Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Not For Tourists Majorca? Possible in August?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15th, 2007, 03:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, My boyfriend and I wanted to take a long weekend away in August, so we went down the Easyjet site and just found the cheapest, most direct place from where we live. The result? Majorca. Afterwards, however, I learned how it is full of tourists in August and it just sounds like something we are not into. But, I have also read here and there, that there can be some great non-touristy places and things to do. We would like to spend the first 1 1/2 days in Palma because that is not only where we fly in, but we have interest in some of the historical sites...But, the other 2 days I don't know what to do and information is limited. I have 2 reservations right now: one in Puerto de sóller and the other in Moscari (Selva). Any ideas about these places OR any others? I can still cancel the reservations here. Also, it is his 30th birthday and I would like to do some special things, perhaps like Sailing. Any suggestions there?
Old Jul 15th, 2007, 09:29 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Jul 15th, 2007, 10:42 AM

Majorca has always lots of tourists, but they go there for a reason. There were lots of tourists also in April when I had my latest visit. But during the past ten years the island has washed its face and is not solely a mass charter destination. Palma is a nice town, and Puerto de Sóller is just a small place, there are no huge hotels. All the western mountain area is very nice, also Soller, Deia, Fortnalutz (spelled wrong, I know) and others. Some nice hikes there.
Old Jul 15th, 2007, 12:09 PM

soller is sweet. go to www.mallorcaonline.com and see what else there is to do on island.

lots to keep you busy.

Old Jul 15th, 2007, 01:41 PM

I have been to Mallorca 3 times this year and we are building a house near Santanyi.

August is prime time children's holiday and Mallorca is a prime time destination. However, this is a big island and you will find quiet areas. The onle downside may be the crowded coasts and the probability that you will run into traffic when travelling. Puerto de Soller is a family resort and will be very busy - Soller and the valley towards Fornalux are beautiful and may be a better bet.

Moscari is a pretty and much quieter country village. I can't remember what the restaurants are like but Pollensa town is a short drive and you will find plenty of good restaurants there.

One way of avoiding the crowds is to book a Finca hotel - most are converted farms/country mansions and are generally of a high standard - The Other Mallorca have a good selection.

I think that you are making the right choice spending more than a passing couple of hours in Palma. The shopping, museums, architecture, restaurants, bars etc could keep yopu going for a week. Go to Bar Abaco - a converted mansion - it is unmissable - parrotts fly around and the cocktails are in goldfish bowls!

From Moscari you could easy go for a sail from Puerta Pollensa - there are several good sailing schools linked to the RYA in the UK. I'm unsure whether you have experience - we have yacht in the UK and I would never advise to go out without a good amount of experience some of the approach to Med flotilla holiday seem reckless.

Finally, things to do :
train to Soller - one a Europe's great little train lines. The Cathedral in Palma - stunning. Classical concerts in Palma - the cultural scene in summer now matches any Northern European city - we saw Michael Nyman play in Alcudia 3 years ago.
A boat trip to Cape Formentor - the scenery and beaches are superb.

People have argued that the island has been transformed - I disagree I think that there was only ever small areas that were totally ravaged by tacky tourism - if you avoid Magaluf, Arenel, Palma Nova you really can't go wrong.

Have a good trip.
Old Jul 16th, 2007, 03:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much! This is really exciting. I am feeling much better about this holiday now that I have read these responses. Okay, I will have a look at these specifics, try to formulate a new plan and might be back on with my "official" itinerary. Thanks again!
Old Jul 16th, 2007, 03:58 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
don't forget the monestries which you can stay in and in the north west eat in
Old Mar 17th, 2011, 07:12 PM

Would it be too hot to go to Majorca in August?