Norwegian Air nonstop LAX-CDG

Old Jun 19th, 2019, 10:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Norwegian Air nonstop LAX-CDG

I'm heading to France in September 2019 after a lengthy hiatus from European travel. Norwegian Air is leaps and bounds cheaper than other airlines. I know nothing of this airline, other than what I've researched here. What is their Premium cabin like? Can you share your experience? Do you know it's financial condition presently? Would you book on this airline?

Thanks.
Old Jun 19th, 2019, 11:02 AM

We flew them NY to Dublin back in March. We were part of the 737 MAX fiasco which happened 5 days prior to our flight and luckily they substituted a 787 Dreamliner for our flight. That plane was very nice. Most quiet plane I've flown on and for the first time my ears did not pop much due to the way it is pressurized. I got the most sleep on that plane than any other I've flown. I assume you would be flying a 787 on that long of a flight.
We flew economy but walked through the premium section during boarding and unboarding. You can probably see pictures on the internet, the seats are wider and have a footrest you can pull out. But certainly not on par with normal business classes of other large airlines on long haul flights. More like the "first" class on a domestic flight but more legroom.
We did not eat any meals so I have no comment on that.
As for the financial condition, I think it is stronger than other low budget airlines but certainly not robust. They are cutting back on US bases and some routes to save money. The MAX situation did not help matters. As to whether I'd book the airline, I did for a trip to Scandinavia this fall as it and SAS are the only nonstop flights and they were a few hundred $ less plus I really liked the 787. So I'm crossing my fingers they stay in business for the next 3-4 months!
Old Jun 19th, 2019, 11:04 AM
Original Poster

Thanks lolfn.
Old Jun 19th, 2019, 11:08 AM

I flew them to Rome last year, nonstop from Newark, and had a good flight. No complaints and the fare was $500 r/t. I was booked to fly them in April from Newburgh to Dublin, and due to the Boeing issues they rescheduled my return flight (approximately 3 weeks before my vacation) to an alternate date that was impossible for me accept. In terms of comfort and price, I would be ok with booking again with them, but I'd probably wait until the Boeing thing is resolved. The problematic jets are the majority of their fleet, from what I understand.
Old Jun 19th, 2019, 11:14 AM
Original Poster

Thank you.
Old Jun 19th, 2019, 12:17 PM

They have messed me around twice on short haul both times the same modus operandi. Take my money 9 months up front but before they have guaranteed slots. Their slots are issued 3 months prior to departure at which stage they decide whether to operate the flight.

On two occasions they changed my connections to leave me needed to take off before I landed or have a 4 day stopovers. On both occasions I had to cancel the flights and was left with no other option other than cancelling the trip.

They also have had continual cash flow issues.

i would never use them again.
Old Jun 19th, 2019, 12:22 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I would worry more about their financial stability. Apparently there have been some major problems -- which appear to have been solved -- but keep an eye on all information about the company.
Old Jun 19th, 2019, 12:51 PM

Carriers of this type always have risks as passengers of Wow airlines recently found out.
Old Jun 19th, 2019, 01:14 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
IMO you need to do some research other than HERE; as was mentioned, their financial stability has apparently been an issue
Old Jun 19th, 2019, 02:10 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. Will do.
Old Jun 19th, 2019, 02:28 PM

We flew them last year from LAX to Rome in premium economy because the thought of a nonstop flight was so attractive. Even though the flight didn't leave on time (due to two separate passenger issues, not the airline), the flight landed close to on-time. The premium economy cabin and offerings were not as nice as other ones we've been on, like Air France or Turkish Airlines, and it was quite expensive for what we got in comparison too, but having the extra legroom and the privacy of the 2 seats was worth it. We also got lounge access. I'd call it "premium economy lite." Coming back, same thing. We landed on time, and everything was non-eventful.

I'd definitely use them again if their financial situation were more stable, but this year I decided I didn't want to risk it so we're going with a connecting flight.
Old Jun 19th, 2019, 04:57 PM

We have flown them twice now from Seattle to Gatwick always on Premium class. We luckily have been on the Dreamliner both times. As mentioned it is very quiet and they say the air quality is better. Since I can never sleep on a plane I like the fact that they have a good easy to use entertainment center. Seats have foot rest but do not go all the way flat. But we have flow the equivalent of Premium class on Icelandic Air and Thomas Cook and Norwegian is much better than either. We do cross our fingers about their financial stability but will definitely use them again next spring is everything looks the same in term of their financing.

A couple of other things to note. With Premium class you get use of a business class lounge at SeaTac so am guessing you will get that as well in LAX. Also, we saved around $300 last year by booking on the UK Norwegian site versus the US site, and you will read on the web that it pays to check pricing using the Norwegian country site and even the other countries as well. We also ended up paying $15 for flight insurance through them and ended up having to change flight dates due to some last minute medical issues that came up for my DH and that process went very smoothly with Norwegian-they were very easy to work with.