,

Rex

Sep 5th, 2001, 11:20 AM
Greg Gallagher

I am leaving for Paris in a couple of days. Is it foolish to think I could get a seating at this restaurant? Or does money talk if necessary? Not trying to be snobbish but I just love surprising my wife with treats like this, and did not know that the food might really be worth it.

Sep 5th, 2001, 11:22 AM
elaine

Rod
My ratings may not be not your ratings, but as of two years ago, I'd give it a
7 or an 8 for food, but a 9 as a restaurant experience.

Sep 5th, 2001, 11:24 AM
Rex

I wouldn't know if it would matter to go there in person for lunch sometime (can you sneak away from your wife?) - - and offer the host a VERY big tip... 5000 FF? or maybe only a few thousand...

But otherwise, I think no way... You could also try offering your hotel's concierge a substantial sum - - and I think you can genuinely ask him - - how much might make a difference?

Best wishes,

Rex

Sep 5th, 2001, 11:25 AM
Book Chick

Greg,
They are booked for dinners through 2001. I think they're booked for lunches through November. You might be able to ask if there's a cancellation--but I'm uncertain how lucky you'll be. (Money cannot create an additional table & their tables are usually filled.)
BC

Sep 5th, 2001, 11:31 AM
a mom

What is the 'dress code' for a lunch or dinner there? Is lunch 'sightseeing' clothes, but dinner dressier? How about for teenagers??

Thanks

Sep 5th, 2001, 11:41 AM
AGM/Cape Cod

We went to Jules Verne for lunch in July and the food was great. If you can get reservations I would go. If you are making reservations far enough in advance to make requests ask for a window seat. Luckily we were only one couple from the window on the banquettes and that couple left when we were halfway through our meal. Dress ranged from suits to blue jeans. The little girl next to us (about 6) had on a party dress but the table of kids across the room were wearing casual clothes.

Sep 5th, 2001, 11:49 AM
BARBARA

Hi, might want to try there email & ask them for any info, or to make reservations.
http://www.tour-eiffel.fr/indexuk.html
Good Luck.
Barbara....

Sep 5th, 2001, 01:20 PM
Rod

How much does dinner for two run here (not including wine)? What about lunch?

Sep 5th, 2001, 01:24 PM
Book Chick

Dinner can run $160-300 USD. Luncheons are usually as a rule, about 25% less expensive than that. Sandy Creelman told me she had brunch there & it ran $100-$125 per person, but I think it might have been a few years ago.
BC

Sep 5th, 2001, 01:52 PM
Greg Gallagher

Thanks everyone. I think I will politely ask my concierge and leave it at that. If not hey what's left 20,000 other beautiful places to go.

The trip to Paris was already a surprise to her. I thought a little icing never hurt, but this one might give me a sore tooth(hehe).

Sep 5th, 2001, 01:59 PM
Book Chick

Greg,
You're right & I think you have a good attitude, too. You might want to check out a web site called "Reserve the Best". You can make an online restaurant reservation for a restaurant in Paris. In addition to location & type of cuisine, there's usually a little blurb on the history of the place & present chef/owner(s). I'll be in Paris in October & used the site to reserve at La Fermette Marbeuf 1900. they send you an e-mail confirmation.
Best Wishes for A Great Trip,
BC

Sep 5th, 2001, 02:09 PM
Rod

Help! My thread has been hi-jacked (just kidding)! Thanks to all (including hi-jacker Greg for asking another pertinent question)for your responses. Awards go to:

1. Rex & Elaine...for actually rating the restaurant as per the original posting.

2. Book Chick...fastest on the draw and for the reserve web site

3. Barbara...for the Eiffel Tower web site

4. Greg... for posing the difficulty question

5. Whoever else contributed

Thanks to all.

Sep 5th, 2001, 06:08 PM
Randall Smith

Bon Soir Rod,

Funny story: My very good friend and partner came to visit my wife and I in Paris this summer. They had never been to Paris and we had never been to the Jules Verne. At any rate their 13 year old son had told all of his friends in the states that he was going to the "Tour Eiffel". It a was Sunday in July and the lines were aweful. My good friend noticed that the line at the Pilier Sud was extremely short, i.e. the entrance to the Jules Verne. I went inside and asked if there might be room for five, and miraculously we managed to take the last 5 available places. We did have a wonderful meal and very much enjoyed ourselves. It was definitely a memorable experience. We were somewhat underdressed, but sometimes those impromptu experiences are the best. We will always have great memories of that afternoon in Paris.

Sincerely,

Randall Smith