Norway or Ireland? (or both!)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10th, 2014, 10:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in the preliminary stages of thinking about my next travel adventure. I had thought it would be Ireland, but now I'm thinking about Norway for it's photographic possibilities. I've never been to either country. I just found out that airfare would only be $100 more if I included stops to both places. Maybe one week in Norway and two in Ireland? I did a 4-week journey through England this past summer, and I was fine with the length of time, but I didn't have to deal with an airport transfer while there. I rented a car and had the same car for four weeks.

So my post has a several layers: Should I consider doing both? Or should I pick either Ireland or Norway and save the other for another time, 2) What is. the best way to see the best fjords? By car? Or a combination of car/ ferry? The guidebook I have is slightly confusing. I did read about the "Nutshell" tours. 3) If I decide to do ONLY Norway, what are the must-see areas (with the idea of spending two weeks)?
Old Nov 10th, 2014, 11:24 AM

Have you looked at the comparative budgets? In Ireland prices are higher than in most of the US - but those in Norway are probably double. If cost is no issue then you can see parts of both countries - but not all of them.

I frankly liked Ireland MUCH more - but I'm much more a city - with museum, cathedral, castle, theater - person than a hike through the countryside one. While the fjords are gorgeous I found much of the countryside to be boring - a lot flat with scrub oak (very different than NY, which I am used to - and which is gorgeous - green rolling countryside with adorable farms and charming vilages).
Old Nov 10th, 2014, 11:43 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your feedback, nytraveler. Much appreciated! I'm more of a country person. I skipped London last trip in favor of the English countryside (though I did visit York and Bath). I believe I could see the best fjord area and surroundings in a week, and then move on to the west coast of Ireland.
Old Nov 10th, 2014, 11:56 AM

That is what I would do susan. Norway is very expensive so a week there would be fine. I love Bergen and it's also the place were you can head off for the various NIN tours.
Old Nov 10th, 2014, 12:02 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, nanabee! I think this is what I'm going to do. Maybe I can fly into Bergen instead of Oslo.
Old Nov 10th, 2014, 12:20 PM

I'm not big on saving places for another time. The other time often never comes. Norway can be very expensive or tolerable if you don't mind buying some food in stores, limiting alcohol, staying in modest accommodation.

If you are interested in photography you can't do much better than the west coast of both countries. We loved the interior of Norway as well. And a car is a good idea.

Ten days in each?
Old Nov 10th, 2014, 12:36 PM

If you go to Norway head for the Lofoten and Vesteralen islands, especially if you are a photographer.

Really expensive country, but consider renting a holiday home in the islands to use as a base. Self catering will save you money.

You could visit Bergen, then take the Hurtigruten to Svolvaer and rent a car there.
Old Nov 10th, 2014, 12:38 PM
Original Poster

Good point in your first 2 sentences, coldsphere. Do you think I will need 10 days in Norway? Could I see the best in 8? I wanted 2 weeks in Ireland.
Old Nov 10th, 2014, 01:12 PM

Susan if you want two weeks in Ireland you should take two weeks. I would not move around too much in Norway. Depending on the time of year you may run into bad weather. And in some places you will just want to sit and look around. It is very dramatic.
Old Nov 10th, 2014, 01:23 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, coldsphere. I'll be going in July.
Old Nov 10th, 2014, 08:07 PM

Susan, L.A.

There is the very old saying that a picture is worth 1,000 words....so I'll share my very amateur pics to give you a feel for beautiful Norway. You might get an idea or two. I hope you decide to take in the Lofotens...pix may sway you.

https://picasaweb.google.com/stuartt...uHk6iIgbSEgAE#
Old Nov 10th, 2014, 09:02 PM
Original Poster

tower: Thank you so much for providing this photo gallery. Earlier this evening I booked my airline tickets -- 2 weeks Ireland, about 8 days, Norway. With that amount of time, what do you think I should see? Sognefjord is the main draw for me. Someone just sent me an article about Reine, but it looks far from Bergen. Any suggestions? Also, I have until tomorrow night to cancel the airline ticket if I decide I want more time there. What time of year were you there?
Old Nov 11th, 2014, 02:19 AM

I don't know where nytraveler stayed when she visited Ireland, pr where she stays in the US, but I found lodgings in Ireland to be much cheaper, especially if you compare Dublin hotel prices to hotel prices in US cities like NYC and SF or DC, and countryside stays in Ireland offer charming accommodations at attractive prices, not to mention that they are totally safe, which you usually cannot find at low prices in the US. Irish restaurants run the full range when it comes to prices, so that is flexible and no need to spend a fortune, and again, food and drink at the best restaurant in Dublin or the countryside may be cheaper than anything I would expect to find around the New York area for comparable quality. Can't speak to car rental price comparisons, but spending 2 weeks traveling around the US with quality lodgings and food would likely cost a lot more than a similar 2 week trip to Ireland. Spain and Germany or Greece might be cheaper, but not the US unless you are using coupons or eating the Early Bird special every day.
Old Nov 11th, 2014, 04:39 AM

Obviously no one can all of any country in a few weeks and I have to disagree with cold here, I think you can 'save places for another time'. I've been going places for years, at first just going for a few days, and then returning to many of them for more in-depth visits.

I went to Norway last summer for just four days and had a great time. Of course with that amount of time I had no illusions that I was seeing 'all' or even a big chunk of Norway. But from my research I felt Bergen and the Sognefjord were the main things I wanted to see and I wasn't disappointed. I stayed in Bergen the whole time and did a day trip on Norway in a Nutshell.

Here's my trip report: http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...r-four-day.cfm

Here's my photos - www.pbase.com/annforcier/norway
Old Nov 11th, 2014, 05:30 AM

Ireland is my soul's home - I've been back several times (trip reports on my name). I think they are both magical places! West coast of Ireland is absolutely fantastic if you love stunning countryside and cliffs.
Old Nov 11th, 2014, 06:53 AM

Susan...good split between Norway and Ireland. We were in Norway in August...still cold enough for a sweater or jacket or both.
Sognefjord is gorgeous...but if you decide on Norway in a Nutshell, you'll see two fjords in one day. Geiranger Fjord can be experienced from Alesund which can be reached by car from Bergen.

The Lofotens can be reached by ferry from Bodo. You can rent a car in Bodo, take the car ferry and have it for your drive through a goodly part of the islands. Reine (see pix) is outstanding but there are other towns equally so. 8 dats will be kkind of tight but can be done.

Two weeks in Ireland will gve you Dublin, and the the west coast without too much of a rush. Good combo.
Old Nov 11th, 2014, 07:38 AM
Original Poster

sandralist: thanks for your comments about costs in Ireland. That's encouraging.

Isabel: Thanks so much for sharing your report and photos! This does help me! Maybe 8 days is too much? I tried to buy a package with a flight to Bergen (instead of Oslo) but prices were too high. So as it stands, I'm flying from Dublin to Oslo, but in my research have found that the train ride to Bergen comes with fantastic views! It's an 8 hour ride, though. Maybe I will rent a car in Bergen. Norway in a Nutshell is still confusing to me.

GreenDragen: Thanks for your vote for the beauty of Ireland!

tower: I appreciate your insight. From my research, it looks like Reine (in Lofotens) is 24 hours by car from Bergen? How did you get there? Not sure I can squeeze that in.

My current trip report is about half written (with photos) and is here:
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...ide-photos.cfm
Old Nov 11th, 2014, 10:06 AM

I'm still looking for the flat countryside and scrub oak on the photos of Norway. Is scrub oak known by another name outside of the US?
Old Nov 11th, 2014, 10:21 AM

A city person might think this was flat scrub somethingorother:

http://tinyurl.com/l5vuvs8
Old Nov 11th, 2014, 11:05 AM

Susan,

Like Nytraveler, I am more of a city person; cafes, museums and all that, but the West Coast of Ireland has dramatic cliffs, a bareness (you might say bleakness) and a rawness and sense of isolation that I think a person who enjoys countryside, and most photographers, would love. It is also very atmospheric with wonderful skies, and rainbows - the first I had seen in along time - and they seem to hang in the sky forever. Even given that I am not into hiking or countryside for more than a half hour, the green and rock cliffs are awe inspiring and magnetic.

The Irish people are so warm and welcoming. If you can stay at some small, really homey, BnBs, that would be fun and give you more of the culture.

If you do go to Dublin, the photography museum is fantastic in that it is a history of Ireland in Photographs, and very interesting. The Art Museum in Dublin is also outstanding. It does not seem to get much notice from tourists, but it has an outstanding collection of very fine pictures.

If you are not a vegetarian, be sure to try Irish "lamb" stew.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -