Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Norway itinerary help needed - A lot of it! (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/norway-itinerary-help-needed-a-lot-of-it-1664983/)

excited_confused Mar 20th, 2019 04:48 PM

Norway itinerary help needed - A lot of it!

Just decided on a 9 day trip to Norway from June 28th - July 7th. Best flight options are into Stockholm and out of Oslo but can do a round trip to Oslo from Boston as well, just has a longer layover. Was thinking of doing 2 nights in Stockholm, 2 nights somewhere in northern Norway for the midnight sun, 2 nights in Bergen, one night in Flam as pat of the NIN and the last night in Oslo. But this is subject to change. Our flight back from Oslo does not leave until the evening.

Our main interests are natural beauty/the fjords but not sure if we will get to see enough of those with this itinerary. Would like to get a little hiking in too. Would love to do the Hurtigruten for a day at least but not sure where to fit it in and which sector to choose. We will not be driving so transportation becomes a bit of an issue. Are there any other shorter fjord tours that we could take from one of the other places on our itinerary? (Just don't want to break the bank). And which place in Northern Norway would be the best one to fly into? Looking for suggestions, please!

Tickets to Stockholm or Oslo are on hold for 24 hours so trying to come up with somewhat of a plan! It may be easier to get to our next destination from Oslo rather than Stockholm and that would give us an extra night in Norway since we would not have to spend 2 nights, just dislike the idea of a 5+ hour stopover in London!

Looking desperately for help from Fodorites as usual! Thanks so much!

thursdaysd Mar 20th, 2019 05:03 PM

Just one day jetlagged (?) day in Stockholm is far too little. If you want to see fjords, do a multinight Hurtigruten cruise out of Bergen and save Stockholm for another trip.

excited_confused Mar 20th, 2019 06:12 PM

True thursdaysd, was only leaning towards Stockholm because of the shorter flight time.
2 days on Hurtigruten from Bergen would get me to Trondheim, would that be scenic enough? Was really hoping to do the Lofoten islands but can't figure out how to work that in.

menachem Mar 21st, 2019 02:31 AM

Originally Posted by excited_confused (Post 16890931)
True thursdaysd, was only leaning towards Stockholm because of the shorter flight time.
2 days on Hurtigruten from Bergen would get me to Trondheim, would that be scenic enough? Was really hoping to do the Lofoten islands but can't figure out how to work that in.

No. That stretch is the most boring one, imo, and I've done it twice. Most spectacular is northern Norway by Hurtigruten, especially going to Lofoten, or around Tromsø.

excited_confused May 15th, 2019 07:29 PM

Hi, have a better idea of my itinerary now so was hoping to get some help to button it up. We will be in Stockholm for 2 nights, followed by Bergen for 3. That leaves 2 nights before we get to Oslo, We could do one night in Flam while on the NIN or if Flam feels too touristy, we could take the ferry to Balestrand from Flam and return the next day to continue NIN. Or we could do one night in each - Balestrand and Flam. Any votes for one v/s the others(?

We are also open to suggestions for any other scenic place we could go to from Bergen for one night. Or even a day trip on a fjord that would be different than the one we are doing on NIN. Don't mind renting a car and doing some driving especially if it is scenic (v/s tunnels), just not too much. Please advise. Thanks in advance!

menachem May 15th, 2019 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by excited_confused (Post 16920052)
Hi, have a better idea of my itinerary now so was hoping to get some help to button it up. We will be in Stockholm for 2 nights, followed by Bergen for 3. That leaves 2 nights before we get to Oslo, We could do one night in Flam while on the NIN or if Flam feels too touristy, we could take the ferry to Balestrand from Flam and return the next day to continue NIN. Or we could do one night in each - Balestrand and Flam. Any votes for one v/s the others(?

We are also open to suggestions for any other scenic place we could go to from Bergen for one night. Or even a day trip on a fjord that would be different than the one we are doing on NIN. Don't mind renting a car and doing some driving especially if it is scenic (v/s tunnels), just not too much. Please advise. Thanks in advance!

Why not go to Ålesund instead of Bergen? That way you have Geiranger nearby, can take the ferry out to Hellesylt, even go further afield to explore Sognefjell and Sognefjord.

excited_confused May 16th, 2019 06:31 PM

Menachem, too late for that unfortunately. Just booked my Stockholm-Bergen flights a week ago!

I'm sure there must be some amazing place near Bergen that we could do a day trip too, hopefully a bit off the beaten path!

And does anyone have any opinions on Flam v/s Balestrand for a night or both?
Thanks!

menachem May 16th, 2019 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by excited_confused (Post 16920619)
Menachem, too late for that unfortunately. Just booked my Stockholm-Bergen flights a week ago!

I'm sure there must be some amazing place near Bergen that we could do a day trip too, hopefully a bit off the beaten path!

And does anyone have any opinions on Flam v/s Balestrand for a night or both?
Thanks!

As to your last question: Neither. But that's my own highly personal preference.

Every Norwegian city has its "wild nature area". And in Bergen that's Fløyen, and its surroundings. Bergen itself is pretty amazing, at least to me. It's my favorite city in Norway.

Sberg May 17th, 2019 03:24 PM

Don't stay in Flam, stay in Balestrand. Flam is full of tourists due to NIN and the large ferries. Balestrand is beautiful!