Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

NOT cheap stay in Rome, balcony room in Tuscany area, hotel in Florence????

Old Feb 12th, 2006, 05:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I always see advice for "cheap but nice room in Rome", FI and I do not want cheap but nice. WE will be going on our Honeymoon and we want something nice! $300.00 would be our budget in Rome. Please someone has to have gone to Rome and not stayed in $100.00 a night room, right?

Next, we really want to stay somewhere outside Tuscay. We threw out the idea of Montelcino. However, the place we liked doesn't have a balcony room available. Any other suggestions would be great. We will even go to another area. AS LONG AS THERE IS WINE!

In Florence, just looking for something nice. Please help?

And what does TTT mean?

Thanks so much!
Old Feb 12th, 2006, 05:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cant help you with the rooms, as I tend to rent apartments rather than hotels, but

ttt = to the top

used by posters to move neglected questions back to the top of the list of topics. the following are also sometimes used "Topping" or "bump"
Old Feb 12th, 2006, 06:23 AM
ira

Hi CAAA,

>I always see advice for "cheap but nice room in Rome", FI and I do not want cheap but nice. <

I understand your wishes.

Howver, why would anyone post, "Great Expensive Hotel Find"?

I suggest that you start at www.venere.com and look at the 3&4* hotels.

Research the ones you like at www.tripadvisor.com and then come back here with a couple of choices in each city for further critique.

Have a happy honeymoon.

Old Feb 12th, 2006, 06:37 AM

Hotel Ponte Sisto.

http://www.hotelpontesisto.it/web/
Old Feb 12th, 2006, 07:21 AM

Hotel Ponte Sisto is out of their price range.
Old Feb 12th, 2006, 07:27 AM

Get one of th better rooms at either the Albergo Cesari or at Hotel Mozart in Rome. You can pay more, but why?

In MONTALCINO, the Vecchia Oliviera is a nice 4 star at the edge of town and easy to access. Also look at this place 15 km away--- www.palazzodelcapitano.com
Old Feb 12th, 2006, 07:34 AM

I think CAAA should call Hotel Ponte Sisto before ruling it out. They are showing a winter special for 190E /night and may very well be able to negotiate a room for $300 US or les per night at oter times as well. Definately worth the price of a phone call.

A second Rome choice would be Hotel Residenza Farnese. Again the rake rates may a little over the budget but a phone call is likely to yeild a room within the budget.

Old Feb 12th, 2006, 08:01 AM

B&B In Piazza della Signoria in Florence. You can see their lovely rooms on the web site. Our's had windows that opened onto the Piazza, silk-draped canopy bed, original fresocoes on the ceiling. You will have access to the kitchen with wine, juices, bread, food, etc. I stayed here last month and recommend it very highly. The price includes an excellent breakfast: besides the pastries and bread they will cook you eggs, meats, anything you request for no extra fee. We paid E. 234 in January; rates are slightly higher later in the year.
Old Feb 12th, 2006, 02:56 PM
Original Poster

Do you think that Montalcino is a good area to be in as far as the Tuscan countryside goes? How difficult is it to rent a car outside Rome and drop off when we arrive in Florence? We will need the car in Tuscany, right? Thanks
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 07:15 AM

Yes you can pick up the car in Rome and return it in Florence. Yes you should have a car to see the most in Tuscany. There are so many posts related to hotels in the Tuscan countryside; do a search and see what you come up with as far as a balcony room. You say outside Tuscany; do you mean outside Florence?
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 08:30 AM

Residenza Cellini in Rome gets rave reviews here and on www.tripadvisor.com

http://www.residenzacellini.it/

For $300 a night, you can stay in their jr. suite
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 11:16 AM

In Tuscany consider L'Olmo. It is about five minutes south of Pienza. Easy access to Montalcino and Montepulciano. Only seven rooms in the place and two of them have large patios. Very nice and in your price range.
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 11:32 AM

This website has luxury 'boutique' hotels in Rome and Florence:

www.mrandmrssmith.com

I have no idea of price, but from what I have seen they start at around 200 euros a night...

Congratulations on your forthcoming marriage, and may I wish you all the best for a long and happy life together.
Old Feb 16th, 2006, 06:26 PM

I don't see what months you are traveling to Rome. $300 doesn't buy the greatest rooms in the high season but should get you something very nice in the off season.
How many nights are you staying in Roma? If you are there for at least 4, often hoteliers will negotiate a better price.
Is this your first trip to Europe?
Good luck with it all. Have a wonderful wedding and trip.
Gigi

Old Feb 16th, 2006, 07:21 PM

Palazzo Ravizza in Sienna,Albergo Santa Chiara in Rome(great location) Hotel Davanzati in Florence.
Old Feb 16th, 2006, 07:56 PM

isnt the starhotels chain a pretty nice chain in italy? i've stumbled on their site a few times. their rooms seem pretty nice.
Old Feb 17th, 2006, 11:25 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for all of the suggestions. This is our first trip to Italy. We are going in October.
Old Feb 17th, 2006, 01:00 PM
jay

In Florence we just stayed at the A Teatro B&B. The rooms were huge and we paid 111E for a triple. It has a lift and is in a nice neighborhood within walking distance to everything.
Old Feb 17th, 2006, 01:40 PM

We stayed at Hotel Antica Torre Tornabuoni. in Florence. The Hotel is actually in a medieval tower. It is on Via Tornabuoni which is the fashionable shopping street in Florence and within easy walking distance of everything. We had a room with a terrace (well worth the additional cost) from which we could see the Arno and the Duomo. A fabulous breakfast was included (served in August outside on the top of the tower under umbrellas). We would stay there again in a heartbeat. The hotel is small - 12 rooms and I believe our room was 180 Euros a night.
www.tornabuoni1.com
Old Feb 17th, 2006, 01:55 PM

The Villa Scacciapensieri in Siena and the Torre Di Bellosguardo in Florence were both suggested to me by friends. I think they are 4 or 5 star hotels.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -