Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Norway Oslo, to Bergen to Alesund and back doable in 6.5 days?

Aug 14th, 2012, 10:53 AM
Original Poster

Hi guys
Thanks in advance for reading and useful suggestions

First visit to Norway, looking for a real outdoorsy, hiking, driving through wild mountainous, fjord cruise with car and just enjoying nature at its best

6 full days, 2 people...

Aug 20 - 1900 - arrive in Moss airport and hire car
Aug 27 - 1230 - Have to return car at Moss airport

Been looking at replicating this tour: http://norway.nordicvisitor.com/trav...efault.aspxand

How easy is it to get accommodation on the fly at cheap B&Bs or campsites/hostels?

This itinerary is spaced out over 9 nights..we are fairly active and will be happy to be travelling 8.00am to 11pm all days

If its not all doable, could someone please suggest a route..

Oslo - Gielo - Hardingervidda park, Vof waterfall --- then options seem to be either towards Flam/Sognefjord - with cruise at Gundvagen or head towards Voss and then Bergen.

Is the Flam railway really worth it if self driving....is there just as good scenery to be had from the road? By driving, we miss out on the really popular flam to gundvagen ferry...and noaerofjord cruise...is this a must if we'd be heading north towards geiranger and getting the car ferry there anyway...?

What would be the best place to do a hike. The area around Sognland looks amazing to do a 2 hour hike to get to the top of a hill to look down into the fjord?

We figure we'd get from bergen to geiranger, then alesund, andalsnes, and back to oslo ---- is this a nice route? and how would you suggest we break up the journey.

comments much appreciated.
cheers.
Aug 14th, 2012, 11:17 AM

Is the Flam railway really worth it if self driving.>

No IMO because when I took the relatively short railway it seemed a road followed its course - major attractions was a stop on the train at some water falls - obviously also gotten to by road.
Aug 14th, 2012, 12:01 PM

You might want to read my trip report; click on my name to find it.

"Cheap" and "Norway" don't go together. However, one can rent cabins or stay in B&Bs that are less expensive than hotels. Bring sleeping bag liners so that you do not have to pay for sheets when renting a cabin.

I would not consider Flam as a destination. The town itself is just the rail head for the little train. If trains are your thing, then you might want to take that train ride. Otherwise you will have many views of many fjords if you go to Alesund via Geiranger Fjord.
Aug 14th, 2012, 12:13 PM

I do not see the trip as really doable in the amount of time. It might be better to do a one-way rental and fly back from Alesund (is it possible) or go to Trondheim and fly back to Oslo.
Aug 15th, 2012, 09:30 AM
Original Poster

thanks for your replies...if 6.5 days is not enough to do it all...which bits should i drop?

not fussed about checking out cities...is bergen really worth a visit or should i head north towards geiranger and alesund from the naerofjord/gundvagen area, or would i be better off going to bergen/voss and then returning to oslo and miss out on geiranger?

the
have to return the car at oslo...

the drive from alesund to oslo..is a long one via lillehammer...is it a scenic/mountainous route...what detours would anyone suggest?
Aug 15th, 2012, 10:34 AM

Bergen is worth a visit. But then it might be better to use public transportation between Oslo and Bergen, do the Flam RR, stay on the fjord (Balestrand has been recommended) and either get to Bergen by train or by high-speed ferry. Return to Oslo by train.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mksfca/...70576316/show/ to the end of the Bergen pictures.
Aug 15th, 2012, 10:37 AM

I forgot: if driving, keep in mind that distance are longer than in the States (with some exceptions) because the roads wind more and the speed limit is generally around 80kph even on straight roads.