Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Norwegian Air Shuttle - LAX to Paris? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/norwegian-air-shuttle-lax-to-paris-1087035/)

maitaitom Feb 18th, 2016 12:51 PM

Norwegian Air Shuttle - LAX to Paris?

Has anyone heard of this airline? I got an AirFareWatchDog alert with incredible non-stop round-trip prices. Then I went to read some reviews, and now I am pretty hesitant about flying this airline. Just wondering if anyone has first hand experience about flying with them. Thanks.

((H))

Finecheapboxofwine Feb 18th, 2016 12:57 PM

Yes they are real and reputable but I've only used them for flights within Sweden.

DebitNM Feb 18th, 2016 01:04 PM

One of the biggest issues with these kind of carriers is that if they only have limited flights between your cities (maybe just the one you're looking at) and if there are issues with plane, you may be Delayed or the flight might not arrive and therefore no plane for your flight. They won't have a back up plane. Of course this is assuming that the same planes goes to and from your cities.

isabel Feb 18th, 2016 01:29 PM

I have flown them in Europe and they were fine. So now I have myself booked on them this summer from Boston to London. I'm a bit nervous for the reasons stated above, but the price was just too good to resist - and it's non-stop and good times. So - I wish me luck.

maitaitom Feb 18th, 2016 01:58 PM

debit "imited flights between your cities.."

Yes, they only have Tuesday and Saturday flights. I think I am going to pass up the great fare. I'm not a good "plane delay" guy. Thanks.

((H))

Odin Feb 19th, 2016 09:41 AM

It is a pity you passed up the great fare on the basis of something that might not happen. Frequency of flights between cities is not relevant. Something can be delayed or go wrong between cities where there are many flights eg weather delays, tech delays. Airlines don't have backup planes sitting around. If I limited myself to airlines who have frequent flights between cities, I would not have not have been to half the places I have travelled to. If anything, an airline with limited frequency between cities is more likely to not be delayed, no one wants stranded passengers where flights operate infrequently. Norwegian might not have been heard of stateside, but in Europe they has been operating for a while and has a new, large fleet as is common with "these types of carriers".

Dukey1 Feb 19th, 2016 09:50 AM

They fly from Fort Lauderdale to Europe. The planes used within Europe are not necessarily the same aircraft used for trans-oceanic flights.

Be very aware of the seat configurations (look at Seatguru.com)

We have several friends who have used them to fly to Europe from here and they were satisfied with what they got for the price they paid. But what is "satisfying" to them is not always satisfying to me.

hetismij2 Feb 19th, 2016 10:25 AM

When I did a test booking with them it worked out more expensive than KLM by the time I added all the things you get for free on a KLM flight.

isabel Feb 20th, 2016 03:44 AM

As I said above, I have flown them within Europe and they were fine. I am booked on them this summer for transatlantic flights. I didn't do much research before I booked this summer's flights because I had flown with them and they were fine. However - after booking I did read some reviews that were quite disturbing. Mostly having to do with serious delays and cancellations. (The price is fantastic and they make quite clear what the extras are so the bulk of the reviews that complain about having to pay for seat assignments or meals are just a waste of space - you can and should know that in advance.) But the delay/cancellation thing IS a problem.

First they cancelled my flight which was on a Tuesday and put me on the Wednesday flight. I had already booked my onward travel and hotels so I was upset but the one day change was still doable. But now, after seeing this post I just did a lot more research and the possibility of a serious delay has me thinking I might just eat the $300 I paid for my ticket and book myself on another airline.

I do think the fact that they only have one flight a day, and not even daily, is a problem. An airline with multiple flights to your destination (in my case Boston to London) can much more easily absorb passengers on other flights. If the aircraft you are scheduled to be on is out of commission I don't think you are going anywhere soon. (On the other hand, the non-stop flight and the planes themselves are apparently quite nice). Oh, what to do.

hetismij2 Feb 20th, 2016 04:24 AM

isabel, I suggest you read this: http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens...r/index_en.htm

It won't help with a messed up itinerary but you do have rights, even on a cheapo airline lie Norwegian.

isabel Feb 20th, 2016 09:20 AM

Thanks for that link. Good information. But I'm guessing that given the super cheap price of the ticket, that is the customer service is as bad as everyone is saying it is, that it probably wouldn't be worth the trouble.

Christina Feb 20th, 2016 10:35 AM

Those EU Passenger air rights aren't going to solve anything if a flight is cancelled and they only have 2 flights a week so you can't go for a couple days (or a week if the next flight is booked up). That is within what airlines are allowed to do. And if the cancellation is due to weather, they don't owe you anything but still won't help you if they have few flights. Of course you can get a refund, but that won't help if it ruins your vacation. So if they couldn't get you there for a week, sure, they might owe you 500 euro as a penalty if it was their fault but it will have ruined your vacation-- at least most people who have to make a lot of arrangements and reservations for specific dates. And they don't owe you anything as a penalty if they tell you at least 2 weeks in advance.

Jim_Tardio May 14th, 2016 02:10 PM

Just saw this thread. I just returned from Europe via Norwegian Air. we flew non-stop LAX to Stockholm, and from Berlin to Boston to see my daughter.

Flights were routine. There is nothing you can really fault with this airline. For us it was efficient and cheap. The food was pretty bad, but what airline doesn't have horrible food.

We booked round trip, non-stop from Los Angeles to Paris for Oct. 2016...$1300.00 for both of us. For that price I'll bring a sandwich. For Paris, however, they only fly on Tuesdays & Saturdays.

I suppose you could worry about a cancelled flight, but that could happen with anyone. I would recommend them if you just want a routine, coach airline experience. They were offering upgrades to business class on our trip from Berlin to Boston for $400.00...not bad.

Cjar May 14th, 2016 11:28 PM

I almost booked with them for our October trip to Paris, but was discouraged by reviews. Apparently the airline has a poor history of delays sometimes lasting days. I also don't like the inability to choose seats if you purchase the cheapest tickets available.We ended up booking with Iceland Air for almost the same price.

nanabee May 15th, 2016 11:54 AM

I've flown on Norwegian Airlines from LAX to Bergen, Norway. It was fine. However, you have to be very, very careful when you start to book because they will charge you for everything.

You start out with choices as for Low Fare, Moderate Low Fare, Premium Fare, or something similar to those choices.

I chose Low Fare, then you choose a number of options like advanced seat selection (that costs you 35 Euros per seat), and bags costs you 35 Euros per bag, food can cost up to 70 Euros, etc. So the costs can creep up very quickly.

Also I indicated no food choice but it charged me 70 Euros anyway. I had to go back and it was tricky to remove that charge.

It was too difficult to remove the two bags charge at 70 euros so I just left it (we can check both bags I guess).

kawh May 15th, 2016 01:51 PM

A dearfriend took it recently and was super delayed. So delayed that they got a hotel stay...and the hotel was amazing and luxe. (Maybe they knew it was a special occasion?) So...likely delays, but if you have a flexible schedule, enjoy the overnight stay....

Dukey1 May 15th, 2016 06:08 PM

They fly from Fort Lauderdale and we have friends who have used them and were pleased.

I'd realy LIKE to find an airline that automatically HAS a 'backup" plane at the ready...I can tell you penty of stories bt won't bore you with those nasty details.

I would be certain I knew ALL about the seating before I booked any flights.

Jim_Tardio May 19th, 2016 09:42 AM

Their pricing is simple. "Low Fare" gets you a seat that they choose. You pay extra if you check a bag.

"Low Fare+" lets you pick your own seat, gets you 2 meals on long-haul, international flights, and allows you one checked bag free.

Above that, there are a couple of options for ticket-change allowances and their version of business class.

"Low Fare+" is probably the best deal for most of us...pick your seat, get a meal, check a bag.

As far as delays go, no airline has a backup plane for international flights unless you are in a major airport like LAX or JFK. And they don't really have a backup plane. They have 2 flights a day and will put you on the next flight if there is room (good luck with that).