Not clear on luggage with Lufthansa, United

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11th, 2007, 10:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, we came to Paris via two United flights from the United States, and are returning to the United states, leaving Paris for Frankfurt on a Lufthansa flight, then changing to another Lufthansa flight operated by United Airlines in Frankfurt. So how do I figure out how much luggage I can carry on and check?

I don't suppose there's any way to explain this easily, but I count on you all to do a better job than the airlines - we were going to fly to Glasgow from Paris, but after spending much of the afternoon trying to figure out the British Airway rules, we said the heck with it and are spending another week here. Anyhow, any help you can give would be appreciated.
Old Apr 11th, 2007, 11:37 AM

I assume you've been to the United website and read those rules, right?
Old Apr 11th, 2007, 12:02 PM

Lufthansa rules apply for the Paris to Franfurt flight.

United rules apply for the Frankfurt to USA flight.
Old Apr 12th, 2007, 01:13 AM

If you have one ticket for all these flights the baggage rules for the transatlantic flight are effective, because the other flights are considered as connecting flights.

Look on your ticket under "baggage allowance". If there is "PC" then the "piece concept" applies (two pieces @ max. 23 kg per person), if there is "20" you can take max. 20 kg per person, regardless the number of pieces. But Lufthansa is pretty liberal with handbaggage...
Old Apr 19th, 2007, 08:26 AM
Original Poster

I don't have anything that I would call a ticket, much less anything that says "baggage allowance" or PC. I have an eTicket receipt, that I printed out when I bought my original ticket for my two flights over to Paris(from SFO to Chicago, and from Chicago to Charles De Gaulle). It describes both flights I will be taking to get home. It doesn't say anything at all about luggage.
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 09:54 AM
Original Poster

Just topping, in case anyone has any recent experience with eTickets scheduling both Lufthansa and Lufthansa operated by United. Thanks to those who have responded; I will check the respective web sites and try to figure them out.
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 10:15 AM

I've had several Lufthansa-United connections in the past couple of years. As stated above, if this is all on one ticket, the "international" rules apply re: your checked baggage on both segments.

http://www.united.com/page/article/0...#International

Re: carry-ons, I've generally found United to be more liberal than Lufthansa. Unlike traveller1959, I've found LH to be pretty strict about carry-ons, but that has mostly been at Chicago. Based on my experiences there, I've not tried to carry on more than a purse and a computer bag when departing on LH from Europe. At any rate, I would expect to adhere to LH's (not UA's) carry-on requirements for the CDG-FRA flight. Unlike UA, LH has weight requirements in addition to size requirements for carry-ons.
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 10:43 AM

I posted my recent carry-on experiences with Luftansa on the thread entitled Lufthansa. Just click on my name if you want to read it.